Caribou Gear Tarp

Smoker Options

huntid73

Ok everyone, I'm looking at getting a new smoker. I have looked at some propane options, but it seems like these won't smoke at a cool enough temp...or at least that's the biggest complaint. I don't smoke a lot, but would like to do more sausages, smoked steelhead, basically, have the smoker as an addition and not to become the next big pit boss!! Would it be worth to save the money for an electric smoker? Any opinions are appreciated

Doing sausage on a propane vertical smoker is pretty difficult. The temp control sucks.

I would look into electric but keep in mind they have difficult time holding higher temps when it is cold out.

I smoked 50 pounds of summer sausage and 10 pounds of deer sticks on my propane smoker last weekend.

Untitled by naathan2, on Flickr

100 degrees for an hour, 110 for 4 hours and then 170 for a LONG time on the summer sausage.

Ambient temperature is going to have something to do with how low you can smoke with a propane smoker. It was in the 40's and 50's when I smoked last weekend. If it was 90 degrees out I would have had a hard time getting it set that low.

Last edited:
Friends have the Masterbuilt electric and seem to like it. You may need a cold smoker accessory for your choice to do cheese and cold smoked salmon.
I believe you can get an insulated blanket or something the wrap the smoker to help with temps.
This time of the year we cold smoke on cold days and wait for a little warmer one for smoking sausage etc.
My stick burning offset works great in cold and warm weather. I use the upright chamber for cold smoking and the horizontal for hot smoking.

Probably find one on sale right now look at the Masterbuilt or similar, some have bluetooth controls.
I would also get one that takes wood chips instead of pucks or pellets unless you make sure to get the better pellets.
One thing about a propane smoker, you can take it with you for smoking at a gathering away from electricity if wanted.

Are you just looking to cold smoke or do you want to do BBQ-type smoking and grilling too? I have had a traeger pellet smoke/grill for 8 years now and it is VERY versatile. Won't do the really low temps but for 200 and up it is pretty good.

The low temp stuff I will be doing will mainly be sausages (170-190 degree range), while I might do higher temp smoking for hams and ribs. I liked the versatility of the propane, since some of the sausage curing would be at my brother in law's place, and most of the sausage cooking would be at this time of year, hopefully after a deer or elk has hit the ground. Most of even the fish cooking would be more of a higher temp, more like grill cooking. I have to also consider that I'm in SE Idaho, where right now, the temp has been hovering around 25 degrees at mid-day, so I know I will have to baby sit the rig a bit. My old smoker was a charcoal can smoker and I had to basically sit around and never look away from the temp gauge even in warmer temps. I have to admit I am a complete newbie on the smoking game!

I have a master built electric smoker and love it. Easy temp controls, and internal temp viewing without opening with meat probe. Make 10lbs pork butts often with great result. Ribs, veggie and others as well. Found that with the 30" smoker summer sausage kinda difficult to fit but still turned out great. Saw those smokers on sale at cabelas for 100 after rebate and 100 out the door at Walmart. Not too bad for a hundo.

Things I have learned.
1. Buy a digital electric smoker. You'll drive yourself nuts trying to get an analog electric smoker to stay a consistent temperature. No experience with a gas but I would think you would have the same problem.
2. Although you can buy an external meat thermometer having it built into the unit would be great.
3. My electric smoker creates a better smoke than my brother in laws Traeger according to everyone including my brother in law. Not putting down Traeger; we smoke polish sausage, bacon, jerky etc in the traeger.
4. Buy a 40" model if you plan on hanging sausages. I have a 30 inch model but end up having to use smaller casings than I want too. Not a big deal really but wish I would have gotten the 40".

I bought a Masterbuilt Smoker (electric) from Cabela's about a month ago and have used it quite a bit. I got the 40" smoker and with a little sale on it, I paid $400.00 for it. It has been wonderful and simple to use. I am very happy with it and I have not had any issues using it in our garage when it's in the low 30's. I've done a couple of beef chuck roasts, couple of turkeys, a whole chicken, and a nice sized ham. They all turned out really good.

You DEFINITELY want the digital thermostat control no matter what you get.....it is soooooo nice to set a temp and only have to mess with it when you want to turn or rotate something.

I am more than happy with my Masterbuilt electric. Easy and never fails. If you want to do cheese you can get the cold smoker option. It works well. I don't get into the charcoal/propane/electric debate as I'm not competing.

Don’t get a traeger. Cheaply built. Looking to sell mine and get something better

If you are looking at doing bologna, snack sticks, jerky, and maybe a ham or 3. Here's what I have and works great. build a 4x4x8 smoker of 2x4 and plywood, shingled roof, siding, and a door. Out house looking box, turkey burner in the bottom and shelves the rest of the way up. Dowel rods across then you can lay racks for jerky or hang sticks and bologna. I use a cast iron frying pan on the burner and put my wood in to smoke with. Set the temp to 180 with a thermometer on the door and its done. I can fit 200lb of bologna in it in one time. A lot cheaper than other options and a lot more room.

Thanks for the suggestions, I am keeping my eye our for an electric rig to get started, PAGOAT, my brother in law and I were going to try to build a smokehouse, but time and kiddos have put that on hold for right now!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back