Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Idaho Hunting Units

Holyfighter117

Hello!

I'm Jake and I am new to the forum. My brother-in-law and I are starting to do research for our first hunting trip out west. We have settled on hunting Mule Deer in Idaho.

We plan on driving ourselves and coming from Illinois we are trying to keep it in the southeast part of the state to give us the most time hunting vs driving. I'm looking for advice on what unit(s) to look into. I think our plan is to put in for a controlled area hunt first and if we don't draw for that we are going to purchase OTC tags for the general season.

Has anyone been through this can give us some pointers? This will be our first time hunting out of state so we are total newbs, lol ;) Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Some thoughts:
1. Read the regulations inside and out. No orange requirement in ID.
2. Google your unit to see what info you can find across the net and other forums.
3. Get in shape. Seriously, you will not be in shape enough when you start humping mountains.
4. Check out local culture and history while here.
5. Stop at YNP on your way out. devote a full day.
6. Consider extra tags: wolf, bear, etc.
7. Make sure you have great glass. Think about a spotting scope.
8. Find a momento from you trip while your here (maybe on the mountain). Even if you take deer home.

I hunted moose in SE Idaho in September and November 2016. A fire burned through part of that area a few months prior and they had an emergency hunt to reduce deer numbers to be more in line with the food that would be available over winter. Was a nasty winter in some parts of the West. The advice to Google a particular unit using search strings such as "GMU 999" + buck and "unit 999" + mule deer would be a start. Then can inquire about whether a particular unit had fire issues that could impact success relative to 2016 and 2017. Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back