Coyote Buyers

Coop

Hey guys! I am planning on doing quite a bit of predator control this winter, and I have heard of some fur buyers who will buy whole, unskinned coyotes and fox. I was wondering if anyone knows of any fur buyers in SC/SW Montana who do this? I would do the work myself but I just don't have the time for it. Thanks in advance!

I dont know about up there but whole price down here is substantially lower than stretched.

Your best bet is to find a local trapper who will buy pelts on the hoof. They are used to skinning critters so at the right price is worth their time to inspect, buy then skin and stretch critters other people shot or caught. I grew up in a small town so trapped and knew all the people who trapped. If have no idea of any local trappers then might ask the local F&G officer or bio. A whole coyote takes up a chunk of a deep freeze so unless is so cold out can toss in the barn without skinning then you want to have a place to promptly unload what you have. That is my advice.

If you decide you want to learn how to skin then it takes under 20 minutes to skin anything other than a beaver. Frozen critters are harder to skin as can't manipulate the legs to get up under the arm pits to pull the leg skin down. Fleas can be an issue if not frozen first though so we would leave in truck overnight on cold nights then toss in garage to thaw then skin. We had a 2" diameter pipe about 3 feet long we suspended horizontally from the rafters with chain so we were skinning at a comfortable height. Had a chair to sit as got to shoulder and head area. Baling wire hung from the pipe to secure the back ankles or knees joinst of back legs. Put newspaper down under the skinning zone. We would turn the pelt so fur inside out so fur on the inside of the pelt tube then roll up and put in plastic sack to toss in freezer. Every couple of weeks we would put skins on stretchers but as got busier with life we would just skin and not stretch.

A pair of snips to lop off feet. A good knife makes skinning easy. I used a drop point for most of the skinning but a thin point knife was useful in getting through a tight spot. I had two brothers and was a source of pride if could skin a critter without cutting or pulling the belly zone open and to have a clean pelt without chunks of fat or muscle on the pelt.

But, a local trapper willing to buy the whole critter will maximize your free time though will lower your cash flow.

Google Petska Fur. Or check out this link.
http://petskafur.net/routes/montana/

They make some big rounds buying fur. They're paying up to $80 on the carcass for coyotes when I talked to them. Looks like he'll be in Billings on January 14.

Thanks for the input. I did find a couple of buyers in Billings. Took a decent sized dog (maybe 35-40 lbs) to one of them and only got 30 for it. I was a little bit surprised by this because it had a very nice coat and only had a pinhole in it (.17 hmr). I contacted the Petska fur guys and it sounds like they are averaging 35-55 bucks per coyote, and up to 75 on the best ones. Now I just have to figure out a way to freeze them without a freezer! Damn this bipolar Montana weather...

codycoop, there is a gal name of Emily Olson up in Winnett who is advertising she is wanting "in the round" coyotes. I hear she is paying fair price. Also in Winnett is Joe Jasek, he is also in the business and I think he will also buy unskinned coyote. sorry I don't have phone numbers on hand. good luck.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back