Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Hello fellow hunters

C.Vines

Hello guys, new to the forum, at first glance it’s obvious this is a spot with a bunch of folks that seem to take their hunting seriously, and I hope I can contribute to that perception. I am from southern Michigan and I am an avid deer hunter. I’ve been very successful here the last several years and I am looking to expand my deer hunting horizons so to speak. The west has always interested me but I think a lot can agree that at first look, especially for someone who isn’t from the area, picking a state, a unit, point systems, etc. can be overwhelming!lol I decided recently that next fall is the time to jump in feet first and give an out of state western hunt a go. Undecided yet exactly what I’d like to chase in 2018 but I figured this is the time to start planning. It seems like mule deer are the kings so to speak of the west and whitetail almost get overlooked by many. Would western guys say that’s a accurate statement? I started poking around looking at information on spot and stalk hunting and that lead me here. I’m looking at contributing and learning from you guys as I go and am already excited for next fall!

Here are a few of my better deer from here over the last few years. I’ve been extremely blessed with the properties I have access on and the amount of land I have permission on. Thank you and enjoy!

Welcome from another Michigander, as I'm over here in the sw part of the LP. Those are some might fine bucks and with a bow yet---Congrats on your accomplishments for a guy that looks pretty young! Where exactly is home and what county are you hunting! If you decide to hunt out in Wyoming and need any help, give me a shout by PM and I'd be more than happy to help on any questions about the draws, possible places to put in for, etc., as I haven't missed a season out there since 1998.

Wow, those are some awesome whitetails. What are the scores? They all look like great old bucks with mass. If I were in your shoes, assuming you're looking for a mule deer hunt, I'd be looking at Colorado as the first choice, followed by Idaho or Wyoming. You could do a fun deer/antelope combo in Wyoming with zero preference points. I wouldn't recommend Montana these days.

Welcome aboard. Southern Mi. turns out some big corn feed trophies. Great first post and great bucks.

Awesome bucks! Western transplant from MI here. I will say once you experience some mule deer hunting you will be hooked! Lots of good whitetail hunting out west as well. Good luck! If you ever want to look into ND whitetail or eastern MT deer shoot me a PM.

Wow, those are some awesome whitetails. What are the scores? They all look like great old bucks with mass. If I were in your shoes, assuming you're looking for a mule deer hunt, I'd be looking at Colorado as the first choice, followed by Idaho or Wyoming. You could do a fun deer/antelope combo in Wyoming with zero preference points. I wouldn't recommend Montana these days.

Thank you for the recommendations, the deer pictured range from 150-173 inches.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back