Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Equipment: What worked and what did not

I agree with this for day hunts, but in my experience, it eats battery life up so fast that it couldn't realistically be used for a backcountry hunt unless you can charge the phone.

I used mine for 8 days straight without a charge. Turn off everything but the gps and turn the screen brightness way down. But a lot depends on your phone and the temps. Warm temps and a new battery are the tickets to success.

Works:
- Building custom maps (geo referenced PDFs) in CalTopo.com and viewing/navigating off them with the Avenza App. You can do all sorts of marking of maps, overlay imagery, etc and then just email them to your phone and open them in the app.
- I found a Woolrich Buffalo plaid wool shirt just like I had when I started hunting at the Sportsman's guide warehouse, and snapped that thing up. It is a little itchy, but is a fantastic layer for hiking/still hunting in November. It doesn't smell, and wicks great.
- Scott Longhorn Back tension release. I practiced with it all summer, and it did wonders reinforcing good form and follow through. I didn't hunt with it, but the good habits it built carried back over to my wrist strap.

Fails:
- My Sierra Designs Zissou 12 is starting to give up the ghost. Not looking forward to trying to replace it. I have been looking at the Nemo's if anyone has any input.....

"67-year-old hunting partner who still gets extreme buck fever and turns into a 10-year-old boy every time he sees antlers. "

Got a laugh out of that. Good to see he still gets excited.:hump:

Didn't work:
Camp Chef Everest camp stove - two different stoves both suffered catastrophic gas line failures, one actually catching fire.
My memory as it used to.

Did work:
Browning Citori Superlite feather 16 gauge. Besides being a hard to find sweet English straight grip 16 gauge, the 1.6 lb weight reduction over my 12 gauge has all but remedied left Elbow tendonitis....
LEM .75 HP grinder - makes elk meat into elk burger real fast.
A 23 year old Winston 2 piece 9 foot 6 weight IM6 off of ebay - perfect condition. To say they don't make 'em like that anymore is an understatement.
Surgical stainless steel screws and plates and a Vet that knows how to use 'em. Can't say enough..............
And a great little friend who happens to know how to do some really cool things.......
View attachment 77950

I'm Curious. what is a "23 yr old Winston 2 piece 9foot 6 weight" :confused:

"67-year-old hunting partner who still gets extreme buck fever and turns into a 10-year-old boy every time he sees antlers. "

Haha..my son will have one of those in less than a month....

Two things which hurt my snobby-purist ears.
A Citori is an O/U, to call one a "sweet 16" - an abhorrent semi auto - is an flagrant misstep.
A 23 year old 2 piece Winston IM6 9 foot 6 weight is a post-bamboo elitist yuppy fly pole.
Geesh....:rolleyes:

Two things which hurt my snobby-purist ears.
A Citori is an O/U, to call one a "sweet 16" - an abhorrent semi auto - is an flagrant misstep.
A 23 year old 2 piece Winston IM6 9 foot 6 weight is a post-bamboo elitist yuppy fly pole.
Geesh....:rolleyes:

Ah, a gentleman fisherman :hump:

Ah, a gentleman fisherman :hump:

I bet there's a red Hills Bro's can in his garage. Don't let him put on airs.

What worked:
Toe Warmers. Thank the lord.
Hydroflask/Yeti water bottles - keeps warm stuff warm and cold stuff cold.
Cabela's Microtex pants & shirt. Not as expensive or fancy as the bro-camo but performs well and comes in sizes that fit the ample gentlemen.

What didn't work:
Left knee - still dealing with it after tweaking it the last weekend
Only hunting 5 days for the season. Sad, low energy. Not good!

I bet there's a red Hills Bro's can in his garage. Don't let him put on airs.

What worked:
Toe Warmers. Thank the lord.
Hydroflask/Yeti water bottles - keeps warm stuff warm and cold stuff cold.
Cabela's Microtex pants & shirt. Not as expensive or fancy as the bro-camo but performs well and comes in sizes that fit the ample gentlemen.

