PEAX Equipment

Itching to burn 3 Wyoming points for my first elk hunt. Any suggestions as to Units?

dannyb278

After three years of being unsuccessful in the Wyoming elk draw (resulting in successful Wyoming antelope hunts instead), I am now really ready to burn my 3 Wyoming points on my first elk hunt. I'd like to get out and hunt in Wyoming before I build a high amount of points and the pressure that goes with them.

As a non-resident, whats the best way to go about drawing a antlered tag?

maybe for 1, yes for 2.

how does it work with General units and non-residents? Does having points help your chances in general units, or is it totally random?

maybe for 1, yes for 2.

how does it work with General units and non-residents? Does having points help your chances in general units, or is it totally random?

*Disclaimer* I've only hunted cows in Wyoming.

Elk in Wyoming is a lot different than antelope, which is all limited entry. If you want to hunt elk in a general unit during the general season, you apply for a general tag that is good for all of those units and dates (everything except limited entry). Same as the limited entry tags, 75% go to those with the most points, and 25% go in a random drawing. With 3 points, I don't know of any other options that will give you that many options or as much flexibility as a general tag.

In 2017, you needed 2 points in the regular draw to guarantee a general tag. I'll PM you with some info that may help.

If you want to hunt elk in 2018 in Wyoming for sure and aren't too enthused to put in for the higher priced tag, about the only really good option, as has been mentioned already, is to draw the general tag with the 3 PPs you have.

If I were a nonresident I would be putting in for the general elk tag in Wyoming. Plenty of places to choose from, lots of different season dates, etc. Trophy bulls are hard to find, but generally elk are not.

If you want to hunt elk in 2018 in Wyoming for sure and aren't too enthused to put in for the higher priced tag, about the only really good option, as has been mentioned already, is to draw the general tag with the 3 PPs you have.

Thanks guys! Been working my way through the Onx desktop version looking at General units and think I'll probably end up going this route as well. Thanks again

Are you willing to enter the special draw? Hunt in grizzly territory?

I'm in the same boat with 3 points.. Willing to enter special draw, willing to hunt in griz territory. Been looking at 34, 39 (might not get with Special draw and 3 points), 25/27, 93, 95.

Many of the units you listed are not better than general tag and are more limited.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back