Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Nevada Rifle Hunt during Mule Deer Rut?

NV_PackMule

Hi all,

I'm new to the boards and new to big game hunting. I have been looking into applying for tags in western NV this year for rifle and archery.

I know the general rule of thumb is the mule deer rut is mid November to early December. It seems to me that a lot of the state's rifle hunts occur during November. I know a general argument for bowhunting is it often coincides with the rut which is one of the best times to hunt deer.

So I wanted to see if I'm understanding this right. I will still be applying for both weapons because archery seems to have better odds in this area anyway.

Bonus question: Is early season of late season archery preferable for mule deer in NV?

Thanks,

NV_PackMule

Early season bucks will be easier to pattern and easier to hunt because they won’t be with does. Late season will have the rut so anything could show up, but way more eyes to contend with.

In Nevada you have to choose your weapon, and apply for those hunts only. No 2 or 3 weapon choices.

Not true. You have to apply for either antlered or antlerless. You can apply for different weapon choices.
The wording from NDOW is vague, but the categories they refer to are : antlered, antlerless, junior, depredation.

Hi all,

I'm new to the boards and new to big game hunting. I have been looking into applying for tags in western NV this year for rifle and archery.

I know the general rule of thumb is the mule deer rut is mid November to early December. It seems to me that a lot of the state's rifle hunts occur during November. I know a general argument for bowhunting is it often coincides with the rut which is one of the best times to hunt deer.

So I wanted to see if I'm understanding this right. I will still be applying for both weapons because archery seems to have better odds in this area anyway.

Bonus question: Is early season of late season archery preferable for mule deer in NV?

Thanks,

NV_PackMule

There are only a couple units open during the rut for archery and they are in the NE corner of the state. Most archery hunts are aug-sep and dec-jan.
The late season hunts in W Nv could pose you access problems due to weather, but also give you the chance to catch migrating deer.

NDOW offers resources to look up the previous seasons draw odds, success rate, and trophy class. I suggest you do a lot of research, and get access info for the areas you want to apply for. I use Onx maps for that.

I know it's a round a bout answer, if you get confused I'll be glad to clear things up.

Not true. You have to apply for either antlered or antlerless. You can apply for different weapon choices.
The wording from NDOW is vague, but the categories they refer to are : antlered, antlerless, junior, depredation.

So if I wanted to apply for antlered deer, could I apply for rifle and archery tags? Or do I need to choose one weapon class? I want to make sure I'm understanding this.

NDOW offers resources to look- up the previous seasons draw odds, success rate, and trophy class. I suggest you do a lot of research, and get access info for the areas you want to apply for. I use Onx maps for that.

I have looked up draw odds, success rates, and tag numbers for the past 5 years for units 21-22, 192-196, 291, and 201-204. I can't remember the units I was most interested in as my hard drive is packed up while we're still in the middle of moving. I have yet to look into access though. Thanks for replying.

Of the areas you listed the best first choice rifle draw odds are in 022 8 to 1. The worst 194-196 38 to 1. Personally I would rather apply for areas that have much better odds of drawing a tag just for the opportunity to go hunting. Almost any area of NV can produce some very big bucks and they don't only appear during the rut but it does help. I don't like waiting 5-10 years just to draw a tag. I know there are people who will not shoot anything except a buck that fits into their definition of a trophy that's not and the choice is yours.
Good luck with your research.

I'm a little late but have a thought on it.
You apply for a hunt with each class of animal and you get 5 choices. One class would be antlered deer. I like to put my number 1 choice as the trophy area and next choices get progressively lower to an area where I am nearly guaranteed a tag. I would rather hunt a low demand area than not hunt at all. One of these times i will get a high demand tag though. I would suggest looking into units 71-75. Mostly public land with good access. 4-1 odds and it has plenty of bucks. I went on three hunts in those areas this year and I will be changing my strategy to include that area for antlered deer this next year.

I'm a little late but have a thought on it.
You apply for a hunt with each class of animal and you get 5 choices. One class would be antlered deer. I like to put my number 1 choice as the trophy area and next choices get progressively lower to an area where I am nearly guaranteed a tag. I would rather hunt a low demand area than not hunt at all. One of these times i will get a high demand tag though. I would suggest looking into units 71-75. Mostly public land with good access. 4-1 odds and it has plenty of bucks. I went on three hunts in those areas this year and I will be changing my strategy to include that area for antlered deer this next year.

This is a good strategy because there are very few units in NV that could be classified as having poor trophy potential. Especially since those so called "trophy" areas don't have monster bucks hiding behind every tree. I also would rather be hunting than waiting years to draw a hard to get tag.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back