PEAX Equipment

Remington X-Mark Pro Trigger

After educating myself via the good ole youtube, I officially voided the warranty on my Rem 700 tonight. I took it apart, picked away the epoxy or whatever it is Remington put on the seer adjustment screw at the factory, and proceeded to experiment with it using the Wheeler trigger pull scale I bought the other day. I was able to get it down to between 2 1/4 and 2 pounds. I beat on it with a plastic hammer, cycled the bolt as hard as I could, banged it up and down on the ground, and short of throwing it off the back deck, did everything I could think of to get it to slam fire, but it seems ok. Next step is shooting it at the range again. Trigger feels pretty darn good now, but oddly it's not entirely consistent. I can measure my .308 (Tikka) and it's just a tick over 2lb every single time. The X-Mark Pro will break between about 2 1/4 and 2lbs. Hardly enough for a guy like me to tell a difference from one shot to the next, but it's there.

I think eventually I will replace it with a Timney, but I have a few other things I want to buy before I get to that.

Brian
Did you replace the spring? That will make a big difference in how consistent it is. Checkout Ernie the gunsmith. I think he sells a kit for the Xmark.

No, I didn't replace anything. I first just wanted to see what I could by adjusting the screws Remington forbids us end users to adjust.

Buddy in Bozeman got a new 700 SPS in 7mm rem mag, we went to the range and he was all over the place. I mean 9 inches high then 5 inches low... anyway I took a shot and man was that the heaviest trigger I had ever pulled, felt like a ruger LCP. Needless to say that thing got switched out immediately.

The Walker trigger was arguably the best factory trigger in a "mass" produced firearm......but a few " home gunsmiths" decided to adjust a few things followed by even more important safety practices and the less than disireable X-Mark trigger evolves. I would replace it with a Timney or Jewell trigger.

All the Remington triggers can be adjusted by someone with reasonable mechanical skill levels to perform great on a good hunting rifle.
The timney trigger makes it easy for almost all to use as is or adjust confidently.

I recently bought a Remington Sendero second hand. The guy I bought it from bought it new November 2017. So basically the rifle is a few months old. I tried to get this rifle to shoot but it was a stinker. It would not eject or extract the fired casing. It had headspace issues. I had watched a YouTube video on how to lighten the trigger pull and done the work myself and had the trigger around 2 pounds. I called Remington and told them of my troubles. I also told them the serial number started with RR. I had seen on the net that the Remington’s with the serial number starting with RR were basket cases. When I said I had a RR rifle the nice lady put me on hold for several minutes. When she returned she told me to send the gun back to them. I did. They had the rifle for one full week and sent it back with the work order. They done quite a bit of work but the barrel was supposed to be free floated. The forearm was pushing upward very hard on the barrel.
The rifle now shoots 2” groups versus the 3-4” groups it had been shooting. I was in the process of unloading it but did not want to pass along a stinker. So yesterday I worked over a 1/8 th of an inch of the barrel channel to get the barrel floated. I was able to get the rifle to shoot a three shot group the size of a quarter yesterday. That’s with the 6-8 pound trigger. When Remington had my rifle they removed my worked trigger and replaced it with another gorilla trigger.
I really appreciate Remington taking my rifle and repairing their booger work and getting the rifle back to me. However I now understand why they are going belly up. This is from someone who has many Remington firearms that a works of art and super accurate. My next rifle will NOT have Remington’s name on it.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back