On X Maps question

PennDude

I just purchased my first GPS, a Garmin Oregon 650t. I've been looking at upgrading maps on the device. What I really want is satellite imagery but I refuse to pay a subscription fee from Garmin. Do On X Maps have a satellite imagery layer for GPS devices? I know they do for phones but I wasn't sure it would be available for my Garmin.

That is not an option. You can get it through Basecamp, Garmins software. I think it was $30/yr for satellite to download it.

FWIW, have you tried the app? You might be able to return the GPS if you like the app enough...

I just purchased my first GPS, a Garmin Oregon 650t. I've been looking at upgrading maps on the device. What I really want is satellite imagery but I refuse to pay a subscription fee from Garmin. Do On X Maps have a satellite imagery layer for GPS devices? I know they do for phones but I wasn't sure it would be available for my Garmin.

At this time, we do not have satellite imagery available on our Hunt Chip but like 406 Life mentioned below, you will get satellite imagery on our mobile phone app and you will get a lot more features and customization on the phone than the GPS unit. We are looking into options for that in the future and hopefully will be able to figure out a solution for GPS users. If you do purchase a Hunt Chip, you'll get the topographic map but also get the first year of the membership included so you can utilize both devices for different scenarios. Additional info regarding the Chip www.onxmaps.com/hunt-chip and Additional info regarding the App www.onxmaps.com/hunt-app

Please let us know if you have any other questions

I have had my phone GPS completely fail me in the past and am hesitant to trust a phone GPS again in the future. I'd much rather have satellite imagery on my dedicated GPS unit.

I have had my phone GPS completely fail me in the past and am hesitant to trust a phone GPS again in the future. I'd much rather have satellite imagery on my dedicated GPS unit.

Sorry to hear that. Have you seen all of the new features since our most overhaul in August? We have greatly improved the app and it is extremely reliable out in the field. I can understand your reservations but as long as you download those maps for offline use then you will be set to go with all of the information you need while out there and you'll be able to see your location. Here's a tutorial on how to save those maps https://onxmapssupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115007554328-Off-Grid-maps-Save-maps-when-you-are-out-of-cell-coverage Please do not hesitate to ask us any questions

My issue was on a Nexus 6P and the GPS just would not work. Not with any app. I'm not sure what the issue was there. I had even downloaded maps. I'm going to buy the chip for my state and check out the phone app as well. Thanks for the comments.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back