Yes....another which caliber

Would the CTR make a decent stalking rifle, or is it too heavy?
It might be considered heavy compared to other model Tikka's, but it's not when compared to other factory rifles. It'd be lighter than the Ruger MKII I usually use. I think it'd be a very good choice for a first rifle and I'd suggest you get it in 308 or 6.5 Creedmoor. With proper bullet selection, either will work for the game you mentioned and both of good, accurate factory ammo available for hunting and/or practice.

PS- I disregard most posts that talk about "energy"...

I would suggest anything from a 260 Rem to a 505 Gibbs. Legal pretty much where ever you go and with proper bullet's properly used, good for any game! If all I could have now was one rifle, it would be my 6.5x55. That may change later on today!

After all that has been said so far, I'm thinking my priorities are all wrong.....now thinking really good scope, factory rifle (upgrade as budget allows). Still leaning toward a non magnum. I like the 260 option, but don't see a lot of factory offerings. Back to the drawing board.

I wouldn’t buy one rifle. I have two that are my “go to’s”

6.5 x 47 Lapua

.300 wsm

All the rest is just white noise....

After all that has been said so far, I'm thinking my priorities are all wrong.....now thinking really good scope, factory rifle (upgrade as budget allows). Still leaning toward a non magnum. I like the 260 option, but don't see a lot of factory offerings. Back to the drawing board.

Tikka has a pile of .260 options. That said, I would go 7-08 or Creedmoor over .260. More ammo options as far as I could tell.

Very smart move, IMO on the priorities. I'd rather have a "bargain" rifle and a "good" scope than the reverse. For factory ammo, I'd go 6.5 Creedmoor over the 260. It's much better supported with factory ammo.

.280 (Ackley if you want more sexy) or 30-06....VX5HD

I have a Remington model seven in .260. it is not a youth model. Most don't realize the sevens come in an adult size as well. If you want a .260 or a creedmore I would look at the model seven before deciding.
Love mine tremendously.

Yes it is physics, but simple physics. Greater mass at same speed has more energy, period. Never thought I would use my mechanical engineering degree on the internet, but it sure has come in handy lol

Nothing personal, but one has to logically think about this for a second.

Not as simple as you suggest...with your mechanical engineering degree, calculate the BC into the equation. BC affects velocity downrange...a higher BC round will hold velocity and thus energy longer. That's why at 700yds they are ballistically similar....but that's a crazy comparison as most shots would be taken at 350yds and closer, at that distance there is no comparison between those two rounds.

Though technically 100% correct, I wouldn't play the Similar Energy card unless it was similar at a realistic hunting range...for me that's 250-300yds.

In this instance and situation I'll say 375H&H is more "Right".

James

Did you decide on a new rifle yet? Im now thinking I should buy the Tikka Hunter instead of the CTR...oh well tough choices. Did I read up there somewhere that my .260 outshoots a 300 wm? Just playing.....:p

I don't think that anyone on here mentioned scouring the used rifle racks at local gun shops. You'd be amazed what you'll find if you have a decent eye and a little knowledge. And there will most likely be a solid lineup of 30-06s, 308s, and .270s that will all be cheap to shoot and have plenty of whoopass when they hit something. Toss a 3-9x40 scope of any decent brand (Leupold, Nikon, Vortex, Bushnell, etc.) on there and you'll be in business.

I really think that after you get yourself a solid standby gun that will shoot 2 inch groups or less at 100 yards and get a couple of animals on the ground with it, you'll figure out what you ideally want in your dream rifle and will be able to go and put your hands on exactly what you want. There are many knowledgeable people on here who have killed countless animals with any variety of rifles. But they all have their specific rifles because they know exactly what they like.

Last edited:
30-06 all day.

Ammo at any walmart, long brass life for the reloader, WIDE range of bullet weights, long barrel life, tried and trued since 1906.

Last edited:
Tikka T3x 7mm-08 or 308 if you are worried about recoil/weight. 300 WM or 30-06 if you aren't. Leupold VX3i scope unless you are shooting past 300 yards. If you want to shoot 500 yards and further go find a long range forum :p

Oh yea...definitely scour the used racks! I found a near mint looked as if never been shot Interarms Mark X in .270 for 225 bucks last year. Guy thought it was a generic gun...haha yep. Mini mauser shot lights out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back