2017 Mule Deer DIY Hunts: UT General; NV Late - Archery

bbright

Never done 2 hunts in one year nor a solo hunt, much less 2. My hunting buddy was covered up with work. It is too big a gamble to me to risk introducing a new partner without proper planning. So early August, I flew from San Antonio to SLC. My work load was heavy this year but I’m 47. My ability to take full advantage of back pack hunts has a sunset and I was determined to get out and enjoy the experiences while I can. I knew the general hunt would be challenging. I struggled to find deer. Had a couple fork horns in range but not what I was after. A section of private land nearby had 6+ shooters in the center of the national forrest. Spent a few days working around the steep terrain around this private but never laid eyes on a shooter. Saw some tremendous elk, blessed with great weather and how can you complain when you are in the hills. Probably won’t go back to this general area but that’s part of the DIY process.

Next up was a mid-Nov archery hunt in NV.

Again, flew to SLC and drove west in the rental truck. Never been to NV and so busy at work, I didn’t feel as prepared as normal. Still studied Google Earth and had my spots picked to try. Plan A turned out good. Day 1 I had 6 stalks on bucks - 2 of which were head turners. Getting within 200 yards was doable almost every time but the last 150 yards was difficult. Doe groups had bucks and though the bucks were distracted, there was always that one doe that I missed. She’d run and the others would look around and act like, what’s her problem. And then they’d all scatter. Cold long nights but could have been colder.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back