Columbia Blacktail hunt

kimbersig

Hey all, my buddy and I have decided that next year we want to go after Columbia blacktails. we each have the other 4 main deer species for North America and are looking to finish it out. We don't have points in any of the 3 blacktail states so that will limit our areas we can look at. We are both pretty hard core backpack hunters which is what is starting to draw my attention to California's B zones. just from what I've seen and heard in Oregon seems like a lot of the blacktail country is super thick stumbling upon deer or long shots across canyons in clear cuts and seems like what I've seen in California you have a little better glassing opportunities. Is that generalization correct or do I need to do more research!? Any advice would be much appreciated and I could share some info on what we've learned on some of our other hunts for Sitka Blacktail or Coues Deer.

Thanks!

I've only hunted the B-zones once, in September. Started at around 3000' and worked up to about 6000'. It was a tough hunt, saw 2 bucks and didn't get a shot at either. I'd like to go again, but probably later in the season with the hopes that weather would move some bucks down lower.

Having lived in Oregon my whole life, I can confirm that blacktail country is usually very thick, often steep, and often very wet (especially the further north in the state you go...). That being said, it's beautiful and amazing county that I would encourage everyone to try hunting at least once. There are beautiful deer in Oregon if you're willing to work for them.

I have never hunted California for blacktails, but I've attended several seminars specific to blacktail hunting. From what I've heard, the hunting in California is very different from the hunting in Oregon... more open, more visibility, and I'd have to guess, not as damp. People I know who have hunted both states have killed bigger-antlered animals on average when hunting California than when hunting Oregon. I guess in the end it really depends on what you're looking for. Me personally, I love the look of a dark-antlered Oregon Columbia Blacktail in a rainy, damp environment. Regardless of antler size, I believe that's truly a trophy to be proud of. But if being constantly wet, pushing through thick Douglas fir, blackberries, ferns, and all other assortment of wet and dripping undergrowth doesn't sound appealing to you....either look to southern Oregon or CA.

The one thing I wouldn't worry about in Oregon is your comment about not having points. Basically all of our blacktail territory is general season (over the counter) tags for either rifle or bow. It's the mule deer areas that require a draw typically in Oregon. And as always, don't take my word for it, check the regs. There are always exceptions to every generalization. :) Our 2018 regs are out and available online, as I'm sure you've probably already found.

Good luck!

Oregon is OTC for Blacktails , there's like 11 units you can hunt with the General Season Tag , season is 5 weeks , starts around Oct 1st and ends the 1st Friday in November every year, I hunt the NW corner of The coast Range , I pay to access logging country , to hunt Blacktails, it seems that the northern area Blacktails where I live are closer in resemblance to the Sitka Blacktails and the farther south you go from southern Oregon into Cali , the Blacktails seem more like a hybrid cross with the mulies , from the different pics I have seen

Last edited:
I used to live in Oregon's Willamette Valley. I would agree with almost all of the generalizations on this thread. If you hunt the Oregon general season, I would skip the first half of the season. I would focus on the last 10 days, especially the last Monday - Wednesday. You're getting close to the rut and you're starting to get weather. Find a place to ambush, or find the edge of a clear cut, or put on every piece of clothing you own, head into the rain forest, walk as slow as you can, then walk 100 times slower. A nice blacktail might be the most underrated trophy out there

Thanks for all the responses!! we are still debating on the state. a nice dark horned buck from Oregon looks amazing. the rain and wet doesn't bother us. We got it every day on Kodiak hunting Sitka blacktails! the style of hunting we are most used to and best at is getting in deep and up high then glassing country so the creeping through thick stuff would definitely be something different for us! A new style of hunting could be a fun/unique challenge in itself. Anyone know about the deer density differences? Would we see a bunch of deer in Oregon vs California and be passing over more little bucks?

Trinity Alps Wilderness / Marble Mountains Wilderness/ Yolla Bolly-Middle Eel Wilderness would fit your hunting style if you end up in Northern California. In California it it called "B" zone. Tags are pretty easy to obtain, and you can get two. The country is steep, and usually hot. A lot of brushy, rocky country. Lots of burned areas also. Opening weekend can get a little busy, but after that there are no crowds. If you narrow down your search, and end up in CA, let me know.

This year's buck.

