Help to age this buck!

MITCHMO

I'm hunting late muzzle loader season and saw 3 nice bucks yesterday morning. Passed on this guy because I couldn't tell if mature or not. So these are post rut and worn down bucks(no swollen necks). Let me know what you guys think. That way if I see him again, maybe he won't get away twice.
IMG_1387.jpg

I'm with others at 3 1/2 years, his body isn't mature enough to convince me he's older. Spine, brisket, facial attributes all point to a youthful buck. He'll be a dandy though if he makes it, I won't pass judgment if he doesn't!

He looks 3.5 or maybe 4.5 to me. But definitely at least 3.5. He has got a little bit of a belly to him. Most of our bucks around here don't get that until 4.5.

Sounds like the consensus is about the same. Probably the right choice to let em go so they can grow. Happy to have venison so now there is something to look forward to next year. I have a really cool video of a nice young buck that I will try to figure out how to post. Tonight is the last night on this farm so we will see if one steps out. Being from an area with far less deer it has been really painful to let bucks like these walk.

Well I couldn't take it. Last night in a different stand, I had a buck step out and he looked way different to me. I couldn't tell on the rack, but the body appeared bigger so I figured 4.5+. I had him at 150 yards and piled him up with the ol muzzle loader. Unfortunately he was 3.5. Still an awesome deer but I need to settle down I guess. The second biggest whitetail I've got. The first was in the same property last year and that deer was a tank.

IMG_0632.jpg
Sorry about rotation

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back