Weather Considerations 3rd rifle season CO

eatgame

What considerations should I make for weather in the 3rd season rifle in CO vs the 2nd season rifle? I am most concerned with vehicle access to trailheads etc.. I am looking to do a 3rd season hunt unless the weather would be significantly different in a way that would make me end a hunt early. I know weather is highly variable but I am wondering if there is a noticeable increase of snow in the 3rd season, generally speaking.

It really does vary year to year. Generally more snow/colder in 3rd, but ya never know. Is also depends on where you're hunting. 10,000' in 2nd rifle will usually have more snow than 6000' in 3rd. Maybe. Best bet is be prepared for 75 and sunny or 0 and snowing sideways like you have never seen before. Carry chains and a shovel. I have had chains save my rear end before in mud too.

It varies not only year to year but from one part of the state (CO) to another. As also pointed out, altitude makes a big difference. I camp at 8,500 feet and usually hunt third season in NW Colorado. Most years we get a good snow sometime during the season. But like two years ago, it was hot. Temps in the 60's during the day and 30's at night. Four years ago, at the end of the second season there were leaves on the trees. By the time the third season started there were several inches on the ground with drifts up to my waist. And it did not stop snowing. Needed chains to get out. Like said by others, I bring two sets of clothes. One for warm dry and the other for cold wet. Oh, a rain suit is a must. Good luck.

I went this year 17' for 3rd rifle NW Colorado. 50 deg day before season. Snowed us shut the next four days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back