Caribou Gear Tarp

Exo Mountain 5500

375H&H

I am a bee's dick away from purchasing a new pack and I have narrowed it down "I think" to Exo mountain gear. Like most of the purchases I make, what separates a good item from a great one is the little features that the great one has. For instance, Orion coolers are better than Yeti not because they hold ice significantly better, but because of the latches, openers, foam top, wide arrange of attachments, and streamlined design. I feel that is what separates Exo from say SG, MR, or others. Their new packs have so many pockets, which really are helpful, dry bag compatible, compartment for tripod, in addition to the standard parts the others have. Yes, you can purchase more pockets for the other packs, but Exo having them built in seems the way to go. Anyone have any thoughts to add or things I may not have considered? Thanks!!

Buy it and you'll love it! Mine has been through the ringer for three years now without a hitch other than being dirty and a little bloody.

Like you said it's the little features, but each person has the features that are most important to them. If you like everything on the Exo I wouldn't hesitate pulling the trigger on that purchase.

Personally I love my SG because I don't like all the little pockets and zippers as that's not my organizational style. I put my sleeping kit in a dry bag, medical/survival in another and food/cooking in a third. This allows me to dump out all of my unnecessary gear at the truck when I'm hiking back from my second load of meat, or dumb my gear at camp when I'm headed up a ridge to scout without having to sort through my pockets to figure out what stuff I need and don't need. These features don't make it better than an Exo, they just fit how I like to do things.

Also I prefer the SG meatshelf to the meat carrying systems of Kuiu, Kifaru, and MR. I've never used an Exo but there system doesn't seem like it can handle a lot of weight because it only uses 2 buckles on each side. Could be 100% it's just the only thing that jumps out at me... everything else seems well designed.

I have all 3 MR,SG and Exo so I'll throw in my 2 cents. I personally love my Exo because of the pockets. I love the stretch pockets on the back and the 2 on the side for water bottles. I love being able to reach back grab my water bottle and put it back without taking off my pack. I find it's easier to disassemble for loading meat than any other pack. Now for the things I wanted to see improvement on most of which I think they have addressed on the newest models. Originally I felt the zippers were cheap not YKK, some of the straps were too skinny (mainly the ones for load lifters and some on the lower shoulder straps). I know they changed the strap width and I believe the zippers as well. I love the Xpac material they use for the main bag because for the most part it is coated with a waterproof coating that's actually works pretty well at keeping your contents dryer. I wish they would put it on the back of the frame so that the blood doesn't soak in the cordura fabric making the Pack smell like rotten road kill by the end of the season.
It would be just as tough and be a lot nicer for cleaning. ( I suggested most of these changes with my original pack and was treated like I was nuts or weird) I wasn't impressed with that aspect of the operation. Funny thing is they addressed the items so I don't think I was the only guy mentioning them. I think they could make some good changes with the shoulder strap yoke thing to allow more airflow but again was received with a poo poo attitude. All in All it is a great pack and I really like it.
Now for the SG. I just purchased the new X curve frame and love it. I think this change was huge and helped them feel more like a MR or Kifaru pack (not so flat backed). The other thing about SG is that I feel carries super heavy weight better than the EXO in my opinion. Something about it just feels better with a load of heavy meat to me. There are some things I don't care for on the SG in regards to the X crossing of the stays on the frame. Just by nature they overlap and cause one of the pads to be a bit higher than the other and I feel that on my back. Kinda nit picky but it bugs me. The frame pads breath way better than the Exo because of the airflow between the pads. The EXO is similar to a MR in this regard. I have the Sky 7400 so its just a big bag with a middle zipper. Because I like the aspect of pockets I think I'd be in heaven with their Talus bag. I have nothing but praise for these packs though. They are tough and light and I'm getting better at loading the meat shelf especially after this year.

It really boils down to what your needs and wants are. Both packs are going to do well and both have some awesome features the other doesn't. Both packs are constantly making improvements as well which is a plus for the consumer. It's a coin toss buddy. Just my honest opinion of both packs

One nice thing I have found on my Exo is how easy it is to wash. The frame comes out easy and I throw it straight in the washing machine. I hang it up to dry out and have not had an issue with it getting any damage. From mud,blood, dust to washing machine it still looks new.

