Trekking poles

Jlgibbon1

Looking for input on trekking poles. I've never used them and wondering if they are all that helpful. Also, advice on determining a good pair. Thanks

I used them for the first time this year on backpacking trips and all hunting season. I will never go back to hiking without them...they're literally lifesavers. I didn't want to break the bank on a set, so I went with Alpine Summit trekking poles from Amazon. They are just as lightweight and durable as any of the expensive brands, and they come with a lifetime warranty. All for about $40. Only downside is that they may be a little bit more bulky than other brands, but that doesn't bother me at all.

I have never used trekking poles and I do my share of mountain hunting. Maybe I will when I get older but I honestly can't see the benefit to using these. I don't have bad knees and don't have too much an issue with heavy meat loads. Am I missing something? It just seems like they would always be in the way.

I like them and use them most of the time unless I'm carrying my bow or something. What I find they do is not necessarily propel you along, it's more a matter of balance. When hiking over rocks, deadfall, and uneven terrain, your brain is getting sensory input from 4 appendages instead of 2 which in turn helps you maintain a good sense of balance, which in turn helps you move along more quickly while simultaneously avoid rolled ankles (which is something I've had a lot trouble with in the past few years). I'm 45 now and I anticipate I'll use them more and more as I get older.

As for a brand, I just have a pair of Walmart trekers. They're light weight and sturdy and work fine. Treking poles are useful but they are also a thing that I can't see why I'd need to spend $150 on them.

My hunting partner and I used them for the first time this season and neither of us can see hunting without them in the future. I agree with Brian, they make hiking in the backcountry much safer, especially when carrying a heavy load. We went with the Black Diamond Ergo Cork and don't have anything negative to say about them. The cork and the shape of the handles are very comfortable. I also ended up using mine as shooting sticks.

My dad and i used the cabelas brand cam lock poles. Caught them on sale for $10 a pair. Worked well for the pack out. Didnt notice as much fatigue in my hips with a heavy load.

I never used them until this year. I bought a set from Amazon, Cascade Mountain Trekking poles. Cheaper then most of the bigger names brands. I put 85 mile on in Colorado from elk this year in some harsh terrain carrying a 40lb pack. The pole make a difference at the end of the day. Great addition to the pack.

All I have to say is, put 100lbs of meat in your pack and go up/down a mountain with and without a pair. It's a world of difference. It'll help keep your balance, which will save your strength and potentially help from hurting yourself.

I can't remember the brand, but I bought mine on camofire at a discount.

I have a pair of cascade mountain tech aluminum flip locks from amazon that I paid about $23 for. I've heard of lots of guys on couple different forums say they've been very happy with thiem, and for that price I figured they were worth taking a chance on. Only used then a few times so far but they sure make a big difference carrying 30# worth of gear and my climber in the (relatively speaking) rugged area I hunt in Wisconsin.

I love my Black Diamond poles. Regardless of which brand you get, I would highly recommend flip locks (I have found twist locks are more prone to accidental release) and cork grips (much more comfortable on sweaty hands).

I love my Black Diamond poles. Regardless of which brand you get, I would highly recommend flip locks (I have found twist locks are more prone to accidental release) and cork grips (much more comfortable on sweaty hands).

Solid advice here^

I have never used trekking poles and I do my share of mountain hunting. Maybe I will when I get older but I honestly can't see the benefit to using these. I don't have bad knees and don't have too much an issue with heavy meat loads. Am I missing something? It just seems like they would always be in the way.

They do become somewhat of a hassle at time. But for those that put in serious miles with heavy packs, even not heavy packs, they really are quite remarkable. This is coming from a rather young guy, a generation that would usually turn their noses to "old people walking sticks".

It's kind like four wheel drive for your feet. Small increases in efficiency can really add up in the backcountry. Not to mention, for those that like to skimp on weight and money, they really do a pretty good job of replacing a tripod for glassing with your binoculars. Also a weight saver for people who uses tarps and tents where their trekking poles can double as the pole/poles.

Another vote for flick locks. Twist locks work fine but will likely be the first thing that fails. Also, I rarely get more than 2 seasons out of a pair regardless of how much I spend so I've found mid-priced, cork handled aluminum to be the best value for me. Color doesn't matter because I repaint mine with flat camo Krylon spray paint used for gun stocks. Works great and hides all shiny euro-trash colors these companies seem to like.

Black diamond z-poles. I hunted with a couple guys from HT in 2004 (WY) and they both had poles. I was wondering if I was with the wrong crew. Later I tried a set when no one was looking and found out what I was missing. They now go with me everywhere when the pack is on, even if they are just folded and strapped to the pack. Started with Leki twist locks. As other have mentioned, crap system. I have not tried flip-locks, but if I go away from the z-poles, this is the route I will go.

It's kind like four wheel drive for your feet. Small increases in efficiency can really add up in the backcountry.

I tried them half heartedly a few times in the 90s. I first started using them in 2012 a ton, and I will say that if you are backpacking with moderate weights, on steep off trail or deadfall, they are about as useful as anything you'll ever use. I've used/seen cheap poles used and broken on the first day of moderate use. Spend the cash, get a good pair, and you won't believe you made it without them in the past. Leki and black diamond both make great poles.

Back