MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Equipment: What worked and what did not

Worked:
PacNor Barrel chambered in a 257 Weatherby
Outdoor Edge Wild Skin knife, lightweight and keeps a great edge
Swarovski 10x42 SLC HD
110gr Nosler Accubond

Never again:
Havalon saw blades or might be havalon in general after the great experience I had with the knife listed above.

"My old Cabela’s gaiters. I love how quiet they are, and they still do the job. But the snow buildup on the strap gets irritating at times. Might be time for something with some other material under foot.[/QUOTE]"

I have a pair of those. Same problem. Now they are my backup

Didn't work:
Camp Chef Everest camp stove - two different stoves both suffered catastrophic gas line failures, one actually catching fire.
My memory as it used to.

Did work:
Browning Citori Superlite feather 16 gauge. Besides being a hard to find sweet English straight grip 16 gauge, the 1.6 lb weight reduction over my 12 gauge has all but remedied left Elbow tendonitis....
LEM .75 HP grinder - makes elk meat into elk burger real fast.
A 23 year old Winston 2 piece 9 foot 6 weight IM6 off of ebay - perfect condition. To say they don't make 'em like that anymore is an understatement.
Surgical stainless steel screws and plates and a Vet that knows how to use 'em. Can't say enough..............
And a great little friend who happens to know how to do some really cool things.......
jpoint17.JPG

Last edited:
"My old Cabela’s gaiters. I love how quiet they are, and they still do the job. But the snow buildup on the strap gets irritating at times. Might be time for something with some other material under foot.
"

I have a pair of those. Same problem. Now they are my backup[/QUOTE]

FWIW...
Never understood why anyone leaves the cross-under-boot strap, tie, etc. on gaiters. I've always removed them immediately, as if the gaiter has a hook at the bottom front of it, that hook holds the gaiter fast. I have never had any pair of gaiter climb up and cause any type of "wetness".
I do never wear gaiters with low cut boots, however.......

Things that failed this year:
Me and waiting until late in the season to go hunt. Headed out for Montana, after about an hour-and-a-half driving I was so sick I told my son we'd have to wait a couple of days. Then he got sicker than me. Work, Thanksgiving and other obligations ganged up on me and at season's end my total days hunting Washington and Montana were a big fat 0. I'm not sure, but can you even make tag soup if you never get out?

"

I have a pair of those. Same problem. Now they are my backup

FWIW...
Never understood why anyone leaves the cross-under-boot strap, tie, etc. on gaiters. I've always removed them immediately, as if the gaiter has a hook at the bottom front of it, that hook holds the gaiter fast. I have never had any pair of gaiter climb up and cause any type of "wetness".
I do never wear gaiters with low cut boots, however.......[/QUOTE]

thanks for the suggestion. i'll try it

I love these threads.

New and worked:

Cabela's Meindl Perfekt Extreme - put these things through the ringer in mid- to late-season and they held up better than expected. With the lifetime guarantee, pretty happy with these.

Vortex Talon 10x42 - mid-tier optics and a major step up for me. I just sit and look now :)

Tenzing 1250 lumbar pack. Pretty happy with this pack...not happy with the horizontal water storage set up.

OnXmaps

No real fails for me, I guess.

Gotta get a better daypack, the cheapie (forget the brand) I've been remiss to replace gets taken for granted every year and makes the trip...suggestions welcomed

I'm liking my Mystery Ranch Scapegoat 25 pack. 2 belt pouches, u-shaped zip to open the main compartment completely, and some other pockets accessible from outside and inside to store small things. I've used it since mid-July or so. My only complaint is the outside pouches on each side that look great for nalgenes, but there's not a good way to secure them in place, so if you bend over, they fall out.

The good:
Zeiss Conquest 10x42s. These were new for me this season and a big step up from my old binos.
The bad:
Long glassing sessions with Kuiu Yukon gloves in 30 degree weather. My hands were almost colder with the gloves on than off. Time to try some mittens.