Thanks all for the thoughts. I did purchase the EXO yesterday and it should arrive next week. Any modern pack would be a step up from what I was previously using so like Lawnboy said, all would have benefitted me. Can't wait to give it a go for cats this winter (when we finally get some snow) and spring bear. Love these gear threads!

You'll be impressed with the EXO. I really like what they've done with the new k2 frame. They really beefed up the harness and waist belt padding. (mine is the version prior to the k2)

Came down to a Metcalf or K3500. Like you, the added pockets, sold me on EXO. The padded side pocket for a spotting scope was the final plus.I have not used it out west yet, but every thing I’ve done with it has impressed me.
Pull the trigger, you won’t be disappointed.

Came down to a Metcalf or K3500. Like you, the added pockets, sold me on EXO. The padded side pocket for a spotting scope was the final plus.I have not used it out west yet, but every thing I’ve done with it has impressed me.
Pull the trigger, you won’t be disappointed.

Yes the pocket on the side for my tripod was one of the main reasons too. When packing my deer out this year, which I need to write up on here, my tripod was constantly getting in the way and there is no good place to put it in my pack. With the Exo there appears to be a perfect spot.

I ran the 5500 this year in 3rd season rifle in CO. I have all the attachments on my pack. I pulled my weapons carry and ran my rifle in the side pocket and spotting scope and tripod in the other. I did 85 miles this season with a 40lb pack. The 5500 was very comfortable hiking in some nasty terrain. Took me a couple days to get my pack fitted correctly but once I did had no issues. This pack is durable. Glad purchased it.

One last thing ya’ll. I have a group on FB, Exo Mountain Gear and Mountain Hunting. There isn’t a lot info on on the web about Exo so I started this group to discuss the Exo packs and or any other backcountry gear and hunting. Trying to get more members to ask questions, post experiences, talk about public land hunting, or anything outdoors. Feel free to ask to join. Thanks.

Got my new exo 5500 and crib load panel this week and am totally stoked about it. Love all the pockets and organization it has. Not too much, but just the right amount in my opinion. Look forward to taking it out this winter for cats but especially for spring bear. Thanks to all for your help.

Got my new exo 5500 and crib load panel this week and am totally stoked about it. Love all the pockets and organization it has. Not too much, but just the right amount in my opinion. Look forward to taking it out this winter for cats but especially for spring bear. Thanks to all for your help.

Don't think you can go wrong with it. I have a 3500 and use it out west, tree stand white tail and throw weight in it and walk around town. I love mine. It forces me to shed gear sometimes, but you should be ok with the 5500.

Another fan of the Exo packs here, I have the 2000 and 3500 bags for my K2 frame.

Been using my new 5500 the last 2 days lion hunting and it has been fantastic. The main difference, other than the design, is how after 6 miles in the canyon the pack feels the exact same as when I left the truck. No rub spots, sore shoulders, or anything. Easily good for a week of hunting in the mountains. Good chit

375 H and H load a big cat in there and post a picture!

Chasing after dogs chasing cats is on my bucket list!

I have a MR and a SG really like them but gear is gear and I will get an exo next just to give it a go!

I like my MR Metcalf. But, I'm always wanting something new. I've been eyeing the EXO 5500 and i'm really weighing the idea of getting one. I just think the pack crosses all my requirements.

That being said, I saw that MR is going to have a redesign of their packs coming soon and they have their packs now on sale. Wonder what the redesign will be like?

Got my new EXO 5500 early last month and have used it a few times so far in hunts. By far the most versatile, well-made, comfortable pack I’ve ever used. I like the pack so much that I plan on buying a 3500 this year as well! Great packs, and great company.

I was also considering the Exo 5500 as well as the Kifaru Reckoning. I went with the Reckoning as it seemed to fit my style better and had the side pockets I wanted for tripod/camera in one and spotter in the other. I could also put a small pocket on the front ($15ish) and hold my gun butt or bow cam. There was also a place to hang my water bladder that the Exo did not have. This was last year, so Exo may have added this now.
I also tested both packs. While both were comfy, the Exo was more so empty by a small margin, but the Kifaru excelled as I added weight to both packs. I was nit-picky though as I was about to drop some serious coin on one of them. :)
I wouldn't mind trying a new Exo version for grins now. Can't go wrong with any high-end pack. Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge. :)

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back