IMG_4456.JPG

image1.JPG

I'm hoping to hunt OR blacktail in a few years, so thanks for this info! I am collecting OR points in the hope of drawing a better that OTC tag. Hope thats a good strategy as the points are expensive (when you include the licence)!

Awesome deer blacktailbc!

Trinity Alps Wilderness / Marble Mountains Wilderness/ Yolla Bolly-Middle Eel Wilderness would fit your hunting style if you end up in Northern California. In California it it called "B" zone. Tags are pretty easy to obtain, and you can get two. The country is steep, and usually hot. A lot of brushy, rocky country. Lots of burned areas also. Opening weekend can get a little busy, but after that there are no crowds. If you narrow down your search, and end up in CA, let me know.

This year's buck.

View attachment 78168

View attachment 78169

That's a really cool blacktail, and neater country that you won't find in Oregon.

I'm hoping to hunt OR blacktail in a few years, so thanks for this info! I am collecting OR points in the hope of drawing a better that OTC tag. Hope thats a good strategy as the points are expensive (when you include the licence)!

Awesome deer blacktailbc!

The only hunt I can see building points for takes 2 points tops. Other than that muzzleloader hunt I can't imagine a reason to build more than 2 points. If you have any questions send me a message on here.

This year's buck.

View attachment 78168

View attachment 78169

Sweet thanks man! looks like some awesome country!!

Are you going to hunt archery or...? California has an Archery Only tag which allows you to hunt both the archery and general seasons in all A, B and D zones (no X or C hunts) which you may want to look into. This may not really apply to you because youre coming from out of state and may only devote time to one specific unit. However, there is not any quota for AO (archery only) tags. This would allow you to move freely in A/B areas.

As a California native, hunting blacktails is awesome, its just a different mindset. It can be extremely hot (over 100) during archery season and there conditions can be rough with big, waist high dried/noisy brush and grass with poison oak everywhere. I will say that if you are going to head to the B zones, I'd also grab a bear tag. Ive seen plenty of black bear in both B2 and B6. Its worth having in your pocket in that country in my opinion. Should you have a burning desire to head south into A zone, feel free to PM me and I can help a bit more. Best of luck. Hunting blacktail is way underrated.

This year's buck.

View attachment 78168

View attachment 78169

That is an awesome buck! Congrats!

Are you going to hunt archery or...? California has an Archery Only tag which allows you to hunt both the archery and general seasons in all A, B and D zones (no X or C hunts) which you may want to look into. This may not really apply to you because youre coming from out of state and may only devote time to one specific unit. However, there is not any quota for AO (archery only) tags. This would allow you to move freely in A/B areas.

As a California native, hunting blacktails is awesome, its just a different mindset. It can be extremely hot (over 100) during archery season and there conditions can be rough with big, waist high dried/noisy brush and grass with poison oak everywhere. I will say that if you are going to head to the B zones, I'd also grab a bear tag. Ive seen plenty of black bear in both B2 and B6. Its worth having in your pocket in that country in my opinion. Should you have a burning desire to head south into A zone, feel free to PM me and I can help a bit more. Best of luck. Hunting blacktail is way underrated.

We will be rifle hunting most likely. Would the bucks be hard horned by the end of archery season?

We will be rifle hunting most likely. Would the bucks be hard horned by the end of archery season?

Depends on which season. A zone (where I hunt) is way earlier than B. In my experience, blacktails typically shed their velvet somewhere towards the end of August into the very early part of September..so depending on which unit/zone you hunt, it is a possibility. Someone with a lot of B zone knowledge however could probably give you more specifics on antler progression specific to that area.

Resurrecting this thread. looks like plans have changed significantly. its looking like with my buddy moving I'm going to be doing blacktail solo. I've opted to go to Oregon and look for a dark horned buck. I'm leaning towards SW Oregon. I'm thinking of taking a nice base camp with wood stove and then take stuff to be able to spike out if I find some spots I want to hunt. I have a ton of vacation time and since I'm in Idaho I figure I can run over at some point late summer/early fall to get some eyes on the ground so I'm not going in totally blind. any advice from anyone for someone doing this solo?

side note....hows the fishing in SW Oregon in oct/nov?

Thanks!

This year's buck.

View attachment 78168

View attachment 78169
gorgeous country, think I might have to head to either trinity or yolla bolly this year, both not to far from me!

This year's buck.

View attachment 78168

View attachment 78169awwes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back