Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

How to Answer a Non-Hunter ?

Trigger50

I would like some feedback on how to answer an interesting question. On many occasions a friendly non-hunter has said this when we say an animal...."don't you wish you had your gun?" Or.."I bet you want to shoot it?" I usually answer..."No. I love animals. I don't want to shoot every animal I see." But many times the person gets defensive that I answered that way. Any advice?

I think that is a great opportunity to bring conservation into the conversation. Explain how you are a conservationist and what hunters have done to promote healthy populations of animals. Lots of examples out there, just pick one that applies to you or the person you are discussing with.

I personally would laugh it off and respond "No, I would rather be grilling it up into steaks or burgers, wouldn't you?" That way your friendly non-hunter may agree that meat is a common ground for both.

i usually respond the same as you did. "No i dont want to kill every animal i see. In fact i dont wish to kill most of the animals i see." never had anyone get offended.

Never had that discussion. I have been asked why I hunt, if I eat what I kill, what I hunt, etc.

My response to the question posed would be I never buy every steak or chicken in the grocery store and never shoot every animal in the woods. The nature of the question leads me to question if they think each hunter is one of two types, sociopaths (moral conscience) or psychopaths (no conscience). I find that insulting though I try to cut slack to ignorant persons. They may be, after all, sociopath or psychopath.

We all cause the destruction of life. Whether it be the farmer discing the field in spring that slices up small mammals and reptiles in order to plant carrots for the vegetarian or the shopper at the grocery store picking up a package of bacon or the hunter returning from the field with a rabbit. We eat, something died.

I prefer to supplement my meals with meat I know was free-range, not pumped full of antibiotics and properly handled from death through cooking. I hunt as a way to obtain that meat and know with certainty the meat is what should be rather than rely on someone's word.

I would like some feedback on how to answer an interesting question. On many occasions a friendly non-hunter has said this when we say an animal...."don't you wish you had your gun?" Or.."I bet you want to shoot it?" I usually answer..."No. I love animals. I don't want to shoot every animal I see." But many times the person gets defensive that I answered that way. Any advice?

Go on youtube and search "steven rinella versus vegan"......and that is all you will need.

Back