A good morning hunt with Gus

dalbo

After an unseasonably warm November in the Phoenix area it finally cooled off enough to chase some quail. My shorthair Gus is pushing 11 and probably doesn't have many hunting years left on the clock so I'm hoping to get him out 3 or 4 times this season.

_20171209_183249.jpg

IMG_20171209_104934036.jpg

Saturday morning was windy by Phoenix standards which made locating coveys by ear difficult. We didn't turn up any coveys working into the wind but ran into 4 on the way back to the truck. Unfortunately Gus didn't get any good points due to the spooky birds and uncooperative wind but made some great retrieves. We ended up with 4 Gamble's quail and one morning dove.

IMG_20171209_110412781.jpg

Gus has been pretty foot sore as he lost one of his boots after the first 1/4 mile, that decomposed granite gravel is hard on paws.

Funny side story, I set my vest and other gear down in the kitchen and went to get something else out of the truck. Back inside I couldn't find our Jack Russell/Maltese, I called for him and he comes out of his kennel with this big ole bird in his mouth. I imagine he was thinking, "I don't know what to do with this thing but it's mine dad!"

IMG_20171209_125106915.jpg

Happy guy. Keep him out there as much as you and he can. It's what he lives for (probably you too???).
In the same boat with my older girl.
I appreciate being out with her now in an entirely different and deeper way......

Can a guy successfully hunt quail without dogs? I'm going deer hunting in southern AZ next month and was debating whether its worth bringing the shotgun or not.

Bigsky2, it depends on the species found in your area. No dog needed for Gamble's or scaled. Mearn's would be real tough without a dog, I've stumbled into a few Mearn's coveys while deer hunting but it would be a low probability deal.

Looks like a fun time. I'll be in your neck of the woods in a couple of week to chase some quail and javelina.

God bless you for getting him out. Hunting dogs deserve we repay the happiness they give us and nothing better than getting them out. Good looking dog.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back