Seasonality??

VikingsGuy

I am doing a little reconfiguration of my guns and looking to sell three and buy two. I am in no huge rush, but would like to have it done within the next 10 or so months. Setting aside political driven demand spikes, is there a "good time" or "down time" to buying and selling guns? For example, do manufacturers typically give best pricing at year end, or is just before season start (Aug) a better or worse time to buy or sell?

I am doing a little reconfiguration of my guns and looking to sell three and buy two. I am in no huge rush, but would like to have it done within the next 10 or so months. Setting aside political driven demand spikes, is there a "good time" or "down time" to buying and selling guns? For example, do manufacturers typically give best pricing at year end, or is just before season start (Aug) a better or worse time to buy or sell?

You find good deals when you find good deals. I would not wait around for some time when I think the price is gonna go down. If I can afford the rifle, I can afford it and get it! I am sitting here imagining a big sale on rifle's. For Sale Winchester Featherweight's $50 off! Sometime's these sale are no sale at all. Ran into a store owner one time that told me how sales work. Raise the price of whatever is going on sale for a couple month's then lower it back to where it was for the big sale!

You find good deals when you find good deals. I would not wait around for some time when I think the price is gonna go down. If I can afford the rifle, I can afford it and get it! I am sitting here imagining a big sale on rifle's. For Sale Winchester Featherweight's $50 off! Sometime's these sale are no sale at all. Ran into a store owner one time that told me how sales work. Raise the price of whatever is going on sale for a couple month's then lower it back to where it was for the big sale!

I agree with this. All of the gun deals I have come across have been sporadic at best. One place to look is the Cabelas gun library. They get new and used guns in and out of there all of the time so a good deal could pop up at any point. And, if the gun is nowhere near where you live, they will ship it for free even to just have you look at it.

I believe Cabelas charges 20 or 25 to ship store-to-store, but minor detail. Carry on.

a cheapo .243, cheapo 7mm08, and cheapo .270 and a really nice BAR in 7mmRemMag -- all either new or shot less than a box.

Ya know what. Look at a new Mossberg. I bought two of them this year. I only got the second because the first really excited me how well it shot; The first was a 243. With a plastic stock it was $299! I bought the wood stock for it as I don't care for plastic stocks at all. I don't know what one that comes with the Vortex scope runs but maybe another hundred or so!

a cheapo .243, cheapo 7mm08, and cheapo .270 and a really nice BAR in 7mmRemMag -- all either new or shot less than a box.

You may run into an issue trying to sell the cheapo rifles. This year it seemed that every 2 weeks someone was running them on special...at one point Cabelas had Savage Axis rifles for $99 (after rebate) and I think sales were also for Ruger Americans for $275 and T/C rifles for about $225. The BAR may fetch a decent price.

Rifle sales are tough to predict so you may need to pounce when they are priced right. Check now to see what things cost and watch the sale ads to see if sales are actually worth the drive or worth the FFL transfer fees.

Last edited:
what are the .243 and .270, and what are you wanting to get out of them? you can PM me if you would rather as well.

The head dude at the Cabelas store gun room in Glendale AZ would be right at home working for John Dillinger. GJ

I am terrible at selling guns, but if I were to attempt - it would be for trade or private sale. A friend of mine sells on gun broker quite a bit. That might be worth a look.

Savage, Remington, and Browning all have mail in rebates right now.
$100 off of a Savage is nothing to sneeze at.

I wasn't really posting to sell just yet, was just asking the more general question about seasonality. Lots of things have seasonality to their pricing, cars, homes, steaks, etc, just wondering if guns did as well. Sounding like the answer is, no.

But if someone has their eye out for one of those calibers happy to PM for now. I will probably be back after the new year to post them properly otherwise.

General info for context: .243 Win Savage Model 11 less than 15 rounds through on bench, never in field; .270 Win Ruger American never been shot, never been out of the safe, 7mm08 Rem Marlin XS7 less that 10 round through on the bench, never in the field; and a Browning BAR MK II Safari walnut 7mmRemMag never been shot, never out of the safe.

Last edited:
If your going to sell em for the most you think you can, then certainly sell in the time around February-March. Lots of income tax checks get burned on guns.
Unfortunately the Savage , Ruger American, and Marlin guns are tuff to resale for what you've paid for them. As others have said, to many can be had for cheap on sale new.
Used is still used. Even if it was just taken home to sleep in your gun cabinet.
Running an add in your local paper during income tax time is always a good way to sell anything.

I would like to say that the Marlin xs7 rifle is the worst shooting rifle I have ran across in my gun buying experience.
But after putting a new laminated stock on it from Boyd's, it is one of the best shooting guns I own.
You may not have had an issue with yours but the plastic stock on those rifles is especially crappy and moves around way too much.

I would like to say that the Marlin xs7 rifle is the worst shooting rifle I have ran across in my gun buying experience.
But after putting a new laminated stock on it from Boyd's, it is one of the best shooting guns I own.
You may not have had an issue with yours but the plastic stock on those rifles is especially crappy and moves around way too much.

Only put 10 shells through it. 4 to get zeroed and two - 3 bullet groups; and they were under an inch at 100 yds off of sandbags, so not too bad, but never shot off tripod or some type of makeshift off hand field shot that would have torqued the plastic stock. My dislike is the blind internal magazine.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back