Equipment: What worked and what did not

What worked:

Tikka T3x Lite .308 - That rifle kicked butt. Accurate and light weight with a smooth action and crisp, light trigger. I hauled it all over the Highlands and the Custer. It will be my companion on many hunts to come.

165 grain Hornady BTSP Interlocks. I shot 3 deer with these this season with the afore-mentioned .308, and many others in the past few years as well as 2 elk, they flat out kill the heck out of stuff. They carve a great wound channel through the animal and hold together. They are accurate. All my rifles love them, but the deer and elk do not. I will continue to rely on them in everything I shoot. Standard cup and core, not considered a "premium bullet" but I've seen enough good results in several cartridges to be a believer.

Garmin E-trex - Very simple, easy to use, and reliable. No downloaded topo maps or fancy-pantsy stuff. Just saves way points and points you in the direction you want to go. My E-trex lead me to the skelleton of an elk I killed 7 years ago in a wilderness jungle.

Keen hiking boots. Keens tend to get a bad rap from, but they are comfortable to hike 15 miles in. You'll want a good pair of gaiters in the snow, however.

-

I didn't have any real Fails, but my Nikon Alcon range finder works well for archery distances, but you get out around 275 yards and have a hard time getting it to read.

Cabella's Alaska frame pack - It's bulky and noisy, but I've used it to pack hundreds of pounds of meat out of the mountains. It could withstand the blast of a surface-to-air missile and you can put more weight in it than could be carried by a mortal, but I don't want to hunt with it on my back. I consider it my "heavy lifter". I just throw it in the truck when I'm heading out in case I kill something, but it's not useful as a day pack.

REI 10X32 binoculars - They don't pick up great detail, but they do a lot of things I like. They're light weight and rugged. I've layed prone on a rocks and army crawled through snow with them on my chest; beat the crud out of them and they keep doing what they're made to do. They're clear in good light, but not great in low-light conditions. I keep thinking I need to get a larger pair of binos for low light and longer distances, but the REI's are great for the run and gun situations I tend to find myself in.

Worked
Sylo Redding Pants
Slumberjack Bounty 2.0 Pack-It didnt everything i asked it to do and was comfy carrying heavy weights
Marsupial Gear bino Harness-Hunting the east iv never seen anyone have a bino harness, if people carry them i seem them on just normal straps that are elastic, What a big upgrade it is and improvement it was chaning over to the harness
Ice Breaker camo merion shirt-I bought this for like $15 off camo fire-Best deal iv ever got, I wore this evey day this year except 2 i think.
165 accubond for my 30-06, My gun never shot great but with these loaded it grouped sub moa, I filled my buck tag the first day of the season it worked flawlessly.

Not
Molle 2 rucks sack-It was just too small for me and i couldnt get it adjusted right.
My old heavyweight camo-I only wore it once but i remember why i rarly wear it, Its heavy, works ok but not great.

Maybe
Sig kilo 850-It was a huge upgrade for me over my last range finder, Really only thing i dont like is it has to be pretty daylight to use it.
Danner Boots-I bought these off ebay for around $70 new, best boot iv owned but with all the complaines about waterproofness im not sold, time will tell

Of all the gear i picked up last year im always refining/looking for somthing new/better my upgrade list for 2018
-Heavy camo bottoms, Posibly tops
-Lightweight uninsulated boots
-Posibly new broad heads, Im doing research now

Worked
Thermarest Neolight xtherm- Way more comfortable then my old pad and packs down to about a quarter the size... make sure you have a ground cloth of some kind.
Caribou Game bags, boned out meat bags - Perfect size for an elk and the size and structure of the bags makes it much easier to load up boned out meat

Failed
Black diamond headlamp and Petzel headlamp... why can't someone make a headlamp with a decent button, even with the lock mode I still found my light turned on in my pack multiple times.

Crap I forgot to add one of the most important items. We all know how valuable a great hunting knife is and I got a gift for retirement this spring and got to use it this fall and it was fantastic. It's a Ruana knife their model 5AD. It's got a 4" drop point blade and it really worked very well. I also have their Steelhead model. They build a good solid knife made right here in western montana.

http://www.ruanaknives.com/knivesandhatchetgallery.aspx

Worked
Thermarest Neolight xtherm- Way more comfortable then my old pad and packs down to about a quarter the size... make sure you have a ground cloth of some kind.
Caribou Game bags, boned out meat bags - Perfect size for an elk and the size and structure of the bags makes it much easier to load up boned out meat

Failed
Black diamond headlamp and Petzel headlamp... why can't someone make a headlamp with a decent button, even with the lock mode I still found my light turned on in my pack multiple times.

Same here, I found my headlamp on twice in my pack. the 2nd time the batteries were dead and I had at least an hour hike out in the dark. had to use my backup which is hand held flashlight.

Last edited:
Worked:
Lowa Renegade GTX...second season wearing them, most comfortable boot I've put on
Tikka T3 25-06. Been a long time since I have missed using that rifle
Cabelas Instinct soft shell jacket and pants. Supposedly not 100% waterproof but they kept me dry all day in the pouring rain more than once.
Outdoor Research gaiters
Knockin' on doors (couldn't believe it)
Alpine Summit trekking poles
Phelps game calls mouth reeds

Didn't work:
Badlands 2500. Squeaks way too much..maybe it'll break in a little more
Wilks Brothers running elk off of public and onto their land (theory)
Invisible twigs that deflect your arrow right over the back of a bull
Not having a spotter..time for an investment
285/75/r16 used..apparently impossible to find if you blow one out
Primos soundplate reeds. The seal comes apart after 2 days of use every single time

Last edited:
Worked

Failed

Try Princeton tec headlamps, never had an issue with mine turning on when I didn't want it to. Also, I take the batteries out when I am not using it for extended periods which helps.

