Yeti GOBOX Collection

Outside Mag is making public land their business

Irrelevant

From an article this week: https://www.outsideonline.com/22647...erm=The+Next+Great+Western+Land+War+Has+Begun

"Outside would not exist were it not for our public lands and the $887 billion outdoor recreation industry they help support. So, over the past year, we’ve doubled down on our political reporting to tell the stories of the people—both Republicans and Democrats—fighting to protect these wild places. We’ve made a brand-wide effort to aggressively cover the controversies through a mix of features, breaking news, and reader engagement. We’ve put two writers on contract to follow public lands news, which is a substantial investment for a company of our size. We’ve assigned web-only and magazine features about the biggest players affecting our access to public lands.

We’ve also created this regularly updated page as a resource for everyone who cares about this topic—and if you enjoy nature, wildlife, clean air, water, or recreation, you should. We also encourage you to join our Public Lands Facebook group, a place we created to foster discussion and questions about what’s going on—and how you can help."

Pretty cool stuff

I am glad for it. When Chris contacted me that his article was out, I saw it pop up on my news feed at about a dozen other news sites, giving a short blub and linking to the article. That kind of networking will increase their range on these issues, kind of like Grinnell's buying Field and Stream to raise awareness of the growing public lands and grow outdoor recreationists as well.

Last edited:
The only time I've heard the term "sport hunter" it's been used a pejorative. If Outside Magazine simply used the term "hunter" I'd be a lot more comfortable. Third paragraph could use some editing from those editors.

I agree. While I am all for lower the walls so we can hold hands over them on this issue, there are still some very tall walls.

About time the Tecno-Hikers that have had the most impact on Public Lands & made a large profit off said lands in the last 20 yrs is sort of stepping in...sort of.

That was a very insightful article by Elliott. Long, but well worth the time to read.

Squillace, the Colorado professor who focuses on environmental law, doesn’t buy it. “It’s a basic supply and demand problem,” he said. “The notion that Zinke and Trump have promoted is that they want energy dominance. I personally find that to be an incredibly arrogant argument, as if we’re trying to best everyone else at the energy game. But it also doesn’t make any sense from the policy level. Why would we want to destroy and use up our resources when other resources are cheaply available to us?”

Of course, it’s only nonsensical if the motivation is actually to use public lands to increase the collective wealth and prosperity of the American people. But is that really the idea? As Squillace told me, there are thousands of leases that have been sold but are not in development because of the glut. So why would Zinke want to flood the market with more, all but guaranteeing low sale prices?

“This is potentially a plot by the oil and gas industry to lock up leases at bargain-basement prices,” Squillace said. “From an industry perspective, if they can lock up leases that way, and then prices go up, they can all of a sudden develop, and they’ve gotten the resource for almost nothing.”

Sometimes the little things are more telling about the sincerity of someone who claims to be one of us than their words.

As Zinke and I casted over the ice-cold water, I noticed something funny about his setup. He kept struggling to strip line out of the bottom of the reel. For a while, I thought he was simply having trouble concentrating on our conversation while casting. No, there was something wrong, and when I asked him to stand for a portrait, I finally saw what the problem was. He had rigged his reel backward, so that the line was coming out of the top of the reel. Every so often when he went to strip line out, he would grasp air where the line should’ve been.

Seems like an inconsequential thing, but in Montana, it’s everything.

Maybe Zinke is just one of those "not so green decoys". I remember how the hunting and fishing community (including me) mocked the efforts of Clinton and Kerry to pass themselves off as sportsmen, "one of us" as they pandered for votes.

A poser is a poser regardless of party affiliation.

Anyone remember our buddy Kerry's description of his favorite style of hunting? Deer hunting! 'I'd have to say deer,' said the senator. 'I go out with my trusty 12-gauge double-barrel, crawl around on my stomach. ... That's hunting.'

Or how about duck hunting with Slick Willie. (Not the bearded duck commander)

It seems to me that one lesson to take away from Secretary Zinke's actions is that local and state support or resistance to monuments has a huge impact on whether they stay or go. The monuments under review in Montana were unchanged and he's even talking of giving the Badger-Two Medicine monument designation. He knows monuments are viewed more favorably in MT than in Utah and is tempering his actions to line up with local sentiment.

Attachments

• clinton-ducks560.jpg
    clinton-ducks560.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 232
  • j kerry.jpg
    j kerry.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 234
Ol Billy Jeff loves the chase. Maybe not with game, but he's usually on the prowl.

And you all read that in his voice.

That Kerry photo - I totally forgot about how bad those were.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back