New reticle or CDS retrofit?

Tim433

Hey all, been searching the forums and haven’t had any luck finding the answer to my question, so here it is.

I have a Leupold VX-1 3-9x50mm on my rifle. I’m planning on several upgrades this hunting off season, one of which being either a new reticle or a CDS retrofit. What would you guys recommend?

I like the holdover reticles. With the wire reticles in the vx 1 you will be limited on choices though. I have a vx2 (wire ret.) with the long range duplex and like it very much. I think you will have a 50/50 split on who prefers cds.

If you care about accuracy, CDS/turret all the way and leave the CDS in MOA (rather than bullet specific dial). After doing the online trajectory calculations, verify drop in MOA out to your longest shot (target/gong/animal) with actual shooting at said ranges.

Personally i like MOA turrets with MOA reticle.

If i'm hunting and have the time i like to adjust the turrets.
If time is short then i use the reticle..
I have both the MOA reticle and BDC reticles.
Last doe i shot was 413 yards with Stevens 200, 7mm-08AI and Vortex Crossfire II..

If you care about accuracy, CDS/turret all the way and leave the CDS in MOA (rather than bullet specific dial). After doing the online trajectory calculations, verify drop in MOA out to your longest shot (target/gong/animal) with actual shooting at said ranges.
To do this, I would simply zero my scope and keep the CDS turret off correct?

Get an M1 turret versus a CDS. It’s made better, the M1 has a stiffer click which holds the dial in place better. The one CDS I own likes to travel clicks while it’s carried.

To do this, I would simply zero my scope and keep the CDS turret off correct?

Rather than sending your current scope off to Leupold for a turret install, you would be better offer to purchase a new production scope with the CDS turret. The CDS that will come installed will be in MOA then learn to use that MOA turret (see previous post).

Does Leupold do reticle and/or CDS retros on a VX-1? mtmuley

Yeah, any second focal plane reticle can be done and if the serial number ends with a letter they can do the CDS overhaul. Made sure to clarify with them prior to getting excited about either option.

That being said, I think for this scope, I’m going to go with a reticle change. I don’t plan on shooting past 300 yards and I’m not 100% sure the ammo I just picked up is going to be the “be all end all ammo” so that kind of eliminates the CDS. I’ll save that for a higher grade scope and possibly some hand loads down the road. Thanks everyone for you input, it’s much appreciated.

I don't believe you are understanding how a CDS or turrets works. But nonetheless, sight your rifle to hit 2" high at 100yds and not worry about using reticles or turrets since that defeats the purpose if 300yrs is your max.

With a 300 yard max you can zero @ 200 and hold dead on anywhere between 0-225 or so, 225-300 will be somewhere between the spine and vitals depending on the caliber. it can easily be determined by zeroing at 200 and then shooting a group @ 300 aiming at the same point and measuring the average drop. Then just study the anatomical measurements of the game animal you are chasing and you can figure out where to aim. No special turret or reticle needed. If you want to shoot farther save up and get a better scope. My .02

With a 300 yard max you can zero @ 200 and hold dead on anywhere between 0-225 or so, 225-300 will be somewhere between the spine and vitals depending on the caliber. it can easily be determined by zeroing at 200 and then shooting a group @ 300 aiming at the same point and measuring the average drop. Then just study the anatomical measurements of the game animal you are chasing and you can figure out where to aim. No special turret or reticle needed. If you want to shoot farther save up and get a better scope. My .02
This!! If one's only interested in 300yds, no need IMO to spend money on a turret or reticle retrofit.

After doing some more internet searching, and now reading these last two posts, I think this is the route I’ll go with my current scope. I’ll save the CDS/MOA stuff for a better optic down the road.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back