Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Elk tubes.

JWhunter

Looking at picking up a new elk tube what do you all think also I am really trying to get better at calling I'd take any tips or links you may have to share with me.

Thanks,

JW

I use a Phelps bugle tube and love it. It is large but I feel like it works great. Jason Phelps has a bunch of guest appearances on the Gritty Bowmen (you'll have to search the episodes) but he goes over a ton of different scenarios and sounds. They really helped my calling. Corey Jacobsen also has a ton on Elk101 but that is a subscription (totally worth it in my opinion). Best of luck!

That's what I picked up the yesterday since all the calls were 50% off at my local sporting good store. By the way, I'm already a big fan of the diaphragms. This is referring to the the Rocky Mountain hunting calls.

Bought a Rocky Mt. tube this year and love it. It has the adjustable tone bell. Started learning to use it after watching youtube videos from Rocky Mt. calls and Corey also.
Called in and killed my first solo bull with it archery season in Montana.

I have one by rocky mountain and one by elknut. I like the elk nut tube better. Like the rocky mountain and the phelps reeds

Only thing I didn’t like about the rocky mt is that it’s two pieces. I store my tube between the bag and frame on my pack and have had it come apart. That’s why I now run the one piece Phelps. If I carried it a different way I would have been content with the rocky mt.

I have an Elknut Chuckler and Bugling Bull Bully Bull. Both are good. The Phelps also looks like a good design.

As far as learning to call... practice, practice, practice. Pop a reed in your mouth while driving to work every day and work on making sounds. Listen to real elk vocalizations on youtube and try to emulate them.

The next step is learning what the vocalizations mean, when to use them, and why. Elknut's videos and playbook are great for this. Corey Jacobsen (elk 101) and Chris Rowe are also good resources to check out.

+1 for Duck-Slayer. When you forget your tube at the truck and call in a bull with an empty Gatorade bottle that has been cut in half, you realize how overpriced those tubes are...

Back