Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

House bill moving forward to allow bikes in Wilderness

elkduds

HR 1349 "Wheels over Wilderness"

HR 1349 just passed the natural resource committee on its ways to the House. If you aren't familiar with it this bill would amend the Wilderness Act to read Section 4(c) of the Wilderness Act (16 U.S.C. 1133(c)) is amended by adding at the end the following: “Nothing in this section shall prohibit the use of motorized wheelchairs, non-motorized wheelchairs, non-motorized bicycles, strollers, wheelbarrows, survey wheels, measuring wheels, or game carts within any wilderness area."

Opposed, no bikes in Wilderness! Share your views w legislators.

https://www.backcountryhunters.org/whoa_let_s_slow_down_here

Last edited:
How about a bill to only allow recurve bows and flintlocks for hunting in Wilderness area's? Or better yet, how about a bill to ban "ALL" modern hunting equipment to include clothing and optics. Get the wilderness area's back to really being wilderness area's!

Nothing better for a true wilderness hunt experience than a 60X spotting scope and a rifle capable of a 1000 yard shot! :rolleyes:

I wonder what percentage of the House has spent more than one night in a Wilderness area.

While I love mountain biking there is no need to allow them in wilderness areas, there are plenty of trails to ride. Further while I think people with disabilities should be able to experience the wilderness I think allowing anyone with a handicap tag the ability to essentially drive a ATV into the wilderness is a terrible idea. I think non-motorized wheelchairs, wheelbarrows, survey wheels, measuring wheels, and game carts should be allowed, I can't see them having a material impact on wilderness areas.

HR 1349 "Wheels over Wilderness"

HR 1349 just passed the natural resource committee on its ways to the House. If you aren't familiar with it this bill would amend the Wilderness Act to read Section 4(c) of the Wilderness Act (16 U.S.C. 1133(c)) is amended by adding at the end the following: “Nothing in this section shall prohibit the use of motorized wheelchairs, non-motorized wheelchairs, non-motorized bicycles, strollers, wheelbarrows, survey wheels, measuring wheels, or game carts within any wilderness area."

Opposed, no bikes in Wilderness! Share your views w legislators.

https://www.backcountryhunters.org/whoa_let_s_slow_down_here

What a shock that a BS bill like this is being pushed by a republican senator from UT. :mad:

Just bolt in a wheelchair and put in an electric motor and this would be legal.

Attachments

• 70_8x8_650_Frontierv1.JPG
    70_8x8_650_Frontierv1.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 922
Last edited:
How about a bill to only allow recurve bows and flintlocks for hunting in Wilderness area's? Or better yet, how about a bill to ban "ALL" modern hunting equipment to include clothing and optics. Get the wilderness area's back to really being wilderness area's!

Nothing better for a true wilderness hunt experience than a 60X spotting scope and a rifle capable of a 1000 yard shot! :rolleyes:

bingo

Respectfully, that misses the mark on what Wilderness is supposed to be about. Adding wheels to wilderness directly ignores the intent of the designation. Nothing in the wilderness act excludes rafts, weapons, etc. Just wheels and mechanized (specifically mentioned) recreation in order to keep the land in the shape that it is now. A rifle or spotting scope have zero impact to the lands. Mountain bikes, etc do. Especially when you look at the spread of noxious weeds and trail erosion.

The designation is a protection of the land, the watershed and wildlife. Adding bikes & atv's eliminates a large chunk of that protection. If we are more concerned about our sport than in the conservation of America's wildest places, then we're failing Roosevelt's legacy.

Please oppose HR 1349 Bikes in the Wilderness

When hiking Wilderness trails day hikers yield to backpackers who yield to horseback travelers, typically by stepping aside off the trail. This trail etiquette has worked well for many decades and has prevented conflict. Adding bicycles to the mix confuses and escalates the risk of injury to man and animal to an unacceptable level. If you have ever hiked or ridden horseback on a remote mountain trail and encountered a bicycle coming at you or behind you at 30, 40, or 50 miles per hour, you will appreciate the conflict and risk issue, risk for all involved.

Typically wildlife also use the trails, which can also result in conflicts with vehicles, bikes or ATVs, travelling at those speeds. An inherent risk was manifested into a fatality near Whitefish last year when a collision between bike and bear resulted in an unnecessary death.

To the credit of bike riders in the Bozeman area, they have organized and improved trails up Leverich Canyon in the National Forest just south of the city. Most hikers avoid the area and willingly concede that trail to mountain bikers. I suggest that such stretches of trail be designated for bikes … but not those trails in Wilderness Areas or Wilderness Study Areas. The intent of the Wilderness Act is to preserve those areas for the future so that those who follow us can experience the true benefits of pristine nature. Adding mechanization would ruin it for us … and them.

bicycle coming at you or behind you at 30, 40, or 50 miles per hour

Woah buddy... totally agree with you on bikes in wilderness, but the average speed of a bike on single track is 7mph, the max you could achieve on a steep as chit road is 45mph and that would be one hell of a ride.

