Wyoming Late December Cow Elk

cpoplayer

I drew a Type 6 elk tag for Wyoming Unit Seven. I had deer tag for that area also and I was planning a combo trip in October. Unfortunately, I had some health issues in September and was unable to make the trip. Myself, my wife, and both our kiddos are off the whole week after Christmas and she asked if my tag was still good for those dates. I told her it was good until the 31st and she suggested we make the trip and try to fill the tag. However, I am worried the elk are now down wintering on private land. I looked at the WMAs in the unit but, I figured they will be heavily pressured over the holidays. I am also worried about the road conditions and the weather. I'm going to give the biologist a call tomorrow for her input.

A couple questions I have are:

What are the chances of finding an elk on public land?

What are the chances of getting landowner permission to shoot a cow?

Feel free to PM me if you don't feel comfortable sharing info in public. Thanks in advance!

I won't be much help, but my friend has a tag for unit 87 that is good through the month I believe and I'll be keeping in touch with him to see how he's doing. I may join him this weekend (if he calls me back). I know he talked to a ranch owner he knows in his unit and he said the snow hasn't yet pushed the elk down to the ranch. If I was hunting public land after Christmas, I would probably look for areas that are adjacent to low lying private areas. Many times the elk will feed there during the night and work their way back to public (cover) during the early morning especially if people are hunting on the private land. I wonder if you can use your tag on the National Elk Refuge in Jackson that time of year? There are sure to be some elk there! Certainly an interesting time to hunt elk. Good luck!

The elk in 7 are really nomadic. They spend time throughout the unit at any given time of the year...we don't have enough snow yet to "push them" down to the private. Hunting pressure for the last 3+ months have them moving around a lot. There are a few ranches that they really pile onto, but look over enough country and you'll find elk.

I always give the advice of keep moving, if you aren't seeing elk, or very recent elk sign, move. Just because you don't see elk in an area today, doesn't mean you shouldn't look it over again in a couple days.

I'll be out snooping around for a friend who has a cow tag out there...I'll send you a PM once his hunt is over.

Thanks guys! I think we are gonna book a hotel in Douglas. If it looks like the weather is going to be more than we can handle, we can always cancel.

Well hotel reservations have been made in Douglas and the rifles have been sighted in. So, barring a snowstorm in the forecast, it looks like we'll be leaving Christmas morning for Wyoming. We haven't told the boys yet. They are going to be so excited. My wife is excited too. The only thing I am worried about is my clothes. I have a 1990's down parka. I hope it is enough!

I have the tag as well, listen to BuzzH, he's correct and these elk are conditioned for a marathon at a moments notice. Found elk every time I've went out, but it's either bulls and no cows or cows on private. I haven't noticed any pattern in which weather has pushed them anywhere besides where I should be versus where I was. I'm still searching and will hunt until the last day on public, If I find anything I'll keep you in the loop.

Since you're coming from FL, I strongly suggest some extra layers made of wool, wool socks, insulated boots, and maybe neck gaiters for the kids. It's going to be single digits at night and, as always, a little breezy, ideal hunting weather IMO.

Since you're coming from FL, I strongly suggest some extra layers made of wool, wool socks, insulated boots, and maybe neck gaiters for the kids. It's going to be single digits at night and, as always, a little breezy, ideal hunting weather IMO.

After we get layered up, I'll probably look like the Michelin man and the boys will look like that kid from A Christmas Story!!!!

Better than being cold!! Good luck you've got some good folks helping out with info. Look at the south part of that area also. Snow yesterday so maybe they moved down a bit towards the HMAs.

Don't rule out Laramie as a place to stay. If you end up hunting the southwestern slope of the range AND we get enough snow, roads from Douglas might get too drifted in some places.

I am heading out to 108 in the morning chasing cows. Looks like it is going to get a little cool during the middle of the week. Will be staying in Rawlins.

Tunnel Road access from Laramie side can be iffy, it is rough, but elk are back in there.

I can't thank y'all enough for the tips! We are packed for the most part. I was planning on taking my .35 Whelen that my dad built on a K98 Mauser action back in the 90's but, the ejector spring broke on it this morning while I was practicing. So, it looks like the Savage 7mm Rem Mag will get the call.

IMG_20171210_124046955.jpg

I don't have any advice, and may never hunt elk, but I just wanted to chime in and say... you guys are seriously AWESOME!! The way you all rallied up to help is just fantastic! I doubt I'll ever get stab at a WY elk, so I will follow along and live vicariously through you on your hunt! GOOD LUCK!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back