Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Pups Progress

Puppies are fun but they are also a pain in the ass. They are also very unpredictable. I just want to stack the deck in my favor the next time.

I know enough people that have gone this route and it works out great. A few years later you wouldn't know the difference. Ya if when I get older and have a lot of time I will go puppy route again.

I would absolutely buy a finished dog. From a financial standpoint it makes total sense when I break down what I make hourly vs how many hours I have in my dog already.

The wife would never let me though...

I would absolutely buy a finished dog. From a financial standpoint it makes total sense when I break down what I make hourly vs how many hours I have in my dog already.

That was more pointed towards another poster. Wait until you have a few little ones running around and see if your wife comes around. My wife is the opposite the last puppy almost killed us.

I loved training my first dog it was so much fun and she was such a great dog. I just don't have the time with kids right now and you are 100% correct financially it isn't that much different other than you take the entire hit up front.

One other route that a friends went that worked well. He picked out the puppy but then had a trainer keep him for the first year and half. Then he took him hunting and sent him back. You have to have a guy that is willing to work with you though. The guy was super cool and he ended up breeding him a bunch and splitting the profits with my buddy.

That is a great picture of you, your wife and the pup!

From a financial standpoint every one of us should still be single. Personally, I’ll do the pup every time.

Great picture.

Final hunt of the year for Tahoe and I... great first season.

He got a little better every time we went out.

Starting hunt test training Monday! Going to be a busy and fun summer earning some ribbons!

D7A34748-11BD-45D6-8423-B51138733B78.jpg

87CB4E19-C180-41F5-AF9B-A40C8FE9A3B3.jpg

0E267629-C49D-401E-BD6D-83802C86501D.jpg

ABDA2CE5-5815-4563-8303-D996CA0899CB.jpg

0560777E-BD7B-46E2-9920-B0A72D078FA9.jpg

DCD9BC67-93C3-4EFE-B108-B6D4C43566D7.jpg

Went 2 for 2 last weekend at our first hunt test. 2 ribbons town 2 to go.

Next test in 2 weeks and that should complete our JR title. After than I'm going to transition over to the APLA world and go as far as we can in that association.

TahoeAKCJrKingman.jpg

AKC Junior title completed last weekend. 4/4, no fails. Cheated real bad on one of the water marks I'm thankful the judges passed us... would not have faulted them if they didn't.

Headed to our first American Pointing Lab Association test this weekend. Not nearly as confident and his upland bird work is not near as consistent as it needs to be.

Initially we had no desire to breed or stud him out... a breeder offered me $1500 to stud him out after seeing him run last weekend, once he turns 2 and passes his health checks. So looks like we'll be in the dog breeding business soon ha.

If you've never considered a pointing lab I highly suggest you seriously consider. Even you die hard upland guys. The most versital dog I could imagine. Ducks in the morning, upland after that, and even find sheds in February/March. AND they're great at sitting on the couch watching netflix ha.

31530453_10215996337482968_5771395796154974208_n.jpg

That's awesome.

My lab & I played "I'm just going to ignore sit & stay command today." Needless to say our training session didn't last very long. ;)

We regularly play "i'm just going to try and eat this bird instead of point it dad" haha

It is a fun game! We introduced Groot to dead birds a couple of weeks ago and we're doing a lot of blind retrieves on bumpers. It's pretty cool to watch the knothead put it together and use her nose to find something. Hopefully one day she'll be half as well trained as yours!

It is a fun game! We introduced Groot to dead birds a couple of weeks ago and we're doing a lot of blind retrieves on bumpers. It's pretty cool to watch the knothead put it together and use her nose to find something. Hopefully one day she'll be half as well trained as yours!

How old is your pup? Let me know if you have any training questions... I'm no expert by any means but have networked with a lot of pro trainers in the area. I made some mistakes early on in upland that I'm paying for, much easier to never create the bad habit than to correct it!

How old is your pup? Let me know if you have any training questions... I'm no expert by any means but have networked with a lot of pro trainers in the area. I made some mistakes early on in upland that I'm paying for, much easier to never create the bad habit than to correct it!

She's ten months now. I've been working with our local gundog club on the training and they've been incredibly helpful. She's been getting about an hour a day on strict training and has good days and bad days but today was pretty good. Only one correction for breaking stay and she's about got heel down pat, except for throwing herself into my legs right at the end. ;)

Still a pup but should be getting a bit better every trip out. Something was mentioned about not being able to work birds because the season's are closed. Don't let that bother you, get pigeon's, east to catch! Now sounds like your going the pointing Lab route? If so I can't really help you. but if not, tuck the pigeon's head and plant it with the wind holding the head down. Your dog may catch every one but with a flushing dog that doesn't matter it won't catch many wild birds. If you really want your dog to point, disregard the above.

Tahoe passed his APLA Certified Pointer Retriever test over the weekend. Now a AKC JH and APLA CPR titled dog. We'll be training hard all summer and going for master titles in the fall. Should be fun!

2 beautiful tripod points in the upland, and two nice easy retrieves to finish out the water series. Super proud of this dog, I'm by far the weak link in the team.

I gotta get me a training pond like we ran the water series on haha!

31936553_10216047446720667_6338926357967273984_n.jpg

31947807_10216047509202229_1708258714395344896_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back