Colorado Application Changes

HighDesertSage

I got the new Turkey brochure in the mail yesterday and noticed that CPW will not longer require the tag fee to be fronted during the application process. Did anyone else see this? I had heard that they may be going this way, but didn't follow up or realize this had passed. I assume it will be the same for big game as well? Anyone have any insight?

The reason I was given, by a committee member, was that they were taking a bath on the processing fees they had to pay on the up-front charges (something on the order of 2.5% if I remember correctly) and the ridiculous system of mailing paper checks out for refunds, and they are trying to avoid those losses.

Last edited:
The reason I was given, by a committee member, was that they were taking a bath on the processing fees they had to pay on the up-front charges (something on the order of 2.5% if I remember correctly) and the ridiculous system of mailing paper checks out for refunds, and they are trying to avoid those losses.

Yeah, I read that to, and I understand, but man the point creep....It'll be nice though not have to wait for a few months for the refund.

Yeah, I read that to, and I understand, but man the point creep....It'll be nice though not have to wait for a few months for the refund.

Do the states that currently have a CC hit when your drawn versus pay up front show an increase in applications and points required to hunt?

Glad I don't hunt a unit that requires years of building points....

Do the states that currently have a CC hit when your drawn versus pay up front show an increase in applications and points required to hunt?

Glad I don't hunt a unit that requires years of building points....

Utah comes to mind, but I don't know if they ever had it the other way around to compare.

The Non Residents are capped at 35% so this will probably hurt them the most. I don' t think this will hurt resident deer and elk draws very much, but could definitely impact moose, sheep, and goat when a pool of applicants that was priced out suddenly enter the drawing.

Utah comes to mind, but I don't know if they ever had it the other way around to compare.

The Non Residents are capped at 35% so this will probably hurt them the most. I don' t think this will hurt resident deer and elk draws very much, but could definitely impact moose, sheep, and goat when a pool of applicants that was priced out suddenly enter the drawing.

I'd be curious. You can't afford it during the application period, but you can during the draw? For me, it doesn't matter. Pay now or 6 months from now. I'm guessing most guys would be in that boat if they are willing to hunt, especially a NR ponying up for Sheep/Moose/Goat.

Like I said, glad I hunt where there isn't point creep. I blame point creep on the media and advertising of areas more than how you pay for your tag.

I'm looking at using my 2 deer points next year in CO. Probably a stupid question but will this change impact the draw odds? The units I'm looking at were 100% for 2 points last year. Thanks.

You may see more applicants, but you'll also see more people whose wants are bigger than their wallets. They won't have funds come draw time and their tags will be put back into the pool. I honestly don't see this changing much.

Do any of you guys know what buying points will look like? Will folks need to buy a license to apply for points, like in Utah or Nevada, or can you just buy the point, like Wyoming?

I'd be curious. You can't afford it during the application period, but you can during the draw? For me, it doesn't matter. Pay now or 6 months from now. I'm guessing most guys would be in that boat if they are willing to hunt, especially a NR ponying up for Sheep/Moose/Goat.

Like I said, glad I hunt where there isn't point creep. I blame point creep on the media and advertising of areas more than how you pay for your tag.

Think about it. I had to save for months to front the $762 so I could throw my name in the hat for moose, sheep, and goat. Now all you have to do is pay the app fee (a few bucks), and if you pull one pony up the $254. I don't see how that could not affect point creep.

I agree with you that the media doesn't help any.

Yikes. And here I thought I'd actually have a chance at drawing a big 3 tag there someday. That ship might have just sailed.

Do any of you guys know what buying points will look like? Will folks need to buy a license to apply for points, like in Utah or Nevada, or can you just buy the point, like Wyoming?

Why would anything change with how you gain points?

I’d rather they add the fee whenever a I submit my application and then if not drawn, credit my amount back. No lost checks no lost revenue. I don’t want a bunch of people applying then have no funds when it’s time to pay up. Then I’d have to start looking on a leftover list or something similar.

Why would anything change with how you gain points?

Because prior to now non-residents have had to pay the cost of a tag (or thereabouts) upfront just to apply for a preference point, then be refunded most of that amount later.

Montana dropped the upfront cost a couple years back and raised the fees. I'm not sure it had much, if any effect on draw odds, or resulted in an increase of applicants.

I would suspect that the majority of people that really want to apply are already applying.

Montana dropped the upfront cost a couple years back and raised the fees. I'm not sure it had much, if any effect on draw odds, or resulted in an increase of applicants.

I would suspect that the majority of people that really want to apply are already applying.

Umm no....the draw odds for moose,sheep and goat got significantly worse. The nonresident app numbers may be roughly the same, but residents only pay $10 to apply now and it caused the odds to tank. I agree that most people that really want to hunt MSG were already applying, but now we have guys applying just because it is cheap.

I’ll be surprised if Colorado doesn’t see a drastic change in apps/draw odds.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back