Deep/Fast river water

Ryan2782

I hunt the snake river in Idaho, no boat, walk in to hunt. This year where I hunt the river is about 3' higher than previous years, and expected to rise another 1-2' by end of December. This makes the current so fast my decoys will not hold in place, in addition, if they would, It's to deep for my waders to walk out and get them where they should be. I tried the diver rig, big weight and clipped on the decoys. It worked ok, but the current was so strong, that the first decoy looked like it was feeding being pulled under, but they made so much noise from rushing water around them. Any ideas of what to do? My issue is I have friends visiting in January from out of state just to duck hunt for two weeks. Any ideas on how to make this work in my favor?

I would find somewhere else to hunt. I rarely see ducks land in fast moving water anyhow. No duck is worth dying for, and god knows I have come close to dying a few times for some ducks. Or find a friend with a dog and use full bodies if you must hunt that spot.

I'm headed out this weekend to try and find additional spots. It's just difficult finding an area when you don't have a boat. I have the dog covered, she does great. I just wasn't sure if some one had any ideas on this, or a better way to hunt it. I didn't think of the full bodies.

i dunno your scenario but man sounds like it's even too rough of water for a pup, I'd be checking other spots, best of luck to ya!

If the water is up that much there has to be flooded backwaters.

That's where I would look.

Have you looked at different dates of sat photos? Google Earth timeline stuff?

Agreed with all the above. I've hunted some stuff on the Missouri that was heavy current. Find some slack water.

I agree with all the above. Personally, I'd move to the fields. There are tons of Canadas coming down. If you know where they are going, you don't "need" dekes, but they sure do help. just setup and ambush. you can convert floaters, too, if need be.

Duck season over here is short this year. way short.

I'm headed out this weekend to look for some new area's. I agree nothing is worth my life in a dangerous situation I can avoid, in addition to risk the dogs life which I would be more worried about. I've been browsing google earth, it's hard because this is not a typical year for water for us. Average flows are 550-8200 CFS varying depending on time of day and what the dam lets out. Currently at 11,300 and supposed to climb to 13-14,000 by end of December. I'll have to check out fields for honkers and start asking for permission too and quickly. With any luck, i'll find some new back water area's to hunt.

I have never hunted backwater area before, any tricks of the trade as for decoys? I normally don't hunt with vary many and don't use a flapper. Would it be needed to get their attention?

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back