MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Our public lands need balanced — not extremist — leadership

My prediction has been and still is, Utah will be the litmus test for transferring Federal lands to the State. The continual Republican rant is that states can better manage the resources such as logging but they always, conveniently leave out the fact that State Land isn't Public Land and your right to access isn't open to public debate.

[
https://www.facebook.com/GovGaryHer...EYTi6j3z1O-eq1G9WgRheCFiJYO8LIq0dHdQ4&fref=nf
Governor Gary Herbert
December 4 at 5:14pm ·
Dear Utahns,

This has been a momentous day for Utah. I understand that while many of you are happy today, many are hurting and angry. While some of you are breathing a sigh of relief, others might be worried, picturing oil rigs in front of petroglyphs. Thank you all -- whatever side you fall on -- for making your voices heard. I am proud to say that Utahns love their public lands, and that they express that love and raise their voices.

If you are angry or disappointed in today’s decision, know this:

1. Although monument boundaries were changed, the Antiquities Act continues to protect hundreds of thousands of acres where there are extraordinary archeological and paleontological objects deserving of national monument status.

2. All the lands under discussion are still federal public lands, with specific enhanced land use protections. That will not change.

3. Energy development is not on the table in the Bears Ears Region. (You can read more here: http://bit.ly/DeptNatResourcesBearsEars)

4. Utah has a lasting commitment to protecting and conserving these public lands for coming generations, and for Native American tribes. The state of Utah is asking for congressional legislation to guarantee meaningful and lasting protection of these lands.

5. This legislation will also push for real co-management of the Bears Ears region for Native Americans with ancestral ties to this region. The monument provided just an advisory role.

6. National Monument designation does not automatically protect lands from looting, but adequate funding of the BLM will. The BLM has the power to enforce already existing federal law in these regions, and additional funding will provide better protection. The legislation our delegation is drafting will also aim to better support the BLM. (You can read more here: http://bit.ly/5MythsAboutBearsEars .)

7. Strong protections for the federal public lands that Utahns know and love are still in place. Specifically, nearly 450,000 acres of “wilderness study areas” in the Bears Ears region and nearly 800,000 acres of “wilderness study areas” in the Escalante region prohibit most motorized travel, construction of new roads and all development of oil, gas or coal. These wilderness study areas include many of the region’s iconic locations.

While there has certainly been a wide variety of opinion throughout this issue, I hope and trust that Utahns will remain engaged and involved in the process of protecting our public lands. Together, we will ensure these lands are protected and conserved. Since these lands are still under federal control, we need to pursue legislation on a national level. I hope you will stay engaged, and consider contacting Utah’s congressional delegation in support of legislation to preserve the beautiful and wild areas in question in perpetuity.

Thank you,

Governor Gary R. Herbert/QUOTE]

Our public lands need balanced — not extremist — leadership = Governor Herbert

Last edited by a moderator:
Governor Gary Herbert
December 4 at 5:14pm ·
Dear Utahns,

This has been a momentous day for Utah. I understand that while many of you are happy today, many are hurting and angry. While some of you are breathing a sigh of relief, others might be worried, picturing oil rigs in front of petroglyphs. Thank you all -- whatever side you fall on -- for making your voices heard. I am proud to say that Utahns love their public lands, and that they express that love and raise their voices.

If you are angry or disappointed in today’s decision, know this:

1. Although monument boundaries were changed, the Antiquities Act continues to protect hundreds of thousands of acres where there are extraordinary archeological and paleontological objects deserving of national monument status.

2. All the lands under discussion are still federal public lands, with specific enhanced land use protections. That will not change.

3. Energy development is not on the table in the Bears Ears Region. (You can read more here: http://bit.ly/DeptNatResourcesBearsEars)

4. Utah has a lasting commitment to protecting and conserving these public lands for coming generations, and for Native American tribes. The state of Utah is asking for congressional legislation to guarantee meaningful and lasting protection of these lands.

5. This legislation will also push for real co-management of the Bears Ears region for Native Americans with ancestral ties to this region. The monument provided just an advisory role.

6. National Monument designation does not automatically protect lands from looting, but adequate funding of the BLM will. The BLM has the power to enforce already existing federal law in these regions, and additional funding will provide better protection. The legislation our delegation is drafting will also aim to better support the BLM. (You can read more here: http://bit.ly/5MythsAboutBearsEars .)

