Research Season 17-18, Where you headed?

Going to call/snare the heck out of the coyotes between now and mid Feb to hopefully pay for my AK moose hunt this fall. I'll also be chasing spring snows in ND, Archery deer in ND and hopefully MT elk with the rifle if I can afford it.

@dcopas78- Correct. There is currently not a public draw season in that unit, however the ranches nearby are allotted elk tags. The articles mentioning the Sabinoso talked about future elk hunting. I guess I just assumed that since 16,000 acres is now open to public, and the surrounding ranches sell elk hunts that there would be a draw for elk tags this year. But that's just an assumption. Can anyone speak to this?

Besides MT-

Arizona archery deer and javelina next month
Colorado deer

Then I will apply for the following and most likely not draw any of them:

UT- Deer and elk
NM- Elk
AZ- Elk
NV- Deer, elk, sheep, antelope
ND- Deer
WY- Deer, elk, antelope
Possibly start applying for moose in ID

@dcopas78- Correct. There is currently not a public draw season in that unit, however the ranches nearby are allotted elk tags. The articles mentioning the Sabinoso talked about future elk hunting. I guess I just assumed that since 16,000 acres is now open to public, and the surrounding ranches sell elk hunts that there would be a draw for elk tags this year. But that's just an assumption. Can anyone speak to this?

Gotcha. That would be a cool place to hunt considering that it has been inaccessible for so long.

My 2018 plans
CT Archery deer
Mass Archery, shotgun, ML Deer
possibly Maine Rifle deer
I have 16yrs into the Maine Moose lottery...hopefully this will be my year
SE MT mule deer...this will be my first trip out West to hunt...I am very excited about this hunt and have already done a lot of research and planning. We will also be applying for pronghorn in the same area.
NH Moose lottery (first year I can start applying again)
VT moose lottery

My season will be as follows.

January, double meniscus repair again....

Feb/Mar UT big game app....

Retire from Air Force in July, well start leave, become a Mr in October

July time frame, move back to MT

Don't draw in UT, hunt in MT instead....

AK: Caribou or Moose
CO: Deer
CO: Elk
WY: Pronghorn
TX: Pig

I will be hunting elk, deer, and antelope. Not sure where yet or how many tags I will have. Looking forward to hitting the F5 key a couple thousand times on the game and fish websites in the upcoming months :cool:

WA: deer
WY: elk and antelope (draw dependent), really want to get rid of my points though, but a few too many for a gen tag
ID: elk backup

I'm going to focus pretty heavily on birds next year. Will put in for the usual areas for deer, elk & pronghorn. Donate my money to FWP on some supertags and pray for a bighorn tag or moose tag. I'll more than likely be staying in the 406.

Maybe I'll abandon my meatless method for once.

The possibilities are endless... local elk & deer. Maybe try for Oryx.
A possible fishing trip to WI.

I just got back from a Coues hunt in AZ and had a great time. I hadn't planned on repeating the hunt next year, but I might.

I have my annual hog hunt in Alabama in March.
I expect to accompany a buddy on a pronghorn hunt in Wyoming, same area I hunted this year.
Hopefully I'll have a tag for Wyoming elk, either bull or cow.
Possibly ID or MT deer/elk, depends on Wyoming draw.
I'm in the draw for AK bear, but that won't be until 2019.

For sure tags:

Wyoming: 3 elk tags, 2 buck pronghorn, and at least 1 buck deer tag.
Montana: Guaranteed deer tag.

Draws:

UT: Deer, elk, bison, sheep
NV: Deer, elk, pronghorn, desert sheep, California bighorn
MT: Special deer, moose, sheep, goat
AZ: Coues deer, elk, pronghorn, Rocky Mountain Bighorn
CO: Sheep, and possibly deer, may just get another point
WY: Sheep, goat, bison
TX: Sheep if they offer a tag, a few pubic land hunts, etc.

Wild cards: (will decide before application time and depends on other draws and hunts):

Oregon sheep, Idaho moose.

Will pick up a couple hundred dollars worth of super tag tries in MT, ID, CO, and WY.

WY - Deer x 2
WY - Antelope x 2
WY - Elk x 2
WY - Moose
WY - Big Horn Sheep
UT - General Deer (maybe)

I'm too cheap to hunt elsewhere. I can harvest 6 animals for the price of one animal as a non-resident elsewhere.

Buzz that Texas sheep tag may come via the Big Time Texas Hunts Raffle. If you try for the Whitetail Bonanza you may end up on family's ranch for that hunt.

Good luck all, my only out of state application will be burning my Colorado deer points on a 4th season tag.
Should draw my Wyoming bighorn sheep tag this next year.
Hopefully our annual Texas hog hunt will go as planned.

I still have two tags from last winters research to take care of. Montana Lion Hunt in January and a POW bear Hunt in May.

As for next fall I will be throwing out my usual flyers, with a couple of additions. The big one is AK White Sheep (Listening to Scott Luber and chatting with Buzz at last years Rendezvous convinced me that drawing the tag will be the thing that ends the procrastinating). Since I will have to do it with a guide, I will probably just be doing it once, so I am going to apply for one of the better tags in hopes of seeing more sheep.

I will most likely be hunting Elk/Deer in MT regardless.

MT - elk, deer. I will also put in for the obligatory moose, sheep and goat tags which I have yet to draw in 20+ years
WY - elk maybe? Depends on if my dad wants to get out again.
CO - elk maybe? A really good friend is moving back to CO this winter and wants me to come hunt with him. Probably won't happen until 2019 or 2020
Sask, Canada - waterfowl. Considering a freelance trip in early/mid Oct.

MT otc rifle season tags for elk, deer, and will try to draw the limited species in Montana. Applying again (9th year) for a Colorado unit 40 rifle late season elk tag.

Wy: elk hopefully
Wy: deer should have enough points for tag
Wy: antelope points
Mo: archery deer and rifle deer
Mo: spring turkey gonna try public land hunt this year
Ks: maybe turkey maybe pheasant and duck again

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch