Caribou Gear

Colorado 2nd Season - Successful 1st Western DIY Hunt

Sweet buck! Big bodied dude. You guys did really well in what's usually a tough season.

Wow, good job guys! How many points did it take?

Thanks, the unit we hunted required no preference points to be drawn. The hunting pressure was high with lots of road hunters, but once you hiked out of view of the road and major two tracks we saw virtually no other hunters and more game.

Thanks for all the kind words, the trip exceeded our expectations being this was our first time hunting the west. There will surely be more trips in the future..

Congrats, nice deer! I'm looking at traveling from midwest ohio this fall. Any "if I had only known" info you care to share now that you know?

Congrats, nice deer! I'm looking at traveling from midwest ohio this fall. Any "if I had only known" info you care to share now that you know?

Coming from the Midwest, the elevation is no joke. We were hunting/camping close to 9600 ft. We drove straight through, setup camp and hunted that evening. If we were to go there again, I think we would make our way over earlier a few days before the hunt started and get a little accumulated before hunting as hard as we did. Also I wish I had spent the money and bought a spotting scope, 12x50 on a tripod were ok and I was able to pick deer out of the mountainside, but you really couldnt see how big they were until they moved. And a pair of puffy pants for glassing would have been nice, we had mornings in the teens it would have been a nice layer to have in the morning and shed them once the sun warmed everything up.

Hope success finds you this fall and enjoy the experience!

Congratulations! Enjoyed the pics. The extra work pays off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back