7. Strong protections for the federal public lands that Utahns know and love are still in place. Specifically, nearly 450,000 acres of “wilderness study areas” in the Bears Ears region and nearly 800,000 acres of “wilderness study areas” in the Escalante region prohibit most motorized travel, construction of new roads and all development of oil, gas or coal. These wilderness study areas include many of the region’s iconic locations.

While there has certainly been a wide variety of opinion throughout this issue, I hope and trust that Utahns will remain engaged and involved in the process of protecting our public lands. Together, we will ensure these lands are protected and conserved. Since these lands are still under federal control, we need to pursue legislation on a national level. I hope you will stay engaged, and consider contacting Utah’s congressional delegation in support of legislation to preserve the beautiful and wild areas in question in perpetuity.

Thank you,

Governor Gary R. Herbert/QUOTE]

Our public lands need balanced — not extremist — leadership = Governor Herbert

Words as quoted above, are easy to write. Politicians excel at saying what they think people want to hear.

Then we have reality based on facts and history. Actions as linked below are a better forecast of where someone stands.

Governor Herbert signed this bill - https://le.utah.gov/~2012/bills/hbillenr/hb0148.htm

Herbert.jpg

And as of 2016, appears he still hasn't changed his position since 2012.

Herbert 2.jpg

A serious question, Quackillr.
Do you also avoid these issues and/or getting personally involved in them? Or is it just internet forum stuff that pertains to sportsmen's issues that turn you off?
Just wondering.....
There are more than a few who weren't at all fooled by the current administration as they bullshitted their way into whatever you call what we now have........

Just on the internet. Fooled? I don't think I need to state the obvious, there are other issues than just public land. I have 6 girls, 6 weddings, 6 college educations, a business, employees and taxes. I grew up 80 miles from the border hunting public land that was overrun with pot farmers from a 3rd world country. What do you suppose my opinion might be on illegal immigration?

Public land is important to me, I am willing to listen, I am willing to help if someone points me in the right direction. So what do we do to stop this person from becoming director?

Last edited:

I’m having trouble reconciling this with the fact that Rep. Stewart (R-UT) asked for and was granted consent in July to replace Mr. Chaffetz as the first sponsor of H.R. 622, which removes law enforcement authority from BLM and Forest Service. They clearly don’t intend to let that bill die. Surely Herbert is aware of this. I’m curious what other “supportive” legislation they are drafting?

Just on the internet. Fooled? I don't think I need to state the obvious, there are other issues than just public land. I have 6 girls, 6 weddings, 6 college educations, a business, employees and taxes. I grew up 80 miles from the border hunting public land that was overrun with pot farmers from a 3rd world country. What do you suppose my opinion might be on illegal immigration?

Public land is important to me, I am willing to listen, I am willing to help if someone points me in the right direction. So what do we do to stop this person from becoming director?

Thanks for the reply.
First off, the last sentence of my post wasn't directed at you (my bad), it was merely a general statement in line with what Buzz opened his post with.
And again, I was merely wondering if you get involved in this stuff at the grass roots level.
But your response reminds me of how the issues that lead somebody to have a political leaning can often come with another set of circumstances that may not be so desirable. How that gets remedied is way beyond me.
I try like hell to frame all my participation on here in the vain of being a public land hunter (angler, etc), leaving all other political issue opinions out of my posts. But, I guess that may be easier for me than some........... being a one issue kinda guy:rolleyes::)

I appreciate you saying this BigFin. I have tired of the personal attacks veiled in public land poilitics. I don't like what Zinke has done in some instances, and when he moves in directions that do not promote public lands he should be held accountable.

I wish BHA would also learn this tact. Instead of uniting a hunting brotherhood, it will divide.

Do you have some examples of where BHA has gotten too personal in your opinion? How does that contrast with where BHA has praised actions favoring access?

I’m having trouble reconciling this with the fact that Rep. Stewart (R-UT) asked for and was granted consent in July to replace Mr. Chaffetz as the first sponsor of H.R. 622, which removes law enforcement authority from BLM and Forest Service. They clearly don’t intend to let that bill die. Surely Herbert is aware of this. I’m curious what other “supportive” legislation they are drafting?

In the links and two points.

1) Herbert is not Chaffetz.
2) 622 does make sense to use local law enforcement to protect areas they live and patrol. Rural towns and counties are crushed with responsibilities associated with federal lands. Search rescue, traffic, accidents, drug-alcohol, etc, etc.

Myth: National monument status will protect the rich archaeological sites and artifacts in the Bears Ears region.

