Pick a cartridge

WoodsQuest

I'm writing a story for fun. The main character moves to Alaska and during that process picks up a used Ruger Hawkeye in a gun shop. Which caliber should his Hawkeye be?

1. .308 Win
  2. .338 Fed
  3. .358 Win

Depends. If you want him/her to die or narrowly escape then I pick the 308. If you want that person to live, go with the 358 Win

Eskimos kill polar bears with a .222 Remington. The smaller the cartridge, the better the story. mtmuley
Saw that when I was researching. Seems locals use run-of-the-mill cartridges and the big magnums are mostly carried by non-residents. Just what I've gathered from internet research.

Maybe have him pick up an old 6.5 swed like Vilhjalmur Stefansson.

But of the listed above .338 fed

Maybe your story line can progress like the one I heard about the woman who saved herself from a grizzly charge with a .22 rimfire pistol. One shot to her boyfriend's kneecap was all it took for her to escape without a scratch.

Saw that when I was researching. Seems locals use run-of-the-mill cartridges and the big magnums are mostly carried by non-residents. Just what I've gathered from internet research.

While we were there most the locals had shotguns with slugs for bear defense. Of course I was running the non-resident .454!
.44 mag seemed to be the handgun of choice. But this was fishing not hunting.

I'd go with an older MKII and in 308. Probably a much more common thing to find in a pawn shop.

You could do an old Russian cartridge - 7.62X39 is common. Lots of old surplus weapons found in pawn shops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kallcarrty
Back