Thunder Basin National Grassland

Hello! New member from Missouri here. Not trying to hijack this thread, but i've been doing my own research and would like to do the same hike in/out this year. Is there a reason no one has mentioned Area 29 for Thunder Basin? It seems like it has lots of public land with roads... Hunter success rate is in the 80%+ and looks pretty easy to draw a tag with no points. I'm still learning to decipher and pick apart the information regarding draw odds, so please excuse my ignorance.

If the OP doesn't have any PPs now, he won't be hunting unit 27 for at least 5 or 6 years if he puts in for the Regular Draw since it took 5 PPs in 2017, unless he'd draw it in the Random Draw. Unit 7 would be doable in 2 or 3 years though.

Last edited:
Thanks again for all the info and comments everyone. On second look I guess Topgun 30-06 is right, wouldn't be able to do 27 by 2020. I was thinking if we applied in 2018 and 2019 we would get 2 points and be able to purchase 2 points as well. I now realize that we can not purchase preference points on top of being awarded preference points. So it looks like 7 is probably going to be it, but we will stay flexible.

Back