Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Books on custom rifle building

rtraverdavis

I’ve become increasingly interested in building my own rifle, and wonder if anyone out there can lend advice on some books that can help me get started. I’ve got a possible donor action (M700 long action) that I’d like to build into a 30 Nosler. I reload, and love tinkering, but am a complete novice when it comes to building guns. Only interested in building rifles though—no pistols or ARs. Any suggestions on where to start would be appreciated.

I don't know of any books, but you can put togeather a savage with a barrel nut wrench, go and no go gauges and a little internet recon.

Last edited:
you can put togeather a savage with a barrel nut wrench, go and no go gauges and a little internet recon.

They make barrels for Remingtons that use a similar nut (google Remage Barrels). Worth a look with little investment.

Custom building a rifle will require some specialty equipment (namely a lathe) that could cost you more than if you just had a smith barrel your action for you.

Do you have a lathe or access to one? If not it may be better to go the remage barrel route. You can still build most of the rifle and complete things like bedding the stock, mounting the scope and such.
If your only going to build 1 rifle and don't like the remage idea then I'd just have a gunsmith barrel your donor action.

Thanks guys. I don’t have access to a lathe, nor would I have any clue how to use one if I did. So I think having a smith barrel and rechamber the action would be the direction I’d go, then bed the stock and all the rest myself. 1_pointer, that Sisk Guns book looks like what I had in mind as a starting place. Thanks.

Not sure why you would need a lathe?
I've "built" 2 without a lathe, rechambered another.

If your building a hunting rifle, that was fairly accurate to begin with, then you can do it yourself.
Need good workbench, vise, barrel vise ( clamps into regular vise), action wrench, finish reamer, go/no go gages.
Time and patience.

Try Gunsmithing Made Easy ny Bryce Towsley.. It's a good read.

Back