Fact: Looting and vandalism are ongoing problems because the region lacks sufficient federal law enforcement. Existing federal laws such as the Archaeological Resources Protection Act and the Paleontological Resources Preservation Act are just two federal laws that protect precious cultural and scientific sites on federal land regardless of status. But the Bureau of Land Management’s law enforcement presence, once a formidable force in the area, has steadily declined due to federal budget constraints and workforce reductions. The designation of BENM brings no guarantees of improved law enforcement, but it does guarantee growing tourist visitation to vulnerable archaeological sites that will spread BLM resources even thinner and likely aggravate problems with looting and vandalism.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve yet to see rural counties “crushed” by federal land presence, and I’ve worked in a number of them. Don’t forget, those people allegedly taxing the infrastructure beyond sustainability also contribute a large chunk of money to the local economy. I would suggest they are not utilizing funding sources in an efficient manner (i.e. local bed taxes,etc.

The American Sportsman needs Big Fin and Buzz on prime time Tv, Someone call Hanity. Our message needs to be heard by more than the congregation!

622 does make sense to use local law enforcement to protect areas they live and patrol. Rural towns and counties are crushed with responsibilities associated with federal lands

Given that many county prosecutors are crushed with DUIs, domestic violence, and property crimes, how do you reconcile this with the added burden of now prosecuting federal resource violations? Ask your local DNR guys how much priority state wildlife violations receive in the bigger hopper of criminal justice. I think the answer you get would likely dismay you. If a state resource can't get much attention or priority, how much do you think a federal resource will?

You can't on one hand say federal lands are crushing rural counties and then ask for more responsibility associated with said federal lands.

Some federal agencies already have contracts with local and state agencies for enforcement patrols, and as well they should. However, to put that solely on those entities would be an enormous mistake, IMO and IME.

Do you have some examples of where BHA has gotten too personal in your opinion? How does that contrast with where BHA has praised actions favoring access?

You can check thier FB page for both the national and the Montana chapter for this same type of content as OP.

The American Sportsman needs Big Fin and Buzz on prime time Tv, Someone call Hanity. Our message needs to be heard by more than the congregation!
Buzz has a face for radio... ;) :D

That said, both doing a good job of articulating the issues with sound facts.

You can check thier FB page for both the national and the Montana chapter for this same type of content as OP.

I can tell you that BHA here in Wyoming has taken on some issues that have united Sportsmen here. When you can get 80-100 people to attend a meeting on a state land transfer, a boatload to sign a petition, and ultimately stop something that would have a negative impact on access, you've united sportsmen. Further, this one issue brought together others that DONT hunt and fish, groups that may not ever work on a common goal again. The positive ripple effects from what happened are still being felt today...and its made things better here for the Sportsmen, the OSLI, and the GF.

If you're looking for a group that's afraid of taking on controversial issues that have a negative impact on hunting, angling, conservation, habitat, etc...BHA probably isn't for you. But, tip-toeing around the issues so that you don't offend someone, that doesn't work. Further, if BHA doesn't know what the problems are, specifically (I believe jryoungs ask of you), BHA cant solve them or even explain the "why". IME, BHA doesn't do things or take positions on things just for the fun of it, they have a reason, and a good one.

Not that anyone needs to go out of their way to offend anyone, but some issues you're going to have to jump off the fence, take a position, and let the chips fall where they may. If someone is butt-hurt about it...get over it or die with it, either way is fine with me. I got work to do and someone's feelings getting hurt sounds like a personal problem. I have future generations of hunters, fishermen, wildlife habitat, public lands, and other issues that need to be solved sooner rather than later. Its unfortunate, but someone's feelers aren't my priority, and never will be. Never did like the mamby pamby approach that some take...facts matter to me.

Buzz has a face for radio... ;) :D

That said, both doing a good job of articulating the issues with sound facts.

I was going to say that...and if I had to be on TV with Hannity, I'd be lucky to not be strangling the guy within 30 seconds.

Randy has a much better temperament for the TV gig, I've been told I'm not diplomatic enough. Not sure why???????

I would pay good $ to see you or Randy on Hannity talking about this issue,Buzz.

BHA had a pretty strong and poorly worded initial response to the Monument decision, much like Patagonia, claiming the land had been stolen! I believe internally there was some mis-communication regarding what type of statement they should make on social media (call it a hunch). All FB posts after that initial post have been much more measured, which I appreciate.

Back