What didn't work:
Left knee - still dealing with it after tweaking it the last weekend
Only hunting 5 days for the season. Sad, low energy. Not good!

Ben, I've been hunting exclusively in micro tex pants for 7 or 8 years. I love them and you can catch them on sale a couple of times a year. I wear them without a base layer during archery season and with a merino base layer during cold weather. I've never had to add a layer on top. They are very versatile.

Worked: Trusty Savage 116 in 7mm
OnX on my phone
Rocky Mountain Game Calls
Hail-Mary drive plan that pushed a cow elk to 75 yards of my friend's wife

Failed: Elk fever at 19 yards
Pins blurring together
Cabela's Full Draw boots
Leaving shotgun at truck when you know grouse may be around

Worked:
Leupold BX-2 10x42 Cascades. Best binos I've owned by far.
Vortex 4-12x40 Diamondback.
OnX App

Failed:
Boots
Backpack
Rifle sling.
Forgetting to empty your hot water heater in your camper last winter and then finding the expensive mishap in the spring when you flush your lines. Water everywhere, wallet lighter. Life lesson C/W.

I will be upgrading my boots, sling and pack this off-season just not sure on what products yet.

Hits:
Sitka Mountain Pants
Barnes TSXs
Schnees Boots
OnX app for the phone

Misses:
The tent stove was vastly undersized given the weather.

I agree with this for day hunts, but in my experience, it eats battery life up so fast that it couldn't realistically be used for a backcountry hunt unless you can charge the phone.

Check out this article for some battery saving tips, that's the chief concern of most people but with these it helps significantly. You can also find some solid chargers on amazon for not too expensive.
https://www.onxmaps.com/blog/smartphone-battery-saving-tips-for-the-field?category=

Awesome to hear that everyone is enjoying the new update and that it worked well for them in the field!

I'm addicted to gear, so I love this thread.

What worked:
- not new but continues to be very useful, my InReach.
- new additions to my Kuiu collection, I haven't a complaint yet.
- Neet cart, its was brutal, but it worked hauling out approx #300 of elk meat and skull in one trip

What didn't:
- most of my body parts after the Martin family back-to-back bull elk harvest late night (morning) pack outs
- no equipment failures to report

Check out this article for some battery saving tips, that's the chief concern of most people but with these it helps significantly. You can also find some solid chargers on amazon for not too expensive.
https://www.onxmaps.com/blog/smartphone-battery-saving-tips-for-the-field?category=

Awesome to hear that everyone is enjoying the new update and that it worked well for them in the field!

Thanks. I'll check it out. I should add that my GPS eats batteries too, but all I have to do is change them out. I much prefer using onX on my phone compared to using it on my GPS.

What worked:
Maven B-2 9x45 I'm no optics guru but these were fantastic
First Lite Merino base layers

Didn't have to much that didn't work only think I could say would be thick merino socks on prickers and cactus needles however they aren't supposed to work on those to much in the first place

Thanks. I'll check it out. I should add that my GPS eats batteries too, but all I have to do is change them out. I much prefer using onX on my phone compared to using it on my GPS.
Lots of inexpensive backup battery systems out there. One I have is good for more than 5 recharges of my phone. They even have ones that run off of AA batteries.

Using some of those tips, I've not had any trouble making it through a whole day on one charge.

What is working s far: #1 upgrade, Cut-proof gloves, lightweight and one will be in my pack always in the future, ONX maps premium service,incredible number of uses for this for a traveling hunter, Leupold VX3 2-7, fits my needs and skills perfectly. My 2 Arctic Oven tents, snow, wind, rain,whatever,heated palace with the Nuway propane stove.

What hasn't worked so far: Black diamond headlamp,,primary and backup failed on first trip,,however their customer service was top notch. Banded waders,,fail out of box,,,xtherm pad,,worried about the future of this one, patched will it hold?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back