Outside of wilderness areas I have no problem with mixed use, general etiquette is for hikers to yield to horses and bikes and bikes to yield to horses. I always grab the dog and step off to the side when I encounter horses as do all the people I ride with, areas like sourdough, leverich, and south cottonwood just get so many people it turns into a zoo and it only takes one jerk to cause a catastrophe, I think it's crazy people choose to ride any but the most bomb proof of horses in those areas.

I put the MTPR report on this up on my Facebook page. Gianforte was one of the people on the committee that voted to bring this to the floor. Guess the thinks this is New Jersey.

A couple big names in the outdoor community posted responses.

Hal Herring:
Let's be clear, if we can. What is being done here is, like the bill to to open the airstrips in wilderness areas to public use, to build yet another constituency against the idea of wilderness, which is repugnant to many politicians on the right. This bill brings a new level of dissent from less-informed mountain bikers, and that dissent can be cultivated to attack the idea of wilderness. The bill also sets up a guaranteed conflict between horse and mule packers and riders- they wont be able to use the same trail systems as the bikers, or people will get killed. Now, we know that the trail budgets for USFS are almost zero already. Wilderness trails cost- because of the requirement for hand tool use only- about 20% more to build an maintain than front country trails. So there will be no new trail system, only accidents and further conflicts, all of which will undermine the idea of wilderness and set the stage for new attempts to repeal the Wilderness Act. It is a chess game, even if most of the anti-wilderness players are ham handed red faced goobers who don't know exactly what they are playing- in the end, they will smash the board and defecate on our rug, but they will win if we are not careful.

Christopher Solomon: (he's recently authored this about mountain bikes and this about Crazy Mountains)
I think what's often lost on bike folks who advocate for this bill is the danger of cracking open a bedrock environmental law. My concerns aren't so much with bikes on the trail per se (though there have been issues in places). Now with damage by bikers (the science is fuzzy on that, too, and there needs to be more done). My issue is that the authors of the Act made a decision to draw the line where they did for a reason. (And contrary to arguments to the contrary, historical documents show that bikes were as much on their minds as anything else.) Here's a hypothetical: What if, in 20 years, mag-lev hoverboards are THE thing to have. Everyone uses them for all transportation. It's hardly silly to imagine some new, unforeseen technology like that coming over the horizon and changing how we move--just as no one anticipated people riding 50 miles into the backcountry on bikes with enormous tires, 35 years ago. If and when that happens, will we move the line, then, too, to allow these devices -- because the Act doesn't mention them, and because they are not "mechanized" in some sense of the word? I think it's pretty clear that the writers of the Wilderness Act drew their line where they did, to keep these places for nature, and not to accommodate us and our whims, as our whims change over generations. This, I think, is what mountain bikers don't seem to try to understand. They are thinking about their own recreation. What's more, they're pursuing their own self-interest in a year that will go down as possibly the worst on record for the environment in the US.

Last edited:
What is wrong with having a small percentage of our public lands classified as wilderness? Do we need a damn road through the middle of every section of land? Are there not enough trails already for bikes?

I think it's crazy people choose to ride any but the most bomb proof of horses in those areas.

I pretty much have abandoned riding my horse in any areas other than wilderness for this reason. The latest victim is Corbly. It's turned into a raceway of bikers. Kinda sucks but I'm old school.

It used to never cease to amaze me how so many are willing to bemoan the constant chipping away at (fill in whatever thing you care about being chipped away at) and seem to be totally OK with with always being on defense.
I'm very rarely amazed anymore.
Wonder if "we" will ever decide to go on offense......

It used to never cease to amaze me how so many are willing to bemoan the constant chipping away at (fill in whatever thing you care about being chipped away at) and seem to be totally OK with with always being on defense.
I'm very rarely amazed anymore.
Wonder if "we" will ever decide to go on offense......

At the policy level: Count votes. Going on offense is great, when you can win. Right now, we're in the fight of our lives for public lands and America's conservation ethic. There is no shortage of attack and no real opportunity for advancement. It is what it is.

Part of offense here is working to elect pro-conservation candidates from the county commission level to the President. That's the biggest offense we have at the moment. Putting anti-conservation politicians on defense and making them defend their record is the best way to elect better candidates. Run for office. Doesn't matter what office - run. Volunteer for candidates - knock on doors, make fundraising calls, etc. If a democrat can win in Alabama, every state can send a pro-conservation candidate to DC, regardless of party.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back