Caribou Gear Tarp

Lot to Lot?

VikingsGuy

My context -- I am starting to reload as a bolt action rifle hunter, not a F-class shooter. or AR-guy All the bolt rifles I keep are 1MOA with good quality factory ammo and I am not interested in chasing gnats eyelash precision. I am starting to reload because I am a tinkerer and I like the thought of hunting with loads I worked up for my gun and my hunting situation, and because I want to shoot the bullet and fps of my choosing, not what happens to be at Cabelas today.

With that in mind, how big a deal is lot to lot variation in powders? I would much rather buy powder by the pound as I need it due to my relatively low volume ammo usage (hunter usage, not bench competitor), but I hear folks saying you should by multiple 8 pounders and bullets by the thousands to avoid lot changes. Is this just relevant for the bench-rest precision shooters, or is lot to lot variation really enough that a hunter/hobbyist should be worried about too?

With bullets I've not see enough to bother with, but with powder and primers I've seen enough that I am cautious. I buy by the pound, but once I have a load I like I buy in more bulk and mass produce.

I agree with pointer. I usually buy powder in 8 pound kegs once I have a load that I like.

Keep several different 1lbers around for load development.

IME, I haven't noticed huge swings in velocity lot to lot, but I know it happens.

Bullets I usually buy them 500-1000 at a time too once I decide which ones I'm going to use, not because they change, but to avoid paying for shipping multiple times.

I agree that powder can be different from lot to lot. It can cause an over pressure problem at worst , but usually just causes a less accurate or consistent load.
I used to buy plenty of one lot in a powder I used the most. But now I just make sure I have plenty to last till spring of each year. Then I run a short loading with the new powder to check through my rifles during my summer shooting sessions.
That gives me time to adjust my load if I have to, before season comes in the fall.
I haven't had an issue for several years now with the Alliant powders I use now. But with the exception of the magnums, a pound of powder is all I use in most of my calibers in an average years shooting. I shoot my .300 win mag the most and obviously a large magnum case burns more powder.
I suspect most guys only use a pound of powder a year, or less for several rifles combined.

If you like to shoot alot or plan too, then kegs in bulk are a good idea. If you don't want to worry about tweaking your pet loads then again buy an amount of it in the same lot.
The large kegs usually aren't stocked in my local shops that carry reloading supplies. So I would have to order special or buy multiple singles and check the lot numbers.
I just buy a couple pounds at a time at most these days.
Seems every couple years they come out with a new powder type to try. I'm still waiting to run out of Reloader 22 so I can switch to the Reloader 23 I played with last year.
Glad I didn't buy large kegs of my old IMR powders. I like the Alliant pwders much better in my rifles.
That is something to keep in mind before you dive into a bucket of powder.

Buying components in quantity is always the best solution for consistency but even doing that you end up with different lots of primer, powder and bullets - you just do it less often.
Ask Santa to bring you a decent chronograph if you do not have one and keep good notes - when you have to change something just check it on you chrony.

Definitely buy powder in at least 1lb increments, and bullets by the 50. I don't shoot enough to buy more than a pound or 2 at a time and 50 bullets, but when I load my big rifles they sure eat the powder.

For hunting, you will not notice a difference between lot to lot in these quantities, or at least we never have in over 40 years of reloading. Just think of all the guys, Fin included, that buy factory ammo which is nowhere near as precise as hand loading and they do just fine with accuracy and killing chit. Matter of fact, they are good enough to have a tv show, podcast, and forum so this is not something to worry about :)

For your intended purposes/needs, don't worry about lot to lot variances. You are clear on your expectations, so start reloading, don't sweat the small stuff and make it fun. Learn the basics and be precise in all of your measurements.

I agree with fairchase. For you intended purpose, I doubt you’d see any difference.

I wouldn't go lot to lot without reevaluating each lot. As an example, when I first worked up a load for my 6.5x284 I settled on 58.5gr of Retumbo. Once the first pound was gone I went and bought 5 pounds of a new lot. After running through a chrono, I had to drop to 56.5gr to get the same velocity that I'd settled on from my first lot. It's towards the top end and 58.5 with the 2nd lot would definitely have caused pressure problems. Basically, if you aren't near the max for the powder, you should be ok...but if you are anywhere near the max recommended I would be very cautious when you move to a new lot.

For your intended purposes/needs, don't worry about lot to lot variances. You are clear on your expectations, so start reloading, don't sweat the small stuff and make it fun. Learn the basics and be precise in all of your measurements.

I don't think I ever heard anyone say that before. But, I could not agree more. There may be variations lot to lot but I have never noticed it! For most of us we never really will see it is for no other reason the biggest thing wrong with our load is the shooter! If the shooter can't shoot every shot the same way, he'll never realize the potential of his rifle, regardless the lot of powder he use's!

I have a 338LM that I shoot out to one mile and will hit a 2'x2' gong more times than not at that distance. For a rig like that, I will measure and control all that I can (e.g. neck wall thickness, neck tension with bushings, weight cases/bullets, annealing, etc, etc). Reloading can be as simple or as complex as your want but in the end, it is suppose to be a fun and enjoyable hobby.

Back