Finally going back to Montana!

MetalSpineGuy

Hello everyone. Greetings from Ft. Bliss, TX.

My name is Michael, and we currently live in Texas as that's where the Army sent us. I have been out for a long time but my wife is active duty. She is getting out in Feb. and I have convinced her that we shou ld move to Montana.

I moved to the Helena area when I got out of the Army back in,the 90s and have always wanted to go back.

I have not hunted since moving from Montana in 97. I am excited to get back out there in the mountains. We are moving to the Helena area, so if anyone is willing to help a broken vet get back out there next year, let me know.

Right now I'm just going to be looking at rifle deer/ elk. I have never hunted elk before but I am definitely going to get into it.

I have had 3 spine fusions so I'm not as fast as I used to be but I can still get around ok.

Let me know if you're from the Helena area and wouldn't mind a semi new hunting friend.

Welcome to the forum. I'm south of there in Ennis. There are several guys on here from Helena. I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.

HMU when you get in town. I'm in Missoula area, but we can get you fixed up (Even if the VA can't...).

HMU when you get in town. I'm in Missoula area, but we can get you fixed up (Even if the VA can't...).

Haha. Sounds good. I grew up in Ohio and as a huge Buckeye fan went to many games. I have told my wife what am experience it is to go to a Griz game. That will happen.

As for the VA, the wife is a nurse in the Army, so I try to not even bother. Haha

Glad to hear you're making it back to the motherland. My wife and I live in East Helena. Make sure you get your residency going ASAP when you get here. I believe you need 6 months with a Montana drivers license to be eligible for resident tags, that might be different for servicemen but I am not sure.

There are some ace hunters on this forum who live around Helena (I am not one of them). If you want some advice when rifle season gets closer, let me know. I love to talk elk.

Glad to hear you're making it back to the motherland. My wife and I live in East Helena. Make sure you get your residency going ASAP when you get here. I believe you need 6 months with a Montana drivers license to be eligible for resident tags, that might be different for servicemen but I am not sure.

There are some ace hunters on this forum who live around Helena (I am not one of them). If you want some advice when rifle season gets closer, let me know. I love to talk elk.

Yes, I'm going the day we get there to get my license and i just make the 6 month time by the time the season opens up.

I'm in Helena, as are a few others. Happy to share what I know about the area, and get you met up with some other hunters as well.

Nice to have another Montanan on the board. We're underrepresented! :)

I'm in Helena, as are a few others. Happy to share what I know about the area, and get you met up with some other hunters as well.

Nice to have another Montanan on the board. We're underrepresented! :)

Awesome, thanks for reply.

We will be living out in the North Valley. I'm pretty excited to be coming back.

Awesome, thanks for reply.

We will be living out in the North Valley. I'm pretty excited to be coming back.

We've done a small Helena HT gathering. Sounds like we'll have to do another one once you guys have landed & get settled. Lots of good fishing close by as well both for coldwater and warmwater species. There's also some really good clubs in the area for public land hunters and for guys like us who move a little slower than the kids do. :)

Meet up sounds good. We should be there by the end of February. Settling in shouldn't take too long.

I will keep in touch. Any chance the local guys have a FB group set up or anything?

Welcome home to the "Last Best Place" Thank you for your service!!! I'm in Seeley Lake about a 100 miles NW of Helena.

Dan

Meet up sounds good. We should be there by the end of February. Settling in shouldn't take too long.

I will keep in touch. Any chance the local guys have a FB group set up or anything?

I am not aware of a HT FB group. There are plenty of Montana Hunting groups (I admin the Montana Waterfowlers). If you need local knowledge, this forum has more than plenty. IDK how many of us are MT Proud, but I'd guess 1/3-1/2.

Welcome home!!! Start on the residence issue asap. Hope you get everything settled in so you can start exploring.

Dan

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back