Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Wyoming Fee Increases

TOGIE

Anybody else notice the fee increases released today?

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Apply-or-Buy/License-Fee-List/2018-License-Fee-Changes

Pretty darn steep. I must say I agree that states need to do this, money's gotta come from somewhere, but ouch... my hunt plan spreadsheet is changing already for next year.

I consider myself priced out on full price elk now as a nonresident at $692.

Also, hey y'all, new to the forum from Colorado.

At least I got cheap abundant elk here!

Let's not forget why this is happening, resources are down so like you said the money has to come from somewhere. For all those that know the great hunting Wyoming has and want to support this great state, please allow Wyoming to continue mining and producing energy as then people get paid better wages, state funds have more money, energy costs are cheaper for all, and the hunting is more accessible to all and still first rate.

On a separate note, welcome to the forum!

Also, I apologize I think this has been posted on in the past couple of months.. my bad. I thought it hadn't been cause they changes were released today. I guess I just noticed it today cause I've been on the hunt planner a lot lately and I think they just rolled in the new prices to the hunt planner.

Anyhow, yes it's necessary. There's gotta be a balance, though - this could drive non-resident apps way down, probably not enough to have an undesirable effect on revenue though. We shall see.

Well this year was my first time to hunt Wyoming and I love the state,killed a nice muley and plan on trying for elk,antelope and deer again this year......price increases are just part of hunting anywhere.......I`m from Texas and it`ll cost you 2000 just to hunt whitetail on a good lease so 692 for an elk taag aint so bad.

I`m from Texas and it`ll cost you 2000 just to hunt whitetail on a good lease so 692 for an elk taag aint so bad.

Well when you get em for 49 bucks in Colorado it's a bit rough. Not to mention I'm putting in for essentially every tag Wyoming offers save Moose, Bear, Sheep, and Goat. Now I certainly won't draw all of those but I try my hardest to make it happen and tacking on a $700 tag is now out of question for me. For some reason 600 was the make it or break it. The antelope jump is making me cringe too, but nowhere is better for antelope hunting so I'll bite that happily. But I'll probably start to focus less on bucks and instead just go grocery shopping for does.

Don't get me wrong, Wyoming is my focus, and always will be. Love that state more than my home state almost. But with abundance of game here in Colorado on the cheap, I unfortunately think I'll be putting in less for the full price tags for a while and stay in Colorado more often. But man, that random draw in Wyo is so tempting.

Last edited:
please allow Wyoming to continue mining and producing energy as then people get paid better wages, state funds have more money, energy costs are cheaper for all, and the hunting is more accessible to all and still first rate.

As someone who works for a big producer in Wyoming, I agree! We do a great job of conserving the land. But the fee increases for 2018 pale in comparison to the amount of lost severance taxes from O&G since the downturn.

The prices have't gone up since 2008 and are not out of line with all the other western states or even the huge price differential between residents and NRs in the states as you go east! Look at Iowa and their NR deer tags price, for example! This increase in WY actually is only going to keep the G&F halfway stable since the Legislature took away all the money the G&F got from the General Fund when they raised these fees, so they aren't swimming in a lot of extra money due to these increases!

One good thing to take out of all of this though is that sportsmen are 100% funding Wyoming Game and Fish now. So, yeah the fee increase definitely stinks, but it shows sportsmen can be completely independent if we need to be.

Pound for pound, the WY elk NR tag is a lot cheaper than an IL NR whitetail tag in my home state.

I love hunting Wyoming and have had wonderful experiences every single time I have drawn a tag up there. I don't mind the increases, and as alluded to in an earlier post, the increases are a long time coming.

Wyoming in my experience has a biologists and wardens dedicated to each unit. They have all been very friendly and helpful. I don't mind increased tag prices when the money goes back into wildlife programs. Ontario wildlife agencies could learn a lot from our neighbors in the western states.

I'll post this here...I swore there was a thread last year stating the the preference points for WY were going up to $70 or something for deer or antelope, but based on this 2018 list they only went up $1? (lope = $31 and deer = $41) Tags did go up 20%, but points basically stayed the same if this is correct which makes me happy. I hope this is correct, if not someone please correct me.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/WGFD_APPNARRATIVE

The commission has the authority to raise preference fees for deer, elk, and antelope to $75 for each. Doesn't mean they have to, but the legislature gave them the right to do so.

The commission has the authority to raise preference fees for deer, elk, and antelope to $75 for each. Doesn't mean they have to, but the legislature gave them the right to do so.

So based on my link it is not going to happen and it's what is in the doc for 2018 or they might change their mind and still change it?

They changed it last fall at the fees you listed.

They can change the preference point fees anytime they feel like it, up to $75 each, without approval from the legislature.

This was due if you look at neighbor states and time since last increase. It is what it is and a general elk tag still gets what i think is best tag in west to hunt for months with bow and guns in lots of units. Its no 5 day colorado tag or idaho tag where you either see 100 hunters or no elk....i didnt like nonres fees in wy so i moved here!!! Problem solved

Chris

Back