Caribou Gear

Wyoming draw question

WildWill

So I finally have the minimum 3 points required to draw the unit I've been wanting to hunt for antelope but even with 3 points my odds are still only about 20%. But I'm determined to hunt antelope in Wyoming in 2018 so my plan is to put in for the unit I want as my 1st choice and as my 2nd choice put in for a unit with 100% draw odds. My question is if I don't draw my 1st choice my points won't be used in drawing my 2nd choice is that correct?

Last edited:
My question is if I don't draw my 1st choice my points want be used in drawing my 2nd choice is that correct?

I am pretty sure the answer is no, number of points do not effect odds in 2nd choice draw. Which I suppose if fair since you don't lose those points even if you do pull 2nd choice. Have you considered in anteing up for the special draw in your desired unit?

There has been point creep in WY pronghorn. There have also been a few units each year that go from having leftovers in the prior years to not having any. There are also a few units that could be drawn at 100% with second choice that now are not 100%.

WY increased some costs for non-residents so I expect there will be people using up points in 2018 that otherwise would have merely stayed out of the drawing and purchased a point this summer. More entrants in the application process means tougher odds.

Choose wisely and should be able to hunt WY every year for pronghorn as long as realize the short-term outlook is increased competition for the tags. Long term should see non-resident applications decline once they are able to burn accumulated points for elk and deer. For many hunters, pronghorn points are something they do since they are already applying in WY for another species. As hunters cash out and bail as is the case in CO where they are experiencing a rather high attrition rate for high point non-resident applicants that draw and then do not even apply for that species the following year.

Hunters that are not holding out for blue chip tags will get back in line but when a state manages for quality and non-resident tag demand greatly exceeds supply then the attrition is going to happen as costs to apply and to purchase a tag go up beyond a comfort level. We are in a comparative strong economy with stock valuations at all time highs and relatively lower fuel costs. The next downturn is due in about 4 years and will be telling how the non-resident demand reacts, especially as the average age of the big game hunter is rising closer to the point a physically challenging hunt at altitude or in the steep stuff is not likely to provide a high quality experience to an elderly hunter.

To the OP---Just be careful doing what you plan with your second choice and make sure it doesn't restrict you to small areas that may not hold many animals or to private property like the Type 2 tag for unit 23 for instance.

Thanks for the responses guy's. I have considered the special draw but it seems like a waist of points sense in the special it can be drawn with as little as 0 points. I have Wyoming on my onxhunt maps app and will be using it to check and make sure there's descent public access.

Is there anyway to check or help predict if a unit with 100% draw odds this year will remain that way for next year?

Quotas will be out in march, look at your units then to see what they plan on doing with licenses. Final numbers will be approved in April. Plenty of time.

Thanks for the responses guy's. I have considered the special draw but it seems like a waist of points sense in the special it can be drawn with as little as 0 points. I have Wyoming on my onxhunt maps app and will be using it to check and make sure there's descent public access.

Is there anyway to check or help predict if a unit with 100% draw odds this year will remain that way for next year?

Draw odds vary from year to year so no guarantees. 100% draw units in year 201x can easily be 50% units in year 201x+1.

Quotas will be out in march, look at your units then to see what they plan on doing with licenses. Final numbers will be approved in April. Plenty of time.

This seems like a good way to at least get some what of a idea on what will stay at 100% and what won't. Thanks.

This seems like a good way to at least get some what of a idea on what will stay at 100% and what won't. Thanks.
The unit I hunted in 2017 was not 100% draw with 0 points in 2016 but due to increased tags I was able to hunt it as my second choice.

Super hard to predict with certainty. But if you compile the year to year draw odds in a spreadsheet or on piece of paper you might start to notice some patterns....

But a price increase can throw all of that out whack.

Does that same point scheme apply for elk in Wyoming too? I was under the assumption that if your first choice didn't get pulled but your second choice did you still lost all your points... Have I been missing out on years of opportunity because I was afraid to loose my points on a second choice? Typing this I realized I did assume something... normally when I assume things I just make a donkey out of me, I mean it is already built into the word.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/elsapplication/docs/preferencepoint.htm

For nonresident full price elk, full price deer and full price antelope, an individual’s accumulated preference points are only considered in the limited quota drawing for the applicant’s first choice in the preference point drawing.

If the applicant submits the appropriate preference point fee with their limited quota license application for the initial license drawing and does not draw their first choice, they will be awarded a preference point for the year in which the application was submitted. Drawing a license for your second or third choice does not cause preference points to be deleted and the applicant will still be awarded a preference point for the year.

Two ways to lose preference points for an animal in WY-

1. You draw your first choice. All other options build a point if you pay the preference point fee.
2. You fail to apply for a preference point in either the initial or appropriate drawing period for two (2) consecutive years.

I'm looking into my first elk hunt this fall, and have no idea what I'm doing. I started looking at the Wyoming draw rules and regulations during Randy's live Q&A tonight.

Still no idea how they award 1st/2nd/3rd choices- draw a name, then look at choices and available tags? Or take all 1st rounders, then draw names, and repeat with leftovers down the line?

Does that same point scheme apply for elk in Wyoming too? I was under the assumption that if your first choice didn't get pulled but your second choice did you still lost all your points... Have I been missing out on years of opportunity because I was afraid to loose my points on a second choice? Typing this I realized I did assume something... normally when I assume things I just make a donkey out of me, I mean it is already built into the word.

Yep, the same point "scheme", as you put it, is used for deer, elk, and antelope. If you weren't putting down a second and third choice you could have possibly been drawn for one of those units and gone hunting without losing your PPs!

Right from the 2018 Application Booklet: If a person fails to either apply for a drawing with the preference point option or purchase a preference point during the preference point only application period for two (2) consecutive years, all accumulated points for that species will be lost.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/elsapplication/docs/preferencepoint.htm

Two ways to lose preference points for an animal in WY-

1. You draw your first choice. All other options build a point if you pay the preference point fee.
2. You fail to apply for a preference point in either the initial or appropriate drawing period for two (2) consecutive years.

I'm looking into my first elk hunt this fall, and have no idea what I'm doing. I started looking at the Wyoming draw rules and regulations during Randy's live Q&A tonight.

Still no idea how they award 1st/2nd/3rd choices- draw a name, then look at choices and available tags? Or take all 1st rounders, then draw names, and repeat with leftovers down the line?[
/QUOTE]

75% of the tags go to first choice applicants with the most PPs. Everyone is in that drawing regardless of his/her PP total. Then everyone that doesn't draw a tag there goes into the random draw for the remaining 25% of the tags and anyone can draw those regardless of how many PPs they have. If you draw in that you do lose your PPs just like if you had drawn in the PP draw. After those draws if there are any tags left there is a second short application period for those leftovers. After that second drawing is held if there are still any tags left they go first come first served and it doesn't matter whether you're a resident or NR.

Back