Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

PreHunt has made it's debut on Social Media

The results from that add were amazing (what? $50 per inch on that buck???)! I don't believe I've ever seen someone sit in another county for the hero photo and still be in focus. All in the name of "conservation".

Last edited:
Yes, I agree. And that bothers me too. Akin to the 8 guys in almost every desert sheep photo.

8? I saw one the other day with 13 people in the picture, but it was a state record and an auction tag so I'm sure its cool with some.

I could probably sell some super crummy OTC Idaho elk spots where the buyer would see more people than elk.

The blowback on the deer location service was the person at the time was not licensed for commercial activity to provide services for compensation in that state and was not obtaining permits required to conduct commercial activity on Federal land. Get the paperwork in order, pay your taxes and I have no heartburn over bounty scouters anymore than do for guides or outfitters or application services or unit recaps or maps with prior year harvests or trespass fees or equipment rental companies or trail cams or ATVs. All those things make it more likely to obtain a tag or once a tag is in hand to have a successful outcome of the hunter's goal. Some of us like the added challenge of one hunter solo entering into the wilderness carrying camp on our back. Other hunters would not hunt if that was their only option. I am not sure how fair chase is impacted by this. I am not sure how tag allocation equity is impacted. I am not sure how the NA game management model is impacted.

Different strokes for different folks.

Back in the day ... like WAY back in the day (1800s and earlier), this is how the elite "hunted". They would sit in town and wait for one of the locals to come with news of a located, even surrounded animal. Then the shooter, and I say shooter because that's what they called themselves, would hire transport to the animal's location and bang. They didn't waste time hunting, they went shooting.

Lots of tales like that in "Hunting Trips in the Land of the Czars: Sportsmen in Old Russia, 1870-1935"

Time to start Slut shaming these groups, the people that sell this type of info and the end users of the info.

I hope I am right, but I have a feeling this will fizzle out in about a year....I REALLY hope I am right on that guess.

I went to the App store to check it out and here are some interesting bits of info from the site. Here is the link to the app.

•••• How do Location Ads work? Users capture locations using the exclusive PreHunt in-app camera to capture the locations of big game, waterfowl, or upland game animals while hunting. Then the user creates a “Free” ad and attach the exclusive location pictures or video to the ad. That is it. When another user purchases your ad, 80% of your asking price will go directly to you and the other 20% will go to PreHunt as the listing fee. For example: if you post a location ad for $100 then when your ad sells, $80 will be automatically directly deposited into your account. That is a great deal when the app is free and is free to create the ads!!!

•••• Guided Hunts and Guides – Hunting Guides or Outfitters can advertise their hunting packages available or what they have to offer. It is a cheap and very effective way for Guides and Outfitters to be able to advertise their services for all the resident and non-resident hunters looking for a guide. ****Guides and Outfitters will also be able to purchase a badge, so when they place a Location Ad, there ads will stand out compared marking their ads as a credible seller.
How will PreHunt help the guides or outfitters:
- It will allow them for the first time ever, to make money from someone who does not want a guide, but wants to do it on their own.
- It will also help them book more hunts by showing other users what they are currently seeing and not what they have killed. Customers are 10x more likely to book a hunt when they see what animals the Guide is currently seeing.
- Guides can make money on selling locations to animals that they do not want to get a client on, but another user would be happy to go and hunt.
- Guides will need to hire less subguides.
- If a guide is looking for a trophy animal for that certain client and are not currently seeing one, but one happens to be posted on PreHunt. The guide has a chance to go find that animal without disappointment.

They are really pushing the value of it to guides as well. Not sure if that will take hold more than the average Joe spending $100 to go find an animal someone he doesn't know supposedly found. What happens when Joe makes the long trip, heads into the woods, and gasp -- the bull or buck is nowhere to be found? Joe wants his $100 back! Argument ensues, bad reviews get posted, hunter Joe is mad, and track seller is frustrated.....he can't guarantee that big bull or buck will stay put, right? What is an animal location seller to do? Sheesh.

Crossing fingers that we fast forward a bit, and this thing is dead in the water.

OK, made the mistake of going to their site.....this is complete BS. I am now more disgusted with this "business" they are pushing.

Oh, but look at this really great feature. Glad it is so easy for someone to make $80 to send a photo to someone who will then go to said secret spot and make it not so secret anymore....
PreHunt BS.jpg

GPS Spoofing will be their downfall. I sit at my computer and take photos of bucks from google with their app with fake GPS coords. CHA-CHING!

It will cost you your credibility.

No more than buying a location to an animal to later boast how I’m such a great hunter. Besides, if I could find a Sasquatch I’d be the envy of all the other kids on the block:D

This is really unfortunate. I can't believe someone would be dumb enough to purchase this crap.

How about the first time some guy buys one and then finds out it is on private land? I sure hope this fades away fast as it sure takes away from what hunting is supposed to be IMO.

Back