Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

My first season as a MT Resident

MT Bound

Wanted to post a summary of my hunting season this year, which was my first full season as a MT resident. As my username indicates, I've been MT Bound for a long time, and finally made it! I've hunted out in MT a lot over the years as a NR, but finally made the move this August, something I've been anxiously anticipating for many many years. It's been an amazing experience to live out here full time.

So instead of lurking all the time I wanted to contribute a little bit, I've gained a lot of info on this forum and would like to thank all the seasoned salts on this site.

I'll keep my posts short and to the point, mostly to pictures so you guys don't have to read a book!

It all started in August when we moved, and wasted no time hitting the streams catching trout, and caught a lot to boot and took in some great scenery.

A nice brown on the Yellowstone

Attachments

• IMG_0434.jpg
    IMG_0434.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 915
IMG_0409.jpg

From there I picked up my bow mid August and went after the antelope. To say it was a challenge is an understatement. At least now I know some areas and have a plan for next year.

If someone wants to rotate these pics feel free, I don't have time to mess with them right now.

I happily gave up the first week of elk bow season to accompany my brother on his mountain goat hunt. It was a success, which is an understatement, the scenery was amazing and we saw a lot of animals of all types. Including getting charged by a sow grizzly 3 times.

He's not on social media so I'm going to respect his privacy, but here's a pic at our camp, about as close to heaven as you can get.

IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

Then I picked up my bow and charged into the mountains, exploring all the new areas that I've been researching online. Some of them panned out with elk, and well..others not so much. Fun none-the-less

A great wallow I found, but a little late in the season, and a few bears crawling around. I will be hitting this one next year the first week

The scenery never ceases to amaze me. Since I've been able to escape the rat race which was slowly killing me out east, I've decompressed, recharged, and am on a whole new level in life now.

IMG_0666.jpg

and of course I put a few grouse in the freezer, Randy would be proud! LOL I only lost a few arrows.....ouch that hurts the wallet!

IMG_0639.jpg

I also was able to hunt a few BMA's to try and fill my OTC whitetail B tag, again more wonderful sunsets.....good for the soul. Surprisingly, it was harder to get the whitetails in range than I anticipated, but I have some spots for next year scouted very well.

IMG_0681.jpg

Bow season came and went, and I put down a lot of miles in boot leather and saw a lot of country, but it just wasn't in the cards for me this season. had some close calls but never pulled the string back once....go figure.

So I gladly picked up my rifle and took off. the second week of the season I decided to hunt somewhere new and fill my mule deer buck tag and went to the breaks.

IMG_0777.jpg

A bonus I found a matching set of elk sheds the second day of the hunt. Right after I found this set I connected on a 3 point buck over the next rise, nothing big but was glad to get some meat for the freezer and focus hard on getting an elk.

IMG_0860.jpg

The snow was a huge help this season. It didn't take me long to figure out once I crossed some tracks I was going to catch up to the elk. I was able to do it quite a bit, but getting a clear shot was a different story in the timber.

The area was not short of predators either. Came across multiple sets of mountain lion tracks and also grizz over the course of the first 3 weeks of the season.

IMG_0873.jpg

yes the prints in the snow here are elk, about a herd of 20 and I caught up to them....2 spikes and all cows, frustrating

IMG_0876.jpg

So after about 3 weekends of having spikes and cows in range but no legal bulls, I decided to try a new area with a tip from my GF's co-worker. I did some quick mapping research online, made a plan A, B and C just in case, and took off. pulled into the camping area before first light and there was only a couple vehicles there. It took me about half the day before I came across elk tracks and I finally caught up with a legal bull and 3 cows about 2 hours before sunset. and of course I just could not get a shot, 70 yards in the trees without them standing still makes it very frustrating. So I walked out in the dark with a plan for Sunday with a new determination to get it done, only 2 weeks were left in the season.

IMG_0874.jpg

So I hiked in 3.5 miles to a remote park a couple hours before dark and got there at first gray light, and.....no sign anywhere, couldn't believe it. So I looped back around to where I cut tracks the day before and luckily came across a set of 3 fresh tracks heading up into the timber. I was on it, and it was apparent they were very very fresh. I followed the tracks for about an hour as they led me into the thicker timber. I was slowly timber creeping....glassing....stepping....glassing again just taking my time looking for that patch of brown or flash of antler. As I was standing there just absorbing and looking, I saw a glint of a branch that appeared like antlers about 80 yards, and with my binocs to confirm I had found 3 bulls bedded behind a large blowdown and branches.

Wind was in my favor, trees to cover my approach so I slowly crept up....then the fickle wind did what it does best and started swirling. One bull jumped up but didn't know where I was, I only had patches of fur with no clear shot and the 3 bulls slowly sauntered off. Once they went over the slight rise I quickly went after them, and to my surprise as I sneaked over the rise the bulls had bedded down again about 70 yards off.

I crawled, kneeled, sat, crab walked through the snow to try and get a somewhat clear shot through the trees. Finally I was able to get a clear lane at one of the bulls and I didn't hesitate at all and took it. The bull was hit hard but I put another in him for insurance as I got closer to him, was not taking any chances after all the miles, sweat, blisters, and calories I had burned this season. To say I was excited was an understatement, to finally shoot an elk as a resident of MT was the pinnacle of my season.

IMG_0930.jpgIMG_0939.jpg

Shot at 11:30, 2 hours to bone him out, then the labor of love of packing out an elk began. I had a smile on my face the whole time. I was about 2 miles in from the trailhead, and with a mile to go I came across two of the nicest guys from Minnesota. They offered to help so I took them up on it, one carried my pack with the elk head, and the other carried my rifle while I dragged the meat behind me in the snow. And the best part is they had a UTV parked at the trailhead and drove me the last 1.5 miles back to my truck. They saved me about 1 1/2-2 hours of hiking. My hats off to the Viking's of MN.... now that I think of it isn't Randy from MN? I don't remember. Great people, I rewarded them with all I had back at the truck, a cold Bud for each while I had my celebratory shot!

It's been a great learning experience having the entire season to hunt in MT, see what the elk are doing, how they react. Hunt new areas, see miles and miles of remote MT, wow I can't believe I actually made it after all these years of dreaming about it.

Hope you enjoyed the pics, I've enjoyed reading all the other posts over the years and gaining info on hunting the West. I hope to contribute more as the seasons come and go.

Congratulations on a great first year. All the miles you put in this year will pay off in spades for you next year. Thanks for sharing your season with us.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back