New/good (only thing new this year):
On X app on my phone. It's making me seriously question the need for a standalone GPS. A phone for just a GPS using the app could be had cheaper.

Bad:
Older, friction turreted Leupold. It holds zero, mostly, but getting it zeroed damn near takes witchcraft and way too many rounds.

I'm liking my Mystery Ranch Scapegoat 25 pack. 2 belt pouches, u-shaped zip to open the main compartment completely, and some other pockets accessible from outside and inside to store small things. I've used it since mid-July or so. My only complaint is the outside pouches on each side that look great for nalgenes, but there's not a good way to secure them in place, so if you bend over, they fall out.

Thank you...will check it out.

New/good (only thing new this year):
On X app on my phone. It's making me seriously question the need for a standalone GPS. A phone for just a GPS using the app could be had cheaper.

I agree with this for day hunts, but in my experience, it eats battery life up so fast that it couldn't realistically be used for a backcountry hunt unless you can charge the phone.

Wins:
Marsupial Gear bino harness. Simple, quiet, well made, and actually encourages me to use my glass.
First Lite Traverse hunting gaiters. Used them early season to keep seeds, stickers, dirt, rocks, etc. out of my boots, laces, and socks. Worked great in low snow too. Love those things.
Sig Kilo range finder. It's awesome.
OnX Maps App: The update this year made a huge difference.

Thankfully, no big fails for me this year.

Wins: Stone Glacier Sky 5900 with the Xcurve frame - love the load shelf!, Sitka Timberline pants, Salsa Fatbike for summer cardio and finding antelope where motors aren't allowed, bringing clean socks to change into mid-day.

Lose: Nothing new this year. All new purchases seem to have been upgrades so far.

Last edited:
Hits:
-New Hoyt Pro Defiant
-Sitka Equinox Pant
-Swing Blaze knife (again and again!)
-New hunting friend Southern Elk!

Misses:
-loudest Sitka Gore-Tex pants ever. Absolute worthless junk. Why do I continue to wear these year after year!?!
-FIL's friend that iINSISTS on carrying his bow in his sling at ALL times while hunting elk. His release also must remain buried in his pocket while hunting elk too!?! Three "I'm not ready" opportunities wasted on 2 cow elk and 1 bull elk. WTF?!?

Didn't work:

Browning Citori Superlite feather 16 gauge. Besides being a hard to find sweet English straight grip 16 gauge, the 1.6 lb weight reduction over my 12 gauge has all but remedied left Elbow tendonitis....

And a great little friend who happens to know how to do some really cool things.......
View attachment 77950

Great looking dog. Also, not sure where you are sourcing your sweet 16 ammo, but I've been buying the Fiochi from Rogers Sporting Goods. Comes in around $100ish a case if I remember correctly. It was cheaper than I was buying it locally.

Good:
Seek Outside Cimarron tipi tent
First Lite Grizzly mittens
Vortex Talon HD 10x42 binos
OnX App
Decked storage system in the bed of my Tundra

Bad:
Multicam Howa stock, finish is flaking off after 12 months, but I'm replacing with a B&C stock anyway...

Works great but gets heavier every year.
That starts to apply to EVERYTHING around your 50th birthday.:)

WORKED: Good old-fashioned natural wool; socks and sweaters
Under-Armor base layer!!!
Leupold: 3-9x40 VX-1 and 1-4x VX-Hog
Swarovski binos and spotter
Good ol' Sierra Game Kings
Jet sled for game retrieval
A friend's son on his first deer hunt. Stayed calm, took his time, and squeezed off one good shot to get his whitetail buck. Dad taught him well.

NO-GO: Just about every pair of boots I've tried over the past 30 plus years
Crooked Horn binocular harness; buckles always slip and elastic straps keep getting longer and looser
Primos shooting sticks; 1st time at bat, in deep snow, the tip came off one leg, which then fell apart in sections (Excellent customer service in replacing them though.)
67-year-old hunting partner who still gets extreme buck fever and turns into a 10-year-old boy every time he sees antlers.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back