Caribou Gear

Plains Elk Scouting

BeartoothFront

I should preface this by saying I'm not another person asking about Eastern MT. Cause you know, theres a huge bull behind every tree there...but just want to experience elk hunting in a different kind of habitat than I'm used too.

As I begin to research for the coming application season I'm becoming more interested with trying out some kind of plains elk hunt. Fin’s Central WY rifle hunts come to mind. Also have been looking at Southern Idaho. Having grown up hunting dark timber in the mountains I’m not sure how much I know about elk in the plains.

All of the scouting info I have found seems to be more keyed to elk in the mountains. My question is do you computer scout it the same way as elk in the mountains? Do you look for the same typical stuff? Like north facing timber? Feed sources? Water? The most obvious answer I’ve come up with is find water. I feel it is pretty essential in that type of country. Any suggestions are appreciated. Let me know what works best for you.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Where Fin hunts elk in central Wyoming is not a true plains hunt for elk. I would say it is still mountains or foot hills in regards to how to hunt it and some terrain. For me, a plains hunt is more southwest Wyoming, and some places in eastern/northeastern Wyoming.

Semantics aside, I have found that remote areas, just like in the mountains, are the key. As for water sources, e scouting is pretty tough for that as it may not show any water or it may show seasonal water that is not there currently. Also, timber areas are good, but elk on the plains have no issue being out in the wide open where they can see everything coming, so just because there is timber doesn't mean it will hold elk.

Are you looking at an early season hunt or later hunt?

The elk in that type of terrain are extremely nomadic in my experience. Constantly moving and it is realistic to not hear, smell, or see them for numerous days in a row. You will also be typically dealing with private land boundaries wherever you find the elk.

375H&H- So what your talking about is more like the Red Desert and the likes? Would that country in those episodes be similar to where the Big Horns roll south into the flat land and South of Cody along the face there?

I'm often let down by that perfect water hole I e-scouted only to find it bone dry in person. The idea about them being in the open is was pushed me to post the question. Obviously elk want a good vantage point but on a computer how do you distiguish a bench elk would use from the other they wouldnt touch...

I had no preference as far as hunt date. I was more just interested and poking about.

375H&H- So what your talking about is more like the Red Desert and the likes? Would that country in those episodes be similar to where the Big Horns roll south into the flat land and South of Cody along the face there?

I'm often let down by that perfect water hole I e-scouted only to find it bone dry in person. The idea about them being in the open is was pushed me to post the question. Obviously elk want a good vantage point but on a computer how do you distiguish a bench elk would use from the other they wouldnt touch...

I had no preference as far as hunt date. I was more just interested and poking about.

Yes, the southern bighorns around Kaycee and south is very similar to the terrain in the unit Fin hunts, great comparison.

The other thing about water, is that the animals may be watering at a place that you can't even see before setting foot, or you may not ever find their water source for whatever reason; unlike the mountains in the northern states where you will either know where the water is or you will have a good idea where to look usually.

What Blake said is true in my experience, the elk move a LOT and are very concentrated from my experiences also. One day you will wonder what the hell am I doing with my life and the next day you will say "I just peeked over and there they all were". That can happen in the mountains too I suppose, but seems to happen more on the plains for me at least.

In more direct terms with your question about which bench elk would prefer, I personally don't focus on that so much. Getting to a high point and glassing all sorts of areas as the elk can truly be anywhere is the best way. Yes, east/west slopes, shaded areas, etc are good but sometimes the elk will be 5-10 miles from the nearest tree or small canyon, so you just never know. That is why I asked about the time of year because as per Fin's 5 seasons that can change where the elk are between early and late, depending on the unit. However, some plains elk don't always have a winter range. Some elk I have hunted will literally be in the same few square miles year round so even though you may be hunting the late season it doesn't mean they will be in a whole different area necessarily.

Sorry I am rambling a bit but that is what the plains have over the mountains, is if you get to a high point and glass, you can typically see a lot more country and more varying types of terrain than in the thick stuff.

They seem to always have a few secret water sources you'll never find unless you stumble upon them by accident. Seems like true plains elk hunting is a lot like hunting pronghorn. Find a high point and glass. Is it safe to assume that elk densities in the true plains is lower than most?

They seem to always have a few secret water sources you'll never find unless you stumble upon them by accident. Seems like true plains elk hunting is a lot like hunting pronghorn. Find a high point and glass. Is it safe to assume that elk densities in the true plains is lower than most?

Yes densities are usually a bit lower than the mountains for sure. Another good tactic is tracking. Plains tracking is a bit different than the mountains because you can scan farther ahead if you know the direction the animals are moving. I have killed multiple elk on the plains this way with an early fresh snow, which always helps.

Security is the most important thing for hunting plains elk IMO. If you can see them from a road, someone else can too. Open county elk can go a LONG ways when spooked. Sometimes they go a long ways when they aren’t spooked.

Wind direction plays a Huge role in where prairie elk will bed.

These specifics may be the same for elk in the bush, but it is certainly more noticeable in the open.

They will almost always bed with their blindside and wind at their back, eyes facing downwind.
Noses "watch" for what they can't see.

When roaming, try to walk cross or upwind.
Look everywhere, but expect them to be on the downwind side of any hills or holes.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back