MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

WY 2018 with Max points

Labman

What would all of you do in WY for 2018 if you had max points? Not opposed to an outfitted hunt. Just want to kill a giant, or eat the tag. I haven’t waited 12+ yrs (could go another 12 at this rate) to shoot a good bull, so it is a giant or nothing. I don’t want to ride a horse for 6 hrs everyday, or deal with 6-10 commissioner tag holders, so I think 56 is off the list. Would love to hear opinions. Thanks!

If you don't want to ride a horse, that pretty much eliminates all the outfitted hunts in the NW corner of the State, which does produce a lot of the best bulls in Wyoming.

Unit 7 may be your best bet outfitted, cant make a recommendation, but I hear good things about wagonhound. Not sure what you consider a giant, but I think 340-350 is realistic with effort. Bigger are taken in 7 every year though. May be able to pay a trespass fee on some good ground in 7 as well, but again, I don't know any specifics.

Keep researching there are other areas that are very good right now.

Rifle. I will gladly ride a horse all day to get into some country and once there ride a couple hours a day, but don’t want to spend 6 plus hrs on a horse in the dark getting to/from the same country everyday. Have heard from guys that have hunted 56 that the outfitters that hunt the unit don’t have permits to camp back there. Crazy they can hunt it but can’t throw a wall tent up and stay back in there.

You mentioned 56. I assume rifle. 1 tag in 2017 special preference point pass and odds were 5.88%. Regular also 1 tag and 6.25% odds. Simply, you should expect to not get a tag in 2018 based on those odds. You also have a chance in the random pass, right. Not in 2017. No random tags in 56 for non-residents when the dust settled.

I predict odds will be worse in 2018 as a lot of point-builders in max pool that did not apply for a hunt in 2017 are concerned about cost increase so are going to apply for a hunt in 2018. The economy is doing well for older hunters with stock investments so that pushes up applications as well since dropping $1000 on a tag is not as painful as in 2009 when economy and stocks were headed downward while foreclosures were heading upwards. 2018 is a perfect storm for worse odds in the blue chip units.

Now human nature is such the majority of those now active max point elk applicants are not going to apply for anything less than one of the best 5 - 10 hunts for elk in WY. Why apply for a unit that only takes 6 or 8 points to draw? The would be silly. Except, you will almost certainly be hunting in 2018 and will be building elk points again in 2019.

So, do you feel lucky? I expect that 50 to 200 of your max point buddies also will feel lucky and apply where you apply.

Good luck.

Lopehunter, I always feel lucky. It doesn’t always go that way, but at least there is a chance at some of the best tags. I have ruled out 56, just because the thought of about 6 hours a day in the saddle during the hours of darkness and who knows how many when the sun comes up doesn’t sound appealing to me at all. I would rather spend that time in a wall tent, my buddy that did that hunt said he wouldn’t do it again. Better than poor odds with 54 (25%), 59 (11%), or 58 (100%). Anyone hunt any of those recently or have thoughts on those 3? Is the frustration of the 2 Dot, or Hoodoo worth considering 54 or 58? Unless I am missing something Wagonhound doesn’t consistently produce big enough bulls for me to consider blowing max points on 7. Looking at most of their harvest photos they just don’t seem to have giants, or they do a good job making big bulls look small in photos. Also, their hunts are 5 days.

Look for those odds to continue to go down for max point holders as people with max trying for the top, most popular, advertised units now, as opposed to just buying a point. I also have max and have been applying. I'm switching gears to being more interested in getting a whole bull into my truck, than getting a "giant".

Look for those odds to continue to go down for max point holders as people with max trying for the top, most popular, advertised units now, as opposed to just buying a point. I also have max and have been applying. I'm switching gears to being more interested in getting a whole bull into my truck, than getting a "giant".

How the hell do people get full elk into trucks?! I have never been even close to being blessed where that was even a thought. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

124 is a good shot at a monster. They like to hang out by the mine a lot of times. PM me if you want more info.

Rifle. I will gladly ride a horse all day to get into some country and once there ride a couple hours a day, but don’t want to spend 6 plus hrs on a horse in the dark getting to/from the same country everyday. Have heard from guys that have hunted 56 that the outfitters that hunt the unit don’t have permits to camp back there. Crazy they can hunt it but can’t throw a wall tent up and stay back in there.

Yep, the NFS people only give out so many permits and some outfitters only get day permits to hunt an area that doesn't allow them to stay in the unit over night.

My Son drew a WY tag this year with 11 points, it wasn't the best unit in WY but a decent one, he took this bull on Sept 11th I believe. I called him in for a 20 yard shot. (top pin) He went 345 & some change! It's a very nice bull!

ElkNut/Paul

Attachments

• Zoomed.jpg
    Zoomed.jpg
    414 KB · Views: 1,290
How the hell do people get full elk into trucks?! I have never been even close to being blessed where that was even a thought. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I've put 3 in whole and a 4th was close; it was 75 yards from the road but I couldn't get my VW Rabbit over the stumps to get to it. These were "drive to" hunts and they died right on or above, a road or skid trail. Pretty nice when they die above a cut bank; back in 90 deg, wheels drop into the ditch, tail gate drops down into the bank and the Bull slides down and in.

I've put 3 in whole and a 4th was close; it was 75 yards from the road but I couldn't get my VW Rabbit over the stumps to get to it. These were "drive to" hunts and they died right on or above, a road or skid trail. Pretty nice when they die above a cut bank; back in 90 deg, wheels drop into the ditch, tail gate drops down into the bank and the Bull slides down and in.

That last scenario is outstanding!

Great bull ElkNut. I did my last elk hunt with my Dad this year, his knees are shit and he lasted half a day. In order to save our relationship I decided that is it. Elk hunting is on my own from now on, or with guys that can get after it. I have loaded 5/7 of mine whole in the back of a truck or a SxS, it is nice, but would be totally ok packing out a giant over a few days.

Several of the units in the center of the state consistent produce bulls that are 350" and greater. If you are willing to pay for an outfitter then I would look closer at Wagonhound. I have several friends who have killed bulls that go 380+ on that ranch and see bulls just as big or larger every year. One of the major issues with a 7 tag is all of the private land but if you have access to some of the good tracks and the time you can kill a monster.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back