Yeti GOBOX Collection

Louisiana Public Land Deer #2

JTHOMP

I haven't deer hunted since I killed my 9 point Halloween Evening. With plenty meat in the freezer and a good set of horns I've been busy messing around with squirrels, ducks, and spending time with family. By this weekend I was ready for some time to myself and hunt. With the latest cold front it has been COLD with temps in mid twenties in south Louisiana. May not sound like much to many of yall but for us down here we aint use to snow and weather that cold. I tried getting out of work Friday morning so I could go hunt in the snow, but the boss man wasn't budging. Had to settle for showing up late because I built a hunter snow man.

Saturday morning I was planning on stalking pigs. With the cold weather I slept in and waited to hit the woods when the frost melted around 0900. The woods I was slipping in were very thick so I took my time and walked slow and careful. Most shots are inside 50 yards. As long as the wind is in your favor it's not hard to stalk a pig or jump one very close in front of you that is bedded. The times I've bumped deer in this area I'm lucky to see a tail if anything, so I was very surprised when all of a sudden there was a whole herd of deer in front of me.

I saw 1 doe, and then another, and another, and another. As soon as I saw them I saw they were nervous I knew I didn't have much time. I picked the closest one about 30yds away and shot. She hit the ground and scrambled another 20yds then expired. After the shot I saw more tails than I could count and another half horned buck. It was cool to see so many deer at once and especially knowing that I was able to slip them in thick woods.

I quarter and packed her back out to the boat. A year and a half old doe about 100lbs. The stalk lasted 1.5 hours and 1,000 yards and was a memorable hunt. I also learned that cypress knees can be used as a 3rd hand when cutting out the hind quarter. Tonight is deer rice and gravy for supper!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 239
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 238
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 237
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 237
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
Might as well brag on my snowman while I'm at it.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 237
Nicely done!! Outside of the bugs and humidity in the summer, I'm thinking I could like LA. ;) :D

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back