Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Trail Race Suggestions?

mdunc8

I started doing a little trail running this summer and really enjoyed it. I ran the Rendezvous Hillclimb in Jackson Hole this year and have started eyeing a race or two for next year. Does anyone have any recommendations for a cool race, in a cool area that's within a days drive of Bozeman? I'm using it as motivation to keep in shape but also hopefully see some new country, so I'd like to get at least a few hours from here. Something in the 6-12 mile range would be great. I enjoy running in the mountains but I'm open to any kind of terrain. Thanks.

I know there is a run along the spine of the bridger mountains, unsure of when that is. There is also one in the bighorn mountains near Sheridan, WY. I’m not certain of the lengths of either run. I believe you have a couple different options of distance for the bighorn run.

I have no interest in running another marathon, so the Ridge Run in the Bridgers, which I can see from my back porch, is out. I've been wanting to check out the Bighorns for a while though...

I agree on the Ridge Run. I've finished it 3 times and don't think I will go for 4.

The Jim Bridger run was always fun. If I remember, that was around 10 miles.

Also the John Colter run is fun. At least the finish is.

Spokane might be of interest and has varying distances.
[video=youtube;_WCLratZUG8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=123&v=_WCLratZUG8[/video]

Check out the Dont’t Fence Me In Prickly Pear Trail run in Helena. It’s typically the first or second weekend in May. They offer a few different options for distance, with the longest being a 30k. Blackfoot brewery also brews a special beer for it that tastes amazing at the finish line. Great run with plenty of community support.

The HURL elkhorn runs just south of Helena have a few different distances. The 50K kicked my butt. 8,000'+ of elevation gain and loss.

+1 to MTHunter and npaden (but I'm biased). The HURL Elkhorn has a 23k race which may be close to what you are looking for. 50k is a butt kicker for sure. I'd love to do the 50M some year, just need to commit the time to train. Pengelly Double Dip is a good tough race in Missoula.

I use this website to find any assortment of runs that I want to do, whether it's a 5k, marathon, or trail runs of various distances. On the left side of the page, you can put the state or city and the distance from a particular place, and then you have the distances to choose from, which will dramatically reduce the search.
http://www.runningintheusa.com/Classic/List.aspx?State=MT&Event-Type=Trail-Run

I'm starting to regret asking. Too many good options out there especially after looking at Genesis's website. It's gonna be difficult settling on one.

I'm starting to regret asking. Too many good options out there especially after looking at Genesis's website. It's gonna be difficult settling on one.

I hoped it helped and not made it more difficult. But I know what you mean. I'll pick an area that I may be alright visiting out of town, or want to do one close to home, pick a type of race or distance, know an approximate date, and go to the site and pick a race. I love it.

Bighorn is awesome (30k, 50k, 50m, 100m) and signup usually opens at New Years...the 30k will sell out in <24hrs. Prickly pear is a good low key race. Another fun one to look at is the Michelson Trail in Deadwood (1/2 and full marathons).

I did the Colter in Three Forks a few times when I lived in Bozeman. Low key, good atmosphere, beer at the finish line.

Back