Deer, uv vision, truth or myth?

devon deer

Can deer see in UV?

I rarely (very rarely, it annoys my wife big time!) wash my hunting clothes, but even i realised recently that the clothing i hadn't washed since my Montana trip over 12 months ago needed some tlc, so stuck my pants and Jetstream jacket in the washer, i had some Tech wash, but not enough, so i stuck in some normal washing powder.

Went hunting yesterday, wind was perfect, i was waiting with my back against the timber, and at very last light (we can shoot 1 hour after sunset) i saw 2 Fallow deer appear, doe and last years fawn, the fawn was head down feeding, but the doe suspected something even though i hadn't moved an inch or made a noise, just as i was about to squeeze the trigger she barked and ran back into the timber.

So i wonder, i have heard of this before, some washing powders contain ingredients that make clothing visible to UV.
Any views on this?

If that's the case i will carry on with my 'blood, sweat and tears' embedded in/on my clothing if it means the deer not seeing me!

Cheers

Richard

Don't remember where I filed it but have seen several articles about brighteners in detergents & how ungulates can see a glow... It had whole data in report. Same with them only seeing in shades of gray,with blue being the only color they see.
I use plain A&H washing soda or unscented unbrightened liquid clothes soap.

I also have always done my own laundry,particularly hunting & work clothes.....that would have ended the 20 yr relationship a looooong time ago & mom would have laughed after I was taught how.

It's a myth. Deer see farther into the UV spectrum than we do. It doesn't mean that you glow like there is a black light on you. Deer pick up certain colors in the blue end of the spectrum better...maybe.

I personally do my own laundry also, as far as my hunting clothes and even some of the everyday clothes I wash in Dead Down Wind. I use there shower products and deodorant everyday as well. All I know is it is cheap and if it gives me an edge over the next guy great, if it does not than oh well didn't cost much, plus I don't smell like a blooming flower......
Matt

It's never a good thing to annoy the wife. Go ahead and wash your hunting clothes but don't waste your $$ on special detergent. It's just another product geared towards hunters that use it because it might work. To them it works simply because they believe it works.

I personally do my own laundry also, as far as my hunting clothes and even some of the everyday clothes I wash in Dead Down Wind. I use there shower products and deodorant everyday as well. All I know is it is cheap and if it gives me an edge over the next guy great, if it does not than oh well didn't cost much, plus I don't smell like a blooming flower......
Matt

Agreed. Even the DDW stick deodorant works better than most and is cheaper than a lot of other name brands. As a kid my dad would fuss even while riding in truck with windows down about how I smelled like soap. Apple didn't fall far there and I can't stand the smell of all the perfumes and stuff.

Matt

There you go. Someone else using it because it might work.

Buy the unscented cheap crap at Wally World that does't have 'Brighteners'. Works, or not, it still cleans you funky scent out of the clothes. I personally think staying down wind from all circulating air currents is more important.

There must be something about deer being able to see UV as there was a study on a certain roadside reflector effectiveness in reducing deer-vehicle collisions. The special reflectors were installed and then to test them, cloth bags were placed over the reflectors in places for the "control" area. However, there was no difference in the number of collisions in the study and control areas - both areas had far fewer collisions than in the past. Then it was discovered that the cloth bags purchased to cover the reflectors in the control area had been washed in a detergent that contained a whiting UV agent.

When the reflectors were covered with different, non-UV washed bags, it was discovered that the area with the uncovered reflectors had fewer collisions than the area with the reflectors covered with non-UV washed bags. So, it was determined that the special reflectors did, in fact, reduce deer-vehicle collisions.

ClearCreek

If your in need for some non brighened non odor detergent just use some baking soda instead. Works almost as good.

Matt

After moving from CA to AL I noticed things getting funky downstairs in the summer heat. I tried every kind of soap imaginable, but eventually tried a bottle of H.S. Scents body wash. Kills the bacteria feasting on God knows what. No bacteria, no stinky, happy wifey!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back