Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Any advice for a first time mule deer hunter?

duckhunt

Planning a trip for 2019 so figured might as well do some research. Already got an idea on hunt areas do to draw odds, public land, ect. Trying to do some escouting but to be honest I know nothing about mule deer. Any certain things I should be looking for such as terrain features, food sources, ect? This will be a rifle hunt on a general tag if that makes a difference. Any info would be great.

There was a pretty good thread on here a while back so I would try a search. Also use google to search for "gohunt finding mule deer". The first result on my search was an article about escouting.

I would suggest you hunt the plains. You will see more game and likely have a better overall experience for your first time than if you jump straight into a serious mountain hunt. Plus, there are some great deer on the plains if you can catch them while on public land.

I would suggest you hunt the plains. You will see more game and likely have a better overall experience for your first time than if you jump straight into a serious mountain hunt. Plus, there are some great deer on the plains if you can catch them while on public land.

I will definitely keep that option open.

I personally find mule deer hunting in some areas to be the most challenging and rewarding. The depending on where you hunt the biggest thing to be prepared for is the terrain. Mule deer live up high. In mountain states they are the last ones off the mountain in the winter. They will stay up longer than elk, which means you need to be prepared physically and mentally to go find them. Get high for a vantage point and glass, with good glass. It takes practice and experience to look for mulies sometimes. Too many people look for deer and never see them. When they bed, all you sometimes can see is an ear, or antler. Be patient and be ready. If you are rifle hunting be ready for a second chance on a mule deer if you mess up the first. Many Mule deer will take off and then stop and look behind them for another look, that may be your best chance.

I'd also sign up for the Mule Deer Foundation. Support the cause and get a cool mag with good info in it.

First, talk with some biologists about deer herd populations and health. That will help narrow down your areas to scout.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back