Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Follow the Founders, privatize public lands

Oak

Expert
I don't have time to participate much, but I thought this would be a good article to discuss. Thoughts?

Follow the Founders and privatize public lands

It’s time to embrace the Founders’ principles and vision for land ownership in the United States. The federal government’s commercial grazing lands and timberlands should be privatized. We are not talking about national parks, wildlife refuges, national conservation areas, national monuments, wilderness areas, national historic sites, national memorials, national battlefields, national recreational areas, wild and scenic rivers, national seashores and lake shores, and national trails. These lands would be excluded from privatization.

Wow. Hanke sure doesn’t pull any punches... for the life of me i can’t wrap my head around this position. It is extremely shortsighted and incredibly wreckless. Anyone denying the full on assualt to our public lands needs to have a serious moment of self reflection.

Big Fin posted this a while back. Hanke definitely has his own vision of the world... and it's pretty great... if you have a pile of cash.

"A self-promoter whose image as a successful country doctor has been pumped up by resume inflation". -Krugman

This the one that catches my eye, from a guy who claims to have insider connections as Hanke at times implies....

"The Sagebrush Rebels advocate a transfer of lands owned by the federal government to the states, a position adopted today by President Trump and his secretary of the interior, Ryan Zinke."

That's terrible. When Hanke writes this I shake my head.

We are not talking about national parks, wildlife refuges, national conservation areas, national monuments, wilderness areas, national historic sites, national memorials, national battlefields, national recreational areas, wild and scenic rivers, national seashores and lake shores, and national trails.

He doesn't elucidate why we shouldn't privatize those kinds of lands, but he misses the big picture. I can wager that any reasons he comes up with to not privatize lands under those categories, are the same reasons we shouldn't privatize any of our public lands or transfer them to the states. It's not like the virtue of those lands ends at their arbitrary boundaries, for their greatest virtue is the fact that we all own them, regardless of their status on the continuum of pristineness. Whether beautiful mountain meadow or windswept winter stubble, the fact that No Trespassing signs don't exist on public lands is a virtue so great that we can't afford to jeopardize it. Sportsmen should see right through the malignant intentions of this economist. Now we wait to see if Zinke turns.

Last edited:
Though I'm not for privatization of any category, but I'd just as soon the National Parks be the first category of public lands to be privatized...

This kind of crap is infuriating. Hopefully regular folks who read Forbes will do a little critical thinking and see through it. How would privatizing our public land be good for anyone besides the fabulously wealthy--or foreign enterprises. That'll go over well, large chunks of our country being owned by the Chinese, Saudis, whomever wants to buy it...

....a position adopted today.......

But wait. What... What does this mean???? Maybe just a (nother) misunderstanding, or maybe shoddy journalism by the Forbes folks?.....

I can see where the argument can be made that vast public lands were not a part of the original plan for America. On the other hand, wilderness and wild places are an essential part of the American experience. We went West to the future for years. Now we've made it to the end of westward expansion. What do we do now?

Academic tool. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Hanke

How can he speak what position President Trump and Secretary Zinke have?

He may or may not be able to but he can shoot it down. I have asked both Secretary Zinke and Press Secretary Heather Swift if Hanke was lying. So far neither one has responded. I asked again today with still no luck.

I have no doubt they know about the article since Buster also read the article that showed he didn’t know to rig his own rod.

Last edited:
The part of this which sticks out to me is the repeated reference to the Founding Fathers. What did the country look like then? What percentage of the population could hunt their own land? What percentage worked out of doors, not needing a place to go to escape the cubicle? What portion would have starved if they did not have their own land to hunt and farm? This seems idiotic to me. Should we adopt their view points on other issues that have a drastically different image than today?

Seem very irrational that the founding fathers would want to have the same system as where they came from. There was not public land even back then in Europe. If they got caught stealing game from the royal landowner they would be thrown in jail even if they were just trying to feed their starving family.
By all means let's sell all our public lands to the richest of the rich and see where that gets us.

F6021.png

Some clarification.

zGB8Qlj.jpg

Back