Failed

I am pretty sure the newest model of Black Diamond STORM model has lock-out

I am pretty sure the newest model of Black Diamond STORM model has lock-out

Yeah I have the new version... you put that think in your pocket and hike all day or cram it into your bag it eventually turns on, I eventually resorted to flipping one of the batteries but I wish someone made a light you could just turn off and not worry about. I will definitely take a look at princeton tec.

Awesome-------- A little Am/FM radio with ear phones that takes AA batteries. Sure helps with long solo October nights and you're not fighting a freaking phone battery the whole time.

Dud-----my brain when I pulled the trigger and kilt a dink bool in that spot!

I got two new pieces of gear this year, neither of which I'm 100% impressed with.

Kifaru Hunter Frame - I've never had skin rubbed off my back before, but this pack did it 2 different times. I couldn't get it to fit my back properly no matter what I tried. Its' fine with moderate 70-80lbs in it, but over that the stays dug into my spine just above the lumbar pad. I think I will try a set of aluminium stay's and see if that helps, otherwise its getting tripped. I asked Kifaru about it, and I was accused of not knowing how to adjust it properly... couldn't possibly be the design or a unique back shape... I like the pack other wise.

The second was a Mystery Ranch Quick Draw bino harness. Its well thought out, but not a fan of how it rides. The top tends to tilt forward away from your body, and if you don't have the lid chinced down, the binos will fall out if you bend over even the slightest. The balance needs some work. The sliders that connect the binos to the harness do not stay put, and slide to the bottom with very little pressure. The straps that connect the binos to the harness get hung up on the oculars of the binos as well. Both problems were fixed with a wrap or two of black tape.

Worked:

Nosler .30
Leupold VX3i-4.5-14x50 CDS
Kuiu 3500 pack
Kuiu pelaton tops and Attack pants
Kuiu Yukon rain gear
Polaris 900 XP EPS
Solo Hunter gun cover ( highly recommend)
Vanguard ED 10x42 binos
Kuiu bino harness
Wearing poly pro sock liners under my smart wool socks
Kershaw quick change knife set

Did not work:
Danner full curl boots- very disappointed. Coming apart in second year and bad fitting now that they are broken in. Will switch brands this year
My two stocks on two great mule deer ( Wind -weather( fog) and me not being ready
trying to convince myself I could sleep in a mummy bag ( bag was fine, but too cramped for me since I cant sleep without moving )

What worked the best: This HuntTalk Forum, and a borrowed pair of trekking poles.
What worked great: Sitka Mountain pants and Jet Stream Jacket, onX App, Leupold RX1200i TBR ranger finder.
What's undecided: Mystery Ranch Cabinet backpack, possibly due to a lack of a heavy load.

Here's my list:

Has always worked: Toyota Tacoma, Leupold Optics

New Item this year that worked: Oregon Works BinoBro harness

Has never worked: cheap knives

New item this year that didn't work: Gerber Vital fixed blade. Still searching for the perfect knife.

Ford F150
19th Century rifles
oaper-wrapped lead
Swiss 1.5fg
All kinds of knives, but esp. Rapala filet knives (4 for $10 used).
Leica

Didn't work Meindl Ultralights (did not last the first day).

Yays & nays

180 Scenar L .28 cal....yes
Gerber Vital...yes
Mule quartered game cartage....yes
Yoga mat....hell no

Yays & nay

Caribou bags
Gerber Vital
Nosler Trophy,still
Tacoma still & F-150 now

Nay
Merrill boots,er tennies...

Worked:
Maiden voyage for tikka 7mm08 and rem accutip. 1 shot, 1 deer.
T/C Impact - Hornady 300gr XTP-BH 209. 2 shots, 2 deer.
Didnt work:
Torm meniscus in knee opening weekend....short season.

Updating my list

works:
kuiu rain gear. not silent but very light and fits!
cabelas instinct spotter (meopta) phenomenal.
kuiu down jacket
leupold golden ring 12-40x60 hd. great for packing and for zoom out to 38x.
schrade knife. awesome steel. holds an edge.
columbia nylon pants. cant remember the model. tough and light. dries fast! the camo model is thinner material and not tough. the good ones dont come in camo.
darn tough socks. cold weather only.
wyoming saw.

sucks:
asolo boots. 4 pairs and every pair rubs heel blisters even after 100+ miles.
refurbished garmin rino 650. have to send back. should have bought new.
leupold cascade replacements. my first pair lasted 13 years. finally had to send in for focus wheel. the new replacements are NOT the same quality.
hornady sst ammo. .270wm. center punched my bull through both lungs and took 10 minutes to die. going to try interlocks.

Works:
Meopta meostar 10x42 hd.
Crispi Boots. AWESOME!
Kuiu down pants
Black diamond spot headlamp
Kuiu bino harness
Eberlestock mainframe. But wish it was a little bigger.
Kuiu peloton 240 zip hooded. Nice piece of gear. Ditched my softshell to save weight.
Mountain hardwear nylon pants. Better than Columbia’s.

Leki carbon trekking poles. Will never shed hunt or backpack without these again! You may call them sissy sticks, but they saved my bacon. I felt infinitely better during a backpack trip (2 nights) picking up sheds. We packed out 200 lbs of antler plus our gear. I’m usually so beat after 1 day of packing that much, but I felt fine! Even on day hikes I take them. They are worth their weight in gold.

Sucks:
Forgetting my trekking poles.
Salomon boots. Leaked on my 3rd hike. (Comfy though)

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tracker boat
Back