Trekking poles

black diamond flic locs are what I have now, Leki makes a similar model that's just as good

I have chicken legs but otherwise no issues with knee/ankle problems. I have avoided numerous falls during pack outs on uneven terrain. There is no way I would pack out without them. They store easy and are light if you don't use them prior to the kill. I also like that they can be used for a make shift rifle rest. Bottom line, If it saves me a bad fall miles back it is worth all the $$$$.

Get good ones and don't look back. I use carbon BD. I like carbon as they are quiet when compared to aluminum.

I have a set of MSR Trekking poles and I really like them.. They are stout and have quick and simple adjustments that stay where you want them to. I can highly recommend MSR's!!

Trekking poles are a game changer. Some light weight guys are just running numbers and can’t see adding weight to gain advantage. But the extra weight of trekking poles will actually make your pack weight seem lighter.
Where I hunt I will never use a trekking pole. I use 100cm walking axes. I’ve seen to many clients fall flat on their face trusting locks on poles and strength on poles. They do get caught on brush or big rocks with that’s flip/twist locks. I won’t go into the advantages of a walking axe.

Trekking poles are a must for serious elk hunters. On our trip this year in 50 mph winds they were priceless in fighting the wind and for all-around balance. Unfortunately, we didn't get to pack anything out this year which is when trekking poles really come in handy......to help you handle the load. I use Leki Voyagers and they've worked great so far. Paid $50 for them new. Only thing is some say that the snap-lock trekking poles do better in the snow than the twist locks due to ice and packed snow jamming up the twist locks. The Voyagers are unfortunately twist locks, but I'm pretty sure they can hold more weight than some of the more expensive Leki trekking poles. If I had to do it over again though, I'd still get the Voyagers.

I borrowed a set this year in Kodiak. They really helped for the heavy loads on the way downhill. Another feature that's nice is that they also act as a shield when navigating your way through the alders and thick brush.

Back