Caribou Gear Tarp

Colorado Application Changes

Because prior to now non-residents have had to pay the cost of a tag (or thereabouts) upfront just to apply for a preference point, then be refunded most of that amount later.

I understand that, but you're going to apply for a PP code, or an actual tag just like you always have. You pay the application fee to apply. There's nothing about the change in how _tags_ are charged that has any impact on how one gets a preference point. It will not be like any of the states you asked about.

I got the new Turkey brochure in the mail yesterday and noticed that CPW will not longer require the tag fee to be fronted during the application process. Did anyone else see this? I had heard that they may be going this way, but didn't follow up or realize this had passed. I assume it will be the same for big game as well? Anyone have any insight?

Good!! It was a ridiculous thing for them to do in the first place....

Montana dropped the upfront cost a couple years back and raised the fees. I'm not sure it had much, if any effect on draw odds, or resulted in an increase of applicants.

I would suspect that the majority of people that really want to apply are already applying.

I hope your right, I really do, but I believe that my chances of ever getting a moose tag in this state just got worse, by a lot.

Montana dropped the upfront cost a couple years back and raised the fees. I'm not sure it had much, if any effect on draw odds, or resulted in an increase of applicants.

I would suspect that the majority of people that really want to apply are already applying.

It resulted in 15-20% increase across the board when they did it for Moose/Sheep/Goat.

Rough annual averages-

-----------Pre-change----Post-change
Sheep-------24,000---------27,500
Moose-------21,500---------25,900
Goat --------13,000---------16,500

I'm curious if they'll put a hold on the card (like what happens on Kickstarter), or only execute a transaction when you've drawn.

Putting a hold on the card would make a lot of sense. You still have the "you must be able to afford this" without the need to physically transfer money.

It resulted in 15-20% increase across the board when they did it for Moose/Sheep/Goat.

Rough annual averages-

Any way to break that down into the BP option only versus the actual license application?

Any way to break that down into the BP option only versus the actual license application?

Sorry my post wasn't clear, those numbers are from when Montana did the same thing. Montana didn't have a point only option until a couple months ago.

Maybe the minority here and I get the gripe from the true hardcore MSG guys but I haven't applied for the G yet because I have no real interest right now, but in 10 years when I will likely draw could be a different story. When you apply for 5 or 6 species at once it is a hit in the pocketbook. I will be one that applies now for all species because in 10 years or so when I can actually draw the tag realistically, I will be able to afford the time off and the tag cost. I like it but also get there will be point creep. So i guess i am 50/50 on the subject.

Maybe the minority here and I get the gripe from the true hardcore MSG guys but I haven't applied for the G yet because I have no real interest right now, but in 10 years when I will likely draw could be a different story. When you apply for 5 or 6 species at once it is a hit in the pocketbook. I will be one that applies now for all species because in 10 years or so when I can actually draw the tag realistically, I will be able to afford the time off and the tag cost. I like it but also get there will be point creep. So i guess i am 50/50 on the subject.

Yup you and everybody else now;):p

I'm curious if they'll put a hold on the card (like what happens on Kickstarter), or only execute a transaction when you've drawn.

Putting a hold on the card would make a lot of sense. You still have the "you must be able to afford this" without the need to physically transfer money.

I actually read in the turkey regs that they won't charge your card until after you have been notified of the draw results.

A little disclaimer, I am assuming this is all the same for big game.

Rough annual averages-

As you stated the MT odds became worse after the requirement to front the money to apply was removed and this was with a significant increase in the cost to apply each year. Before the change it costs nonresidents $45 to apply for all three. Now it costs something like $150. I have no problem fronting the large tag fees in multiple states, but am not willing to lose sizable amounts of money each year just to apply. I hope CO's change does not negatively impact the draw odds too much, but I fear with the change and no increase in fees it will hurt the odds.

Sorry my post wasn't clear, those numbers are from when Montana did the same thing. Montana didn't have a point only option until a couple months ago.

Gotcha. I was just curious on the numbers to separate to get an accurate number on the actual license applications to see how much the drawing odds swayed.

I don't think the point creep will be felt immediately, it'll be felt the most when the people who are only going for the points only option for years and decide to enter the draw. It's when those people do decide to enter is when the pain will be felt, that's a point swing I'm not looking forward too.

I actually read in the turkey regs that they won't charge your card until after you have been notified of the draw results.

Right, but putting a hold on is not the same as charging your card, so its kind of unknown based off that one line. Putting a hold on essentially reduces your available credit, but doesn't actually require you to pay anything.

I don't think the point creep will be felt immediately, it'll be felt the most when the people who are only going for the points only option for years and decide to enter the draw. It's when those people do decide to enter is when the pain will be felt, that's a point swing I'm not looking forward too.

I agree, so we're probably looking at 4 years out or so before this really has an impact on point creep.

And why was that?

Lukethedog already explained it....it makes no sense to charge someone for something, increasing operational cost on their end especially when it is going to be returned in the first place! The NR is already getting their arm twisted in the first place, taking their money just to return it is obviously foolish.

Right, but putting a hold on is not the same as charging your card, so its kind of unknown based off that one line. Putting a hold on essentially reduces your available credit, but doesn't actually require you to pay anything.

God I hope not. That would really suck having a pending charge on your card for a few months.

I'll try and pull the exact wording from the regs tonight. The way I understood it was nothing would be charged to the account until after draw results were released and the applicant was notified.

Lukethedog already explained it....it makes no sense to charge someone for something, increasing operational cost on their end especially when it is going to be returned in the first place! The NR is already getting their arm twisted in the first place, taking their money just to return it is obviously foolish.

Obviously...

I don't think we, as tag holders, are going to like the end result of this.

..impressed with the NR love in a few of these posts...chit man, we can't do anything